Luke Bruest Vs Chad Wingard

Luke Bruest or Chad Wingard

• Luke Bruest

Votes: 143 43.7%
  • Chad Wingard

Votes: 184 56.3%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Marks inside 50 is Hale, Rough & Gunston 87 and Schulz & Westhoff 87!
So it really doesn't help your argument as Wingard should just be at 2 players feet where Breust has to be at 3.

you realise marks inside 50 means there is no opportunity to crumb them don't you.....

tell me the times targetted stats and we can talk.

Luke Breust vs top 8 teams in 2014

Round 2 vs Essendon: 14 disposals, 4 marks, 3 goals
Round 3 vs Fremantle: 24 disposals, 7 marks, 4 tackles, 3 goals
Round 5 vs Geelong: 13 disposals, 2 marks, 2 tackles, 3 goals
Round 8 vs Sydney: 13 disposals, 5 marks, 3 goals
Round 10 vs PA: 14 disposals, 2 marks, 4 tackles, 3 goals
Round 14 vs Collingwood: 20 disposals, 3 marks, 5 tackles, 4 goals
Round 16 vs NM: 14 disposals, 1 mark, 4 tackles, 1 goal

Breust is nothing if not consistent. Another 3 last night. Hard to argue that he's not the best small forward in the game with Rioli on the sidelines.

Yeah... by the time Chad is 23 he will be a head of where Breust is now if you don't believe he is already.

How is it comforting for you that Hawthorn need Breust to be better now as they are genuinely challenging for a flag this year, while it doesn't matter so much for Port.

Bruest is the better forward and goal kicker.

However Wingard is the all round better player. Bruest can go missing in games when supply is limited. Chad however always looks to asert himself on the context somehow.

Personally I would rather Wingard at Hawks, although I am splitting hairs here a bit.

However Wingard is the all round better player. Bruest can go missing in games when supply is limited. Chad however always looks to asert himself on the context somehow.
I think it's Wingard's marking. Smalls with that aerial ability seem better at imposing themselves on games.

Bruest is the better forward and goal kicker.

Personally I would rather Wingard at Hawks, although I am splitting hairs here a bit.

Given the way they both play, this should make sense. However, the reality is different. Wingard has gone missing several times this season, for both full games and within games whilst Breust has remained a consistent contributor. This appears to be backed up statistically as Breust has kicked goals in every game this year whilst Wingard has gone goalless 5 times. Wingard has also had 11 or less disposals 3 times whilst Breust has only had it once (and even then he laid 7 tackles, had 2 goal assists and kicked one himself).

Given the way they both play, this should make sense. However, the reality is different. Wingard has gone missing several times this season, for both full games and within games whilst Breust has remained a consistent contributor. This appears to be backed up statistically as Breust has kicked goals in every game this year whilst Wingard has gone goalless 5 times. Wingard has also had 11 or less disposals 3 times whilst Breust has only had it once (and even then he laid 7 tackles, had 2 goal assists and kicked one himself).
This. Breust has been super consistent all season where as Wingard (like a few other young Port players) have been worked out and have been MIA for a number of weeks now.

I can accept that Wingard is younger and has very obvious talent but the fact is that currently he isn't better than Breust and pretty much every relevant stat backs that up. Will Wingard be better in the future? Maybe? Probably? Yes? Even so, that's just conjecture at this point. Until it actually happens Breust remains ahead.

Interesting that Lewis said on 360 that Wingard is the best player in the comp
Haha I thought of this thread when he said that. When they questioned him about it "the best in the AFL?" he clarified that he is his favourite to watch. He also had a bit of a wry smile when he said it which leads me to believe he may have been taking the piss given Lewis tends to clash heads with a few Port players every time we play you.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Haha I thought of this thread when he said that. When they questioned him about it "the best in the AFL?" he clarified that he is his favourite to watch. He also had a bit of a wry smile when he said it which leads me to believe he may have been taking the piss given Lewis tends to clash heads with a few Port players every time we play you.

