Luke Hodge - Hall of Fame Legend Status?

Is Luke Hodge worthy of Legend status in the Australian Football Hall of Fame?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I wouldn't think so. As good as he's been its an individual accolade, and his individual record doesn't match the other legends.

Still not finished.....What separates Podge from the rest of his contemporaries is his leadership & on-field presence....That is what marks him as a legend of the game & in which he stands head & shoulders above his peers.

Anyone who denies this fact is blind, a fool or both....His finals performances also set him apart & mark him out as THE most dominant player in this generation.

He's right up there alongside Barney as a Hawk legend....And I've seen both of their careers.

I do wonder how many current Hawks will become Hall of Famers...

Surely Hodge and Mitchell will. Maybe Roughead, Lewis, Burgoyne, Rioli?

As for legendary status, there should be a 20 year cooldown period before anybody can be elevated to that status. Hodge and Mitchell are the only possibilities in my mind but there are many better candidates still to be chosen first.

Also how many of Geelong's dynasty will be hall of famers? Ablett, Scarlett, Bartel, Enright should. Maybe Chapman, Johnson, Selwood?

Ablett, Scarlett, Bartel, Enright and Selwood - yes.

Johnson - close to?

Chapman - not close.

Here's an interesting one.

Luke Hodge is a lock for the HOF. No question. However, is he worthy of Legend status? The ones people throw up from the current era are GAJ, Judd and maybe Goodes. Hodge could be the 4th.

4 time Premiership player
3 time Premiership captain
Captain of a threepeat
2 time Norm Smith Medallist
2 time Best and Fairest
3 time All Australian

Add to the above credits his renowned toughness at the ball (he can be a thug but he's still tough at the ball), his regular standing up at big moments and in big games, his respect industry wide as a captain and player. I think his individual achievements in terms of awards are actually unders given his ability. Is he worthy of Legend status?

My gut feel is no. I don't think his best is up there with GAJ, Judd and Goodes. But it's getting harder and harder to argue against it. He's an absolute gun.
Individually not in the ball park, even though he is the captain and a key player in an all time great side.
There will be guys who have won Brownlows, won 5 plus best and fairests and 5 plus AA's not getting a look in there (Riewoldt as a current player not mentioned has some of that covered)

I don't think Hodge has ever been in the Brownlow discussion, as good as is he is, because he does not play to a stand out level enough over an entire season.

For mine GAJ is the only one of the other 3 you mention who I would strongly consider for legend status.

Buddy is a freak no doubt, I loved watching him play but man was he frustrating as well. His athletic ability is unbelievable, he was much more of a team player than many gave him credit for but a Legend if he retired today? Not sure about that, maybe I'm selling Buddy short but I think people forget just how special Gablett, Plugger and Dunstall were.
Many also forget that like Hudson before him Dunstall would have kicked more goals if not for some serious injuries.

He was frustrating because we knew what he could do though, he was like superman. Yeah he wasn't a godlike contested mark and his accuracy could be off, but you'd never see legends like Plugger or Dunstall streaming through the midfield making great defenders looking like clowns trying to chase him down either, every player can't be great at everything. And remember the 2007 goal against Adelaide that started this era? His one billion unstoppable goals in 08 that dragged us to a shock flag? The goal that should have gotten us to a GF in 2011 if we weren't completely stuffed? Those two goals of the century against Essendon? Burn my tongue for saying it, but all of a sudden starting to take contested marks all over the joint in 2014 and looking ridiculously good in a team full of pretenders in that GF? To me he's a legend of the game even if he did leave us.

Still not finished.....What separates Podge from the rest of his contemporaries is his leadership & on-field presence....That is what marks him as a legend of the game & in which he stands head & shoulders above his peers.

Anyone who denies this fact is blind, a fool or both....His finals performances also set him apart & mark him out as THE most dominant player in this generation.

He's right up there alongside Barney as a Hawk legend....And I've seen both of their careers.
That is still Gary Ablett jr, Against crap teams, great teams, finals, day games , night games, a part of a gun team, being the best in a young team, getting wins where there was none.

Ablett is the most dominant player because week and week out for nearly a decade he has been the best.

