Delisted Luke Delaney

Remove this Banner Ad

The have added some text:

http://www.saints.com.au/news/2013-11-30/delaney-eases-into-his-new-home

“I had a hip scope at the end of last year so I’ve progressed to running last week. It is a bit of a gradual process."
“Fingers crossed I should be in with a few skill groups before we go on the Christmas break but probably not competitive wise until after the break.”

“I’m not in the group when they’re training on the track but to get amongst everyone when we’re out and about at the hotel, it’s good to get to know everyone. It’s been very good so far."

The state of the art facility is used by the University’s many different sporting teams.

“It was unbelievable, really good. There were a few big American boys in there doing their weights and showing a few of us up. It is a really nice facility and I think we’ll be in there for most of the rest of the trip so it would be good to work out in there.”

Will be a good player. Sad to see him leave as I think he will be a better option than Grima over the coming years. The only positive about him leaving North is that we kept his younger brother who is taller, more attacking and I believe will be an outstanding defender.

I'm happy looking at some positives each week and i think Delaney is having a seriously underrated season for us currently. He obviously struggled at North Melbourne for a game and couldn't get consistent games at all but coming to St Kilda he looks really settled and a very solid unit down back for us. He isn't a Harry Taylor, Luke McPharlin etc so won't get noticed much at all by the media.

Before tonight he was Involved in 23 marking contests beaten in only 1, i am not sure on tonight's but didn't see him lose any while giving Lachie Henderson a bath. The only problem i've seen with him is his kicking.

Overall very happy with Lukey Delaney i reckon he would be top 5 if not definitely top 10 in our best and fairest currently.

An excellent addition and has plugged the problem that we had for several years. Seriously underrated.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Been very impressed with him. I was of the opinion that he was a bit of a spud and would only be a fringe player at best. But I am happy to say he has proven me wrong and has rarely been beaten down back, a far cry from the situation we've had in previous years where guys like Gwilt and Fisher have had to play on opponents much taller and stronger than them and have been found out. Together with Bruce it looks like we have the makings of a very solid backline. :)

i reckon when we traded him in alot of people would thought that he will fill a hole for a few years until we draft a key back, but based on his form this season i can see him playing fb for the saints for the next 5+ years.

I thought he'd only be a stop gap as well but he's looking like exactly what we needed and is still young. Pretty much every kick is a turnover but apart from that he along with Bruce are looking like cornerstones of a pretty solid backline. Will need to fix up his kicking a bit though.

I reckon we're gonna have one of these threads about Bruce one day just quietly. Like the way he's coming along as well!

I thought he'd only be a stop gap as well but he's looking like exactly what we needed and is still young. Pretty much every kick is a turnover but apart from that he along with Bruce are looking like cornerstones of a pretty solid backline. Will need to fix up his kicking a bit though.

I reckon we're gonna have one of these threads about Bruce one day just quietly. Like the way he's coming along as well!
Big fan of Brucey doing alright for a 22 year old KPD.

We contested three finals series with Zac Dawson as our full back, and I've got no doubt that Delaney is better than Zac. This may be due to his physical strength in the marking contests (where Dawson was often out-muscled), but Delaney also seems deceptively quick for such a solidly built bloke. (Not to mention the fact that he doesn't take any sh*t from anyone.) We have to remember that he is really a player that is purely a full back and isn't suited to playing anywhere else on the field, and that is exactly the reason he coudn't hold down a spot at North - because they had the best full back in competition in Thompson keeping Delaney out of the side. Had he been playing with another club he might already be a 100 game player, so the fact that people were under-selling his ability was more due to a lck of opportunities rather than a lack of talent. It sounds like he is very appreciative of the Saints recruiting him, so I reckon he'll be a Saint for the rest of his (hopefully) long career.

McEvoy, Dal Santo and Hartung (48 unused, 59 and 77 rookie promotions) for Savage, Longer, Delaney, Bruce, Dunstan and Acres. Plus Billings with our own pick 3, Eli as a bargain in the rookie draft, and an Mature player in Weller.

Yeah, recruitment is one aspect I'm really really happy with at the moment.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back