I think it was less about 'clashing heads' and more in response to Clarkson's comment that Wingard is the player he'd most like to recruit. Seems like some work is being done behind the scenes (and now through some public comments) to entice Wingard to request a trade to the Hawks. This article (admittedly light on facts) seems to also have put 2 and 2 together:

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...007736459?nk=33fe79f46bfcbdbd790d42d841e387c1

I think it was less about 'clashing heads' and more in response to Clarkson's comment that Wingard is the player he'd most like to recruit. Seems like some work is being done behind the scenes (and now through some public comments) to entice Wingard to request a trade to the Hawks. This article (admittedly light on facts) seems to also have put 2 and 2 together:

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...007736459?nk=33fe79f46bfcbdbd790d42d841e387c1
Lol Wingard leaving. No chance. One of few port players that I am extremely confident will be a one club player.

That "journalist" clearly is just writing crap in order to get more people to read what he wrote.

Lol Wingard leaving. No chance. One of few port players that I am extremely confident will be a one club player.

That "journalist" clearly is just writing crap in order to get more people to read what he wrote.

I don't think he will leave either. Do think, however, that Lewis said what he did in response to Clarkson's comment (Wingard being the no 1 player he'd like to recuit) rather than some clash/vendetta with Wingard or Port. As I don't know if Clarkson's comment came before Lewis', the alternative is that there has been a discussion at Hawthron about who to pursue and Wingard's name has come up. Either way, highly doubt Wingard will leave.

I don't think he will leave either. Do think, however, that Lewis said what he did in response to Clarkson's comment (Wingard being the no 1 player he'd like to recuit) rather than some clash/vendetta with Wingard or Port. As I don't know if Clarkson's comment came before Lewis', the alternative is that there has been a discussion at Hawthron about who to pursue and Wingard's name has come up. Either way, highly doubt Wingard will leave.
Or they both just highly rate Wingard without having a secret agenda behind it

Or they both just highly rate Wingard without having a secret agenda behind it

Wingard's a great player but no-one in their right mind beleives he is the best player in the league. He said it with a cheeky grin (and cheeky tone) and as is typical of Lewis I expect it was simply following up Clarko saying he is the 1st player he'd like to recruit (which was probably a genuine answer). As I said, I highly doubt this means Hawthorn are after him.

Wingard's a great player but no-one in their right mind beleives he is the best player in the league. He said it with a cheeky grin (and cheeky tone) and as is typical of Lewis I expect it was simply following up Clarko saying he is the 1st player he'd like to recruit (which was probably a genuine answer). As I said, I highly doubt this means Hawthorn are after him.
He clearly said "well he is my favorite player", again I highly doubt that there is a secret meaning behind it (or that he said it just because his coach said if he could pick anyone to have in the AFL it would be Wingard) and I would suggest that they both just rate Wingard extremely highly (as many people do).

At the moment, Beust.

On potential, Wingard.

Interesting that Lewis said on 360 that Wingard is the best player in the comp
But that's not what he said/meant.

He said Wingard was his favorite player, after realizing that the question was " who is the best player".

I thought it was quite humurous that the media jumped on it and claimed that Lewis said he was the best player in the league. They'll do anything for a story.

But that's not what he said/meant.

He said Wingard was his favorite player, after realizing that the question was " who is the best player".

I thought it was quite humurous that the media jumped on it and claimed that Lewis said he was the best player in the league. They'll do anything for a story.
Not even his "favourite player", it was his "favourite player to watch".

For example, Buddy is still one of my most favourite players to watch but he's far from my favourite player.

Hawks fans can't stand the fact that their own club rates Wingard, jeez...
I don't have any problems with my club rating Wingard. I rate him myself. But when people come in here misquoting our players to try and prove that their up and coming talent is better than one of our players then we're going to correct them.

In summary:
- Breust is currently better than Wingard.
- Wingard is an amazing young talent and may be better than Breust in future seasons. Maybe even next season.
- Wingard is at the top of Clarkson's recruiting wishlist. He can't recruit Breust so this doesn't mean he rates Wingard > Breust.
- Wingard is Jordan Lewis' favourite player to watch. He simply enjoys the way he goes about it. Much like how people enjoy watching Rioli but don't rate him the best in the league.

Back