Luke Hodge v Chris Judd

Who would you pick first?

• Luke Hodge

Votes: 218 37.8%
  • Chris Judd

Votes: 359 62.2%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

What has Judd done that has benefited Carlton so much ? You have away Kennedy one of the best KPF in the game now & also gave away a top 3 pick. He moved you up from from the bottom but all that did was rob you of another early draft pick you would have been better of receiving in 2008.... Carlton has never made it past the semi Finals in Judd's 7 years in the navy Blue.

You are confusing trade with player here when considering the question asked. Which makes no sense unless wanting to muddy the view of a clear perspective on what a player brings to the table.

You don't recognise what Judd did for WCE? I ask how long have you been watching football? You ask what did Judd do for Carlton? I ask again, long have you been watching football? What Judd did with both of these teams, one being the centre piece of the best midfield of the day that went B2B GF's for one flag before moving to a perennial wooden spooner team and lifting them up to a kick of a Preliminary final; is pretty obvious for anyone paying close enough attention. Hodge would not have had anywhere near the impact Judd had with either of these sides. Not a hope in hell.

Playing different positions doesn't automatically make you more valuable though.

It doesn't unless you do it as well Hodge does.

And I'd say Judd has been more for Carlton and WCE than Hodge could ever have been. He completely changed these teams and made them a hell of a lot better for his place in the side. Who knows, he may have added even more to Hawthorn than Hodge has, playing alternative universes and all.
Unlinkely its Hodge's leadership on and off the field and his ability to lead by example by sacrificing for the team. If hodge can do it so can everyone else. So mitchell and burgoyne play half back. Roughy plays ruck. Not because they want to but because it helps the team. Other members of the team do the same Gunston is seen on the half and full back lines. Its the football of today.

It doesn't unless you do it as well Hodge does.

If you say so. For mine, a player like that is not first in line when it comes to picking a team. They're not that valuable.

Unlinkely its Hodge's leadership on and off the field and his ability to lead by example by sacrificing for the team.

Not sure how this relates to what you replied to. Certainly someone playing Hodge's role wouldn't have had the impact Judd did at WCE. And Hodge has never been good enough in the role Judd plays to equal that impact. At Carlton, well I just don't see Hodge, nor his role, having anywhere near the impact of Judd. The amount of games Judd has swung from his influence in the middle has been astounding. I've only ever seen two other players at Carlton capable of that.

If you say so. For mine, a player like that is not first in line when it comes to picking a team. They're not that valuable.
LOL the captain of the club and two time norm smith medalist not valuable.

Not sure how this relates to what you replied to. Certainly someone playing Hodge's role wouldn't have had the impact Judd did at WCE. And Hodge has never been good enough in the role Judd plays to equal that impact. At Carlton, well I just don't see Hodge, nor his role, having anywhere near the impact of Judd. The amount of games Judd has swung from his influence in the middle has been astounding. I've only ever seen two other players at Carlton capable of that.
I would argue that Hodge has influenced the game as many times for Hawthorn in any position. Its why he is the player and captain

LOL the captain of the club and two time norm smith medalist not valuable.

Huh? When did I say he was not valuable? I said he's not valuable enough to be first picked in a team, by virtue of either positioning or the player he is. In fact, he probably wouldn't be among the first dozen players I would pick if choosing a team from his debut year to now, where for me, he would likely wind up in a back pocket; whereas Judd would be in the first half dozen.

I would argue that Hodge has influenced the game as many times for Hawthorn in any position.

Of course you would. IMO that would just be a facetious argument. Just my observation. Judd has consistently exerted rare influence on games.

Huh? When did I say he was not valuable? I said he's not valuable enough to be first picked in a team, by virtue of either positioning or the player he is. In fact, he probably wouldn't be among the first dozen players I would pick if choosing a team from his debut year to now, where for me, he would likely wind up in a back pocket; whereas Judd would be in the first half dozen.

Of course you would. IMO that would just be a facetious argument. Just my observation. Judd has consistently exerted rare influence on games.
Yep agree to disagree

Hard to find too many purely objective comments here - as it's become a 'my player's better than your player' contest, between Blues supporters and Hawks supporters. lol

The OP asks who would you pick FIRST. Getting picked second in this poll doesn't make you a bad player, it just means you weren't picked first.. If you had a team of Judds you'd pick Hodge and vice versa depending on your team needs.

Both are elite and surely both will go down as legends of the game.

Hard to find too many purely objective comments here - as it's become a 'my player's better than your player' contest, between Blues supporters and Hawks supporters. lol

The OP asks who would you pick FIRST. Getting picked second in this poll doesn't make you a bad player, it just means you weren't picked first.. If you had a team of Judds you'd pick Hodge and vice versa depending on your team needs.

Both are elite and surely both will go down as legends of the game.
Spot on.

The point I keep making is that Hodge has plowed on with great form while Judd had dropped off dramatically.

