Luke Hodge - The Chosen One (Stories about our Champ)

The only time for me, I saw him at a function and asked if he'd come over to my table and say "G'day Dave! How's June and the kids?" (just to impress my friends) He said he was good for a laugh. So he did it.

When he came over he said "G'day dave how are June and the kids?" and I said "Aw piss off Luke, can't you see I'm busy!"

(btw none of this is true, I've never met him, but it'd be funny as hell.)

Dec 17, 2008
Sir Kenneth Luke Stand
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
The Mayblooms
I met Hodgey after the 2010 B&F at the Crown. I was lucky enough to be in the Mahogany room & so was he with all his mates.

I stopped him walking past & we had a fair chat. When I asked him how he went in the voting, he said he polled alright & was happy with his year. Little did I know he'd just won the bloody thing & had been anointed as our new captain. When I found out the next day I had a good laugh. Talk about modesty.

Anyways, his sister walked past & he introduced her to my wife (who was heavily pregnant) & I. Then we all talked shop for about 15 minutes. What a prince!

For the rest of the night he'd say G'day or see if I was winning whenever he was nearby. I even bought him a beer which he graciously accepted.

Although my wife is a Saint she's always loved Hodgey as most neutrals do .... At her request, Hodgey would be her only ever hallpass!!!!

Oh! And by the way .... My son is named Luca & is nearly four. He is also a left footer!

Great memories from a great man.

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2012
Hawks heartland
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Bushrangers Tottenham Hotspur
It's a good story but that poster photo that the article mentions was being taken while Hodgey was posing with the kids on the dias was actually taken on the dias itself before the photo with the kids. Hodgey is actually in it at the back holding the cup up. He got blocked from view when all the other boys got up there. You can see when you watch the replay.

But that takes nothing away from him posing for a photo with those kids when he was well within his rights to just soak in the moment and do whatever he wanted to. Just so happens he's the kind of bloke who's willing to do something special for other people in his own moment of glory.

Wish I could say I've met him and I really do hope I get the chance one day. People say you should never meet your heroes as they never live up to expectation but by all accounts he not only lives up to them but exceeds them.

Glad you mentioned this as I realised he was in team the photo too (but blocked from view) and couldn't believe the media ran with a story that was so obviously wrong :confused:

For the record I've never met him. Carry on...

Last edited:
That kiss to Franklin in the GF was more than just a funny moment, it was message, delivered loud and clear to a person Hodge would still consider a mate, but a mate who let him down.
image.jpg

Turly

Club Legend
Apr 23, 2010
mill park
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I'm not sure I could meet him to be honest. The guy has been my hero and favourite player since the day he was drafted.

My room is basically covered in signed Luke Hodge memorabilia (creepy?) yet I don't think I could grow the balls to actually walk up to him.

Would probably faint :(

I'm not sure I could meet him to be honest. The guy has been my hero and favourite player since the day he was drafted.

My room is basically covered in signed Luke Hodge memorabilia (creepy?) yet I don't think I could grow the balls to actually walk up to him.

Just go straight up to the Great One and kiss him on the cheek.

He'll appreciate it and you will be blessed for life!

MistyAvalon

Premiership Player
Feb 13, 2011
Sydney
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Yankees , Roosters
G'day fellow Hawkers. Firstly may I say it's only a game but damn it feels good to win.

I was hoping to hear the stories and encounters that fellow Hawks fans have had with Luke Hodge. We hear he is a great person both in and out of footy but would love to hear about your personal run-in with our great champion.

At the 2002 B&F my friend managed to snag Hodgey's debut year gurnsey at auction on the night. He later came down to our table to sign it as a young 18yo boy who looked as fresh as you can imagine. My friend stated to him that he was "The Chosen One". Hodgey replied "Nay man, don't say that". My friend replied "Yes you are Luke, just you wait and see".

From such humble beginnings he came as a fresh country boy and look where he is today. I must say that encounter is burned in my memory and although he may have not seen it, I knew that this boy was special from the first game he played for our Hawks.

Love to hear more everyone. :)
I only wish I had an encounter with him

Sep 8, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
There are no other teams

If you get the chance just say hello.

He is one of the most down to earth blokes you will ever meet.

He would gladly chat to you and pose for a pic anytime.

detox

Premiership Player
Nov 26, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I stopped him walking past & we had a fair chat. When I asked him how he went in the voting, he said he polled alright & was happy with his year. Little did I know he'd just won the bloody thing & had been anointed as our new captain. When I found out the next day I had a good laugh. Talk about modesty.

Not Hodge related but a funny/similar story

Had a business transaction once with Andrew Newbold right after he was appointed. Obviously didn't recognize him & had no idea who he was.

So i'm sitting down with him then all of a sudden Sam Mitchell is walking past outside, see's him, and comes in for a quick chat. When Mitchell leaves I ask him if he supports Hawthorn (lol) and he says he does. His daughter is smirking but I havent realized it yet. I am talking for 5 minutes about how I am a "die hard" and we are talking about premierships ect. I then ask what he does for a living and he informs me that he is the new president. Colleagues start laughing.

Jan 17, 2008
Brisvegas
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Not Hodge related but a funny/similar story

Had a business transaction once with Andrew Newbold right after he was appointed. Obviously didn't recognize him & had no idea who he was.

So i'm sitting down with him then all of a sudden Sam Mitchell is walking past outside, see's him, and comes in for a quick chat. When Mitchell leaves I ask him if he supports Hawthorn (lol) and he says he does. His daughter is smirking but I havent realized it yet. I am talking for 5 minutes about how I am a "die hard" and we are talking about premierships ect. I then ask what he does for a living and he informs me that he is the new president. Colleagues start laughing.
That is very funny haha

Back