Luke Hodge v Chris Judd

Who would you pick first?

• Luke Hodge

Votes: 218 37.8%
  • Chris Judd

Votes: 359 62.2%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

How is Hodge even close in this poll? I mean really, he's a good big game performer, but so is Judd. One was in the conversation as being the best in the AFL for about 5 years, the other has probably never been in the top 10-20 players in the game. As players, don't understand how you wouldn't choose Judd (and I dislike Judd).

Hodge is a dual premiership captain, dual Norm Smith medalist and a greater leader of men on his worst day than Judd is on his best.

Purely as a player Judd at his best was the best there was at the time but for you to say that Hodge has never been in the top 10-20 players in the AFL is mindblowingly ridiculous.

I have Judd just ahead, but there is not much in it at all.....and Hodge is closing in on him quickly.

So if Hodge is elite then what do you call Ablett? Is elite your highest ranking or do you have something higher? This is why this discussion will go nowhere. We have different definitions of elite.

OK, so what does that make Pendlebury?
He's elite, but not as good as Ablett. Is he "Elite B-?"

If Jordan Lewis is A grade, does that mean Mitch Duncan can't be A grade because Lewis is slighty better?

You are pretty terrible to debate footy with.

Hodge is a dual premiership captain, dual Norm Smith medalist and a greater leader of men on his worst day than Judd is on his best.

Purely as a player Judd at his best was the best there was at the time but for you to say that Hodge has never been in the top 10-20 players in the AFL is mindblowingly ridiculous.

I have Judd just ahead, but there is not much in it at all.....and Hodge is closing in on him quickly.
Completely irrelevant to his abilities as a player.

Ablett is on a different plateau to all current players.

Saying Don Bradman was elite doesn't mean Allan Border, Steve Waugh and Ricky Ponting weren't though.
Ab
OK, so what does that make Pendlebury?
He's elite, but not as good as Ablett. Is he "Elite B-?"

If Jordan Lewis is A grade, does that mean Mitch Duncan can't be A grade because Lewis is slighty better?

You are pretty terrible to debate footy with.

Well I like you too.

It really comes down to ratings and I think they get exponentially smaller the higher you go.

So lets say you start at below average. (taking all listed and rookied players into account)

You then have

Below average, average, good, great, elite (and you could probably say there is more but lets give that then.

If that is the case I probably rate them like this.

2% - Elite
8% - Great
20% - Good
30% - Average
40% - Below Average.

That is how I break it down. I have Hodge in the 'great' category in my mind as I see him in the top 10% of players.

Yes it has problems and perhaps you think elite is top 10% but to me Elite means truly special, as in top 50 all time good. I am sprry but I don't see Hodge there. Hall of fame, yes.

Ab

Well I like you too.

It really comes down to ratings and I think they get exponentially smaller the higher you go.

So lets say you start at below average. (taking all listed and rookied players into account)

You then have

Below average, average, good, great, elite (and you could probably say there is more but lets give that then.

If that is the case I probably rate them like this.

2% - Elite
8% - Great
20% - Good
30% - Average
40% - Below Average.

That is how I break it down. I have Hodge in the 'great' category in my mind as I see him in the top 10% of players.

Yes it has problems and perhaps you think elite is top 10% but to me Elite means truly special, as in top 50 all time good. I am sprry but I don't see Hodge there. Hall of fame, yes.
2%=~10-15 players in the AFL at a given time

So basically Hawthorn fans and Richmond Judd haters are arguing that Judd is dirty or can't lead a team and hence they'd take Hodge.

Oh dear. :straining:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Brownlow's are more relevant to this discussion than premierships and Norm Smiths.
Lol ok.

Here is my honest opinion.

Judd is the better midfielder.

Hodge is the better all round player. Can dominate in defence the midfield and can also go forward and kick a bag. His versatility makes him a more valuable player.

Not to mention his leadership. Big game player that lifts the whole team with his efforts.

Lol ok.

Here is my honest opinion.

Judd is the better midfielder.

Hodge is the better all round player. Can dominate in defence the midfield and can also go forward and kick a bag. His versatility makes him a more valuable player.

Not to mention his leadership. Big game player that lifts the whole team with his efforts.
I'll have some of what you're having if playing as a loose man in defence is relevant at all to this debate. As for the forward thing, bizarre. Judd has kicked 3 or more 17 times in his career, compared to Hodge who has done so 10 times.

And Judd has barely spent permanent time up forward since his early Eagles days.

I'm sorry Hawthorn fans. I love Luke Hodge, but Judd is one of the best players of the last 15 years. He is up there with Ablett and Goodes. Hodge wouldn't even be in the top 10, would be behind Pav, Riewoldt, Brown, Black, Ablett, Judd, Goodes, Pendles, Franklin, Buckley, Riciutto etc. Hodge will be a hall of Famer, but Judd will be a legend in the Hall of Fame, he is up there with the best players I have ever seen.

Hodge overtook Judd in 2010, anyone that knows anything about footy realises this.

Yes Hodge was better in 2010, but it wasn't by a big margin and Judd still took home the Brownlow. Come 2011 Judd was once again comfortably the better player.

Over careers, Hodge has had three seasons, 2010, 2013 and 2014, where he was the better player with only two of those being by any decent margin.

Judd wins hands down.

Judd was a beauty to watch at the WCEs. Some margin better than some HBFer that can have a run in the midfield every now and then.
Think the second part of this is a bit of an unneccessary dig but the sentiment is pretty spot on.

Judd's best was not just one but several levels above Hodge. People must be forgetting how good he was at his peak (WCE days). Hodge is versatile, a better leader of men but as a pure star, Judd and I don't even need to think twice about it.

Think the second part of this is a bit of an unneccessary dig but the sentiment is pretty spot on.

Judd's best was not just one but several levels above Hodge. People must be forgetting how good he was at his peak (WCE days). Hodge is versatile, a better leader of men but as a pure star, Judd and I don't even need to think twice about it.
Sure before 2010 that was the case.

Hodge went past judd in 2010.

Back