Not to mention that 6 out of 10 of Judd's kicks fail to go anywhere near the intended target and that is why Hodge has caught him and overtaken him.

It depends on what you were looking for. For Hawthorn, Hodge was far and away the best choice, the on-field leader needed to help turn the culture around. West Coast made the right choice getting Judd, he was just what they needed at that time. I can't see either doing as well if the tables had turned. As far as Carlton go, I would suggest they might better off with a Hodge type player at the moment.

Spot on.

The point I keep making is that Hodge has plowed on with great form while Judd had dropped off dramatically.

Not to mention that 6 out of 10 of Judd's kicks fail to go anywhere near the intended target and that is why Hodge has caught him and overtaken him.
You mean Hodge has managed to stay fit and Judd is clearly heading for the end after copping a battering for 13 years?

Two better seasons doesn't make up for the fact that Judd was superior almost every year before that

You mean Hodge has managed to stay fit and Judd is clearly heading for the end after copping a battering for 13 years?

Two better seasons doesn't make up for the fact that Judd was superior almost every year before that
So what about Hodge having OP and when he was not fit while Judd was?

Or is that different?

Are you also suggesting that Hodge has not copped a battering for the same 13 years?

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hodge never carried a midfield for the majority of his career.
Neither did Judd.

Cousins/Kerr ect ect.

Interesting that you made mention of Judd copping a battering and about his injuries while ignoring the battering and injuries that Hodge has had.

Why is this different?

If you cop an injury while the ball is in your teams backline is it different to copping the same injury while the ball is in the middle?

Look this is no slur on Judd because as a WCE he was fantastic but for 2 years Hodge battled very bad case of OP, it is interesting that you cut Judd slack while injured but not cut Hodge the same slack.

Even my Carlton supporting mate agrees that Hodge has overtaking him (you should hear him everytime Judd misses his intended target by 20 metres when he kicks the footy)

Hodge has overtaken Judd and is bolting away.

Last edited:
Neither did Judd.

Cousins/Kerr ect ect.

Interesting that you made mention of Judd copping a battering and about his injuries while ignoring the battering and injuries that Hodge has had.

Why have you ignored this?
Because it's irrelevant.

The only people who think this is a genuine debate are Hawthorn fans.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Posted for accuracy.

Oh look he is not a Hawk fan. :eek:

Yet he has summed it up 100% spot on.

Quote one neutral coz he agrees with you. Ignore the dozens who don't. Pretend the neutral from Singapore is "100% spot on" but others are wrong.

LOL :$

Sorry pal, but the poll has spoken. Even when bull's are running for Hodge and bears out for Judd, old Juddy still wins the poll. That's how unequivocal it is.

The only thing in Hodges corner is the pseudo scientific premiership tally. Idiotic. You can't attribute a premiership to a single person. That's silly. As I say that, yes he has two NS awards to Judds one.

That doesn't make up for all the other accolades Judd cleans up in. It also doesn't consider how amazing Judds been as a finals player. Just as good as Hodge, go back through some of his finals performances for Carlton and back to his NS and sorry but you can't give that to Hodge.

Other one is leadership. Once again those that say Hodge going with a weak, unquantifiable argument. Judd has been an amazing leader, he picked a broken club off the bottom of the ladder and dragged them along. Yes they had some no.1 picks but they also had a famously bad recruiting/drafting record.

If you look at what can be attributed to the players themselves you'll find the answer.

Judd. Stunned the thread rolls on

^^^^^^^^^^^^

Every time you post in this thread it confirms how much Hodge has gone past Judd.

Bob and Fred climb Mt Everest, an expedition that takes let's say 60 days in total. By day 20 Bob is sitting atop the summit eating a cut lunch, while Fred vacillates between Camp 2 & 3, sometimes, sometimes getting up to Camp 4, but never making the summit. By day 50, Bob begins his descent, crossing paths with the Fred somewhere between camp 3 and 4 ... Fred turns to his Sherpa and says "finally, I've gone passed the bastard".

:$

The only thing in Hodges corner is the pseudo scientific premiership tally. Idiotic. You can't attribute a premiership to a single person. That's silly. As I say that, yes he has two NS awards to Judds one.

That doesn't make up for all the other accolades Judd cleans up in. It also doesn't consider how amazing Judds been as a finals player. Just as good as Hodge, go back through some of his finals performances for Carlton and back to his NS and sorry but you can't give that to Hodge.

Other one is leadership. Once again those that say Hodge going with a weak, unquantifiable argument. Judd has been an amazing leader, he picked a broken club off the bottom of the ladder and dragged them along. Yes they had some no.1 picks but they also had a famously bad recruiting/drafting record.

If you look at what can be attributed to the players themselves you'll find the answer.

Judd. Stunned the thread rolls on

A pretty reasonable breakdown really.

Back