Luke Hodge or Sam Mitchell

If you had to choose between Luke Hodge or Sam Mitchell, who would you take?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

hqdefault.jpg

The numbers i have quoted are a simple calculation lifted from the AFL Record season guide....Naturally, people's opinions will differ markedly as to who was best & who wasn't on any particular day....For example, there are many games where the bests given throughout our finals campaign that i would disagree with the order given..

Be that as it may, The record at least serves as some kind of objective, though admittedly flawed & judicious guide....From my memory of most finals (seen them all from 1974 onwards, though not all live) then it is for the most part, an accurate reflection.

I think you have overlooked the fact of Mitchell's being tagged in giving such a heavily weighted favor to Hodge....Also, we all have our own favorite players with regards the way they play the game & this also serves as a discriminating factor.

Regardless, if we go on stats, then the AFL record says that Mitchell (Apart from GF'S obviously, which was stipulated) has been every bit as influential & consistently good in finals as what Hodge has been...Remembering that Hodge played the 2012 campaign injured & missed the Preliminary final.

The fact they are both in the top 10 in our history, also renders such calculations as accurate for mine, given their 3 Premierships & 250+ games each!

Nothing you say is unreasonable so I see no point trying to dissuade you otherwise. :thumbsu:

As intangible as it is though, I stand by my opinion that Hodge has actually been the AFL's best finals player for his era, and not just Hawthorns.

Either way, finals or home and away, we have them both - which is partly why we're so awesome. It's great to be us.

The reason we have won the last couple of flags is because of the fact we have both of them.

Mitchell disciplined professionalism, coupled with Hodge's ability to pull blokes together has set the tone for the clubs players for a very long time. They make the players around them better. 2001 super draft is one of the best things that happened to the club. I doubt without those 2 guys all this would have happened

Fair Point flinchfree....Perhaps I would have been better off saying in terms of his outside game.....Can't remember the last time I saw Mitch kick a 60 meter drop punt pass either left or right footed down a team-mates throat....Not to mention snaffle a goal from over 40 meters out....Or out mark an opposition opponent in the air who has 10-15kgs & 4 inches advantage!....anyhow I digress

Would never argue about Sammy's elite ball-use & retention skills in & under nor around the ground.....IMO, He is second to none in the competition in terms of these skills either on his left or right hand sides without a doubt. Though Hodge is equally adept in the middle as he is down back or forward of center.

Both are champions, & if pressed, much like you, I'd still take Sammy over Hodge for his overall consistency....But just to re-iterate, Hodge is the better natural athlete, with far more flexibility & with better ground coverage & range in his kicking/marking abilities.

Agree with everything you wrote :thumbsu:.

Regardless, if we go on stats, then the AFL record says that Mitchell (Apart from GF'S obviously, which was stipulated) has been every bit as influential & consistently good in finals as what Hodge has been...Remembering that Hodge played the 2012 campaign injured & missed the Preliminary final.
I will qualify what I am about to say by noting we are essentially discussing the merits of two of our greatest players.

The thing about Hodge is pretty much everyone acknowledged in 2012 that a fit Hodge would have made the difference between a win and a loss. That is what Hodge is - the difference between winning and losing in those big matches.

i will go mitchell i still think he is one of the best players i have seen and will probably end his career very underrated except internally of course

I will qualify what I am about to say by noting we are essentially discussing the merits of two of our greatest players.

The thing about Hodge is pretty much everyone acknowledged in 2012 that a fit Hodge would have made the difference between a win and a loss. That is what Hodge is - the difference between winning and losing in those big matches.

Yep agreed a fit Hodge and we are not losing that 2012 GF

Yep agreed a fit Hodge and we are not losing that 2012 GF

I'd go as far as saying picking Tom Murphy over Hodgey and we wouldn't have lost that GF.
No offense to Hodge - he was unfit and should never have been picked - but had Smurf played, Potato Morton wouldn't have run amok.

Controversial opinion, but I stand by it.

*i understand why hodge was picked - inspirational leader and all, but hindsight is a wonderful thing.

I'd go as far as saying picking Tom Murphy over Hodgey and we wouldn't have lost that GF.
No offense to Hodge - he was unfit and should never have been picked - but had Smurf played, Potato Morton wouldn't have run amok.

Controversial opinion, but I stand by it.

*i understand why hodge was picked - inspirational leader and all, but hindsight is a wonderful thing.
Have a feeling you are probably correct, Tom probably should have been selected, Hodge was unfit, but that's history and just another what if.

Personally I can't split them, both Hodge and Mitchell are awesome.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't think Sammy is all that underrated anymore.. Both Healy , Commetti and even Harley have all heaped praise in the last couple of years plus Sheahen from memory rates him highly as well. But looking at those stats in finals, thank God we aren't measuring by Clearences!!! Whoa, Sammy is a Machine! Anyway I prefer to sit on the fence on this one and yes, I do prefer the sore arse over choosing from these two Champs!

Hodge is a star, I mean my avatar is named after him!

Having said that I believe Mitchell is the best hawthorn player I have ever seen only caught the tail end of 80's and really only remember Dunstall and Platten from actually playing from the 80's. I put this down to his absolute consistency. He has been our best player for the last 4 years except 2014 because of injury. He has also completely changed his game from when he first started playing.

In his first year he earnt the nickname of 'The Extractor' but now he should be called 'The Distributor'.

I think Hodge has been the better finals player but Mitch has also killed some finals as well. No one would have thought he didn't deserve the norm smith if he has of won it last year. He was also best on ground in Hawthorns most important game in the last 25 years, the 2013 Prelim. Mitchell's role in the 2013 GF also went along way towards winning that game.

Having said all this, both Hawthorn legends and we didn't have to chose one or the other. Both have been integral to us winnig 3 premierships. I remember when Crawford stepped down as captain in 2004, we were completely devoid of leadership at the time. Now look at this great club. We have Hodge and Mitchell, but also Burgoyne, Lewis, Rough, McEvoy and Gibbo who lead the whole team together. Not to mention our younger players who have potential.

It's a good time to be a hawk.

Looking at the stats goes to prove to me, yet again, that Mitchell would have to be winning the 'most underrated of all time' race. Imagine the jizz fest if he had been a Carton, Bombres or $ydney player.

Been on a thread on the main board, where I got into a nice little discussion with a couple Blues & Richmund supporters.......I called Sexton 'meh' and overrated, and then get to hear from these wisemen that in fact Sexton was a 'Star' player.

Can you imagine the stratosphere that puts Mitch and Hodge in?
I think you'd be looking back in time 13.8 billion years, to a little thing called the Big Bang!:cool:

Been on a thread on the main board, where I got into a nice little discussion with a couple Blues & Richmund supporters.......I called Sexton 'meh' and overrated, and then get to hear from these wisemen that in fact Sexton was a 'Star' player.

Can you imagine the stratosphere that puts Mitch and Hodge in?
I think you'd be looking back in time 13.8 billion years, to a little thing called the Big Bang!:cool:

Sexton. Nice

Back