He was frustrating because we knew what he could do though, he was like superman. Yeah he wasn't a godlike contested mark and his accuracy could be off, but you'd never see legends like Plugger or Dunstall streaming through the midfield making great defenders looking like clowns trying to chase him down either, every player can't be great at everything. And remember the 2007 goal against Adelaide that started this era? His one billion unstoppable goals in 08 that dragged us to a shock flag? The goal that should have gotten us to a GF in 2011 if we weren't completely stuffed? Those two goals of the century against Essendon? Burn my tongue for saying it, but all of a sudden starting to take contested marks all over the joint in 2014 and looking ridiculously good in a team full of pretenders in that GF? To me he's a legend of the game even if he did leave us.
Don't forget the coast to coast where Suckling kicked in with a 70m torp to Stratts who hand balled to Buddy as he fell over, so Buddy had to hurdle him in full flight and then bang it home from 70 out himself! He's a HoF for sure and could be a legend, I said earlier though, nobody really should be a legend for a good 15-20 years after they have stopped playing so we have a while to wait for all of this to sort itself out

Don't forget the coast to coast where Suckling kicked in with a 70m torp to Stratts who hand balled to Buddy as he fell over, so Buddy had to hurdle him in full flight and then bang it home from 70 out himself! He's a HoF for sure and could be a legend, I said earlier though, nobody really should be a legend for a good 15-20 years after they have stopped playing so we have a while to wait for all of this to sort itself out

Yeah I agree on the wait, it's just when both Ablett and Franklin have actually been accused of being so good that they make their teams worse, oh boy do you have to be damn good. Forget about an arbitrary legends list made up of around 10 people, 3 of who played in completely different comps, there are plenty of greats that will never make the AFL's stupid list (Hodgeeey lol), and there are plenty of forgettable players in the HoF to be honest.

Last edited:
That is still Gary Ablett jr, Against crap teams, great teams, finals, day games , night games, a part of a gun team, being the best in a young team, getting wins where there was none.

Ablett is the most dominant player because week and week out for nearly a decade he has been the best.

Can't argue with you there....Ablett jnr has been the best in the H&A rounds for a decade & will be a legend.

When it comes to big games & finals however, that is where the Podge is King....When it counts the most, Podge rises to the occasion & lifts his game to another level altogether separate from his contemporaries....And that is the mark of a truly great player & what characterizes him as a legend of our game.

Can't argue with you there....Ablett jnr has been the best in the H&A rounds for a decade & will be a legend.

When it comes to big games & finals however, that is where the Podge is King....When it counts the most, Podge rises to the occasion & lifts his game to another level altogether separate from his contemporaries....And that is the mark of a truly great player & what characterizes him as a legend of our game.
We cant call it now though as most of the modern day players are still in our minds and all supporters are biased towards them then legends of the past imo.

We need to honestly wait 20 years to see who will be remembered.

Hodge will never be given any consideration for Legends status. The only two players of his generation that will be considered are Ablett and Judd.

We throw around these labels too liberally and apply them to players who have no hope of ever receiving this honour. Hodge is a wonderful footballer and a great leader; he has played exceptionally well across a number of big games. But he has never been the best player in the league and on only three occasions was considered good enough to make the All-Australian team.

Hodge will be a first ballot entry to the Hall of Fame - and deservedly so - and be remembered as one of the finest captains in league history. It's a great legacy but anyone who believe he will be named a Legend simply doesn't understand what the award represents.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I doubt Hodge is worthy of legend status on the basis of his individual skills.

However knowing what you know now about how other 'potential' legends careers have turned out, if you had a choice of drafting one of Ablett (Junior), Judd, Goodes, Franklin or Hodge, who would you pick? I think I'd only take Ablett before Hodge and even that would be a marginal decision. Ultimately it's about winning flags and Hodge's leadership and big game performances likely win you more flags than the others, all other things being equal.

Here's the thing with that, Hodge hasn't actually performed any better than his contemporaries in finals other than having 2 Norm Smiths (based on subjective panel judging). Mitchell could just as easily have 2 (was just as good as Hodge last year, was possibly better than Cyril yesterday. IMO there is little to no proof that he has performed above and beyond Ablett, Judd, Pendles or Johnson in finals in the past decade.The difference is that he has experienced great team success.

