Delisted Luke Delaney

Remove this Banner Ad

Height isn't the only factor.
I know he's young, but right now he's getting beat on the lead and in contests. For a CHB to play 1-1 most of the game, the CHB needs to be able to win a lot of these situations on his own. That is the only way we will have the flexibility to let the loose player help Delaney most of the time.

Say we had Delaney at FB, Bruce as loose, and someone like Alex Rance at CHB - then I'd feel a whole lot better about the structure moving into the next few years.

Bruce needs time, he's only 21(?) and has played less than 20 games, in teams that have been completely destroyed more often than not. He doesn't look too bad as the tall flanker (in the Gilbert mould) but I think we gotta give him a bit more time to get used to playing on the oppositions talls.

Would be pretty handy having a 196cm CHB who can not only hold down a KPB position but also provide run out of the backline. No doubt he has a bit to work on, but that's what the next couple years are for!

haha please no Rance. He's not too bad 1v1, but if you let him kick it... we're wrecked.

I don't care about how well our 2 KPDs can kick. If we had Delaney and a lockdown CHB and neither could kick, I'd be happy.
Bruce as the 3rd tall would be cracking. Newnes and Roberton/Shenton playing off HB. Wright/Geary playing the small hard defender role. That's a nice 6 at the back, and we can rotate others through there along with having a spare man back a lot of the time.

When 3 of our mids can't consistently hit a target 30m away - that's when foot skills are an issue...

I don't care about how well our 2 KPDs can kick. If we had Delaney and a lockdown CHB and neither could kick, I'd be happy.
Bruce as the 3rd tall would be cracking. Newnes and Roberton/Shenton playing off HB. Wright/Geary playing the small hard defender role. That's a nice 6 at the back, and we can rotate others through there along with having a spare man back a lot of the time.

When 3 of our mids can't consistently hit a target 30m away - that's when foot skills are an issue...

Don't dispute the fact that we need a lockdown CHB, and I can still see Bruce performing that role for us. Bruce doesn't have the kicking ability to be that loose 3rd tall (like a Lachie Hansen). Still believe kicking is an important component, because with the direction of the game atm, where keeping possession is important tactically, having two potentially very poor kicks would not be a good thing.

Don't dispute the fact that we need a lockdown CHB, and I can still see Bruce performing that role for us. Bruce doesn't have the kicking ability to be that loose 3rd tall (like a Lachie Hansen). Still believe kicking is an important component, because with the direction of the game atm, where keeping possession is important tactically, having two potentially very poor kicks would not be a good thing.

Once we get the rest of the list up to shape, I reckon our 2 KPDs will spend their time punching the ball clear. When they end up with it in hand, they'll be handballing to Newnes, Steven, Acres, Wright and whatever outside mids we pick up in the next 18 months, who run it out from the back. In 2-3 years time we are going to be handball-heavy.

Height isn't the only factor.
I know he's young, but right now he's getting beat on the lead and in contests. For a CHB to play 1-1 most of the game, the CHB needs to be able to win a lot of these situations on his own. That is the only way we will have the flexibility to let the loose player help Delaney most of the time.

Say we had Delaney at FB, Bruce as loose, and someone like Alex Rance at CHB - then I'd feel a whole lot better about the structure moving into the next few years.
Fisher had bags kicked on him regularly when he first started playing but then turned into one of the best one on one players in the comp. Bruce isn't a finished product, it takes time.

Isn't getting any love in the media, he is getting overlooked but IMO shouldn't be.. Has really been a pretty underrated pick up and i've been very impressed as i'm sure we all have.

Hopefully one day the media show him some love.

Isn't getting any love in the media, he is getting overlooked but IMO shouldn't be.. Has really been a pretty underrated pick up and i've been very impressed as i'm sure we all have.

Hopefully one day the media show him some love.

Once we have had our B&F/Presentation night later this year, people will see how he is rated internally.

Votes &/or awards will highlight the job he's been doing for us.

Particularly during our horror games.

I reckon he'd be really close to leading the B&F after 16 rounds.

Lenny (missed 1)
Roo (had a flat 4 weeks)
Delaney (consistent, played every game)
Dempster (consistent until last 3)

Very nice to see Car Keys getting the job done for your boys. I for one was sorry to see him go as he was starting to show some really good signs towards the end of last year. Late last year he was in a couple of games actually directing things down back. Still a bit dodgy disposal wise but I think if he continues as he has so far this year he is likely to have a very nice career for the Saints. My best wishes to him.

I think it's important to note, as well, that he had 5 kicks and all his disposals were at 89% DE.

People have bagged his kicking in the past, but it has definitely gotten better. His use is getting better as he gets more confident. I really think we have found a serious FB for a long time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Very nice to see Car Keys getting the job done for your boys. I for one was sorry to see him go as he was starting to show some really good signs towards the end of last year. Late last year he was in a couple of games actually directing things down back. Still a bit dodgy disposal wise but I think if he continues as he has so far this year he is likely to have a very nice career for the Saints. My best wishes to him.
Think both clubs did well out of the Dal & Delaney deals . 99% of Saints fans still have a soft spot for Dal and are happy to see him also do well:thumbsu:

Think both clubs did well out of the Dal & Delaney deals . 99% of Saints fans still have a soft spot for Dal and are happy to see him also do well:thumbsu:

Yes, we certainly love having Dal at North. Has been very good for us in my view and it was good to see him say after the game in Hobart that he really didn't get any enjoyment out of playing against the Saints, apart from of course being on the winning side.

I'm also annoyed at Dal.

I don't buy the "pushed out" vibe.

He has a better contract and a shot at a flag.

He was happy to go, they don't call him the smooth mover for nothing, he just played it better than the guys that had done this previous.

I'm also annoyed at Dal.

I don't buy the "pushed out" vibe.

He has a better contract and a shot at a flag.

He was happy to go, they don't call him the smooth mover for nothing, he just played it better than the guys that had done this previous.
Im also of the thinking that Dal was a lot happier to go than some people think.
But hey , who cares. He gave us great service and he wouldn't be around for our next tilt anyway. The club seemed like a dysfunctional place last yr so I don't really blame a player with only a few yrs left for seeking other options.
Plus I couldn't be bothered wasting any energy being pissed off about a player who leaves. Id rather think about the players who want to be there.

Meh, we got Luke... nothing else really matters.

Why did Dal leave? No idea and don't care... just another footy player. Life goes on.

I don't particularly care, I just don't buy his story.

I'm not losing sleep over it, trust me :)

Here's what the 2015 Champion Data Prospectus had to say about Delaney:

He conceded the most goals of any player in the AFL across the H&A rounds (50) and was defensively minded: rating poor for disposals, metres gained, rebound 50s and intercept possessions.

Recorded the 8th lowest losing % of the 31 players to be involved in at least 50 defensive 1v1 contests.

Here's what the 2015 Champion Data Prospectus had to say about Delaney:

He conceded the most goals of any player in the AFL across the H&A rounds (50) and was defensively minded: rating poor for disposals, metres gained, rebound 50s and intercept possessions.

Recorded the 8th lowest losing % of the 31 players to be involved in at least 50 defensive 1v1 contests.

Can't really blame him when the ball was coming in so easy for most of the year.

Can't really blame him when the ball was coming in so easy for most of the year.
Agree. If the senior players stay fit and he gets support from others he should go better. Hard to judge on last year thats for sure.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back