To show that this isn't coming from an anti-Hawks point of view, it is Mitchell that has been your best finals player over the journey and it is he who actually lifts his output (statistically supported- unlike Hodge) during finals games compared to regular season games. If you were to argue about a player from this dynasty being discussed as a legend- it would be Mitchell, who most Hawk fans and non-Hawks fans have regarded as the superior player from a few years into their careers right up til now. Hodge is a better leader no doubt, but Mitchell is the superior footballer.

His career isn't over yet. If Hawthorn manage to squeeze out another flag, and he takes home Normie, he'd be a very real chance of being named a Legend in the future.

Here's the thing with that, Hodge hasn't actually performed any better than his contemporaries in finals other than having 2 Norm Smiths (based on subjective panel judging). Mitchell could just as easily have 2 (was just as good as Hodge last year, was possibly better than Cyril yesterday. IMO there is little to no proof that he has performed above and beyond Ablett, Judd, Pendles or Johnson in finals in the past decade.The difference is that he has experienced great team success.

To show that this isn't coming from an anti-Hawks point of view, it is Mitchell that has been your best finals player over the journey and it is he who actually lifts his output (statistically supported- unlike Hodge) during finals games compared to regular season games. If you were to argue about a player from this dynasty being discussed as a legend- it would be Mitchell, who most Hawk fans and non-Hawks fans have regarded as the superior player from a few years into their careers right up til now. Hodge is a better leader no doubt, but Mitchell is the superior footballer.

I've got no issue with both Hodge & Sammy being named legends....In fact....If we go on to win 4 on the trot, then their both monty's to do so.

As for Judd....His first 5 years were superlative. However, since 2007 Hodge has him covered easily....In every facet of the game.

How many flags did Judd lead his club to?....That is always a significantly defining measure....Both Matthews & Hodge have led us to 4 by their deeds & actions from the front.

Judd can have his brownlows, while Hodge raises his game to win the awards that really matter....Podge has left Judd trailing in his dust & his record is second to none in this generation....He is the King!

Would Alistair Clarkson be eligible for Legend status?

4 flags
Revolutionized the game with Clarkson Cluster
Always ahead of the curve
Has taught multiple current coaches

If he wins a flag he is surely a chance right? Or am I wearing rose coloured glasses?

Why do people go on about his "lack of AA selections?"

He wasnt AA this year, but how'd he go? Was also robbed in 2013.

Also Hodge at times was in the top 3 players in the comp, in 2010 he was 2nd in MVP and in 2008 you could have mounted a case too.

What a joke. Like usual Hawks fans spit on Judd's excellent career at Carlton to try and lift Hodge up to a standard he has never been at.

Great player, but to be a legend you'd have to be a top five player for a significant portion of your career. Hodge never really has.

What a joke. Like usual Hawks fans spit on Judd's excellent career at Carlton to try and lift Hodge up to a standard he has never been at.

Great player, but to be a legend you'd have to be a top five player for a significant portion of your career. Hodge never really has.

LOL....When was the last time Judd dominated a final - much less a finals series - in the dominant manner & way in which Hodge has these past 3 seasons?....Not to mention 2008.

His brownlow at Carlton came about due to his being the single decent player in a very mediocre team.

Podge: 4 premierships>>> Judd 1
Podge: 2 NSM>>> Judd 1
Podge: 3 time premiership captain>>>Judd 1

Since 2007: Podge>>>Judd....Easily & no contest.

LOL....When was the last time Judd dominated a final - much less a finals series - in the dominant manner & way in which Hodge has these past 3 seasons?....Not to mention 2008.

His brownlow at Carlton came about due to his being the single decent player in a very mediocre team.

Podge: 4 premierships>>> Judd 1
Podge: 2 NSM>>> Judd 1
Podge: 3 time premiership captain>>>Judd 1

Since 2007: Podge>>>Judd....Easily & no contest.
Lifted us in 2013, and basically won us the match on one leg. Carried us in 2010 and was let down by Henderson and some other shocking moments.

Up there as one of the competition's elite from 2009-2012. Was always up there with Swan and Ablett in this time. Wasn't just some decent player in a very mediocre team. You're clueless.

So basically Judd was one of the best we've seen from 2004-2007 and then had a second period where he was still up there as an elite player. Meanwhile Hodge has never really got near that level of consistency.

But yeah, mention team accolades because somehow they're relevant to an individual.

I hope for your sake you're still drunk from yesterday's win. :rolleyes:

Back