Luke Hodge - where is he at?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
One point in the game that worried me about Luke was when he was running with the flight of the ball at Guthrie who was set to take a chest mark. Hodge looked at the ball and decided not to go for the spoil.

Now, he may have thought he would infringe if he continued, or he may have been short on petrol tickets, I don't know. However, the Hodge I know (and love) would have attacked that ball ferociously and made at least earn it. A goal resulted.

This exact incident was what prompted me to start the thread.

Lost a yard and even more importantly his agility is alarmingly poor atm. I suspect he's carrying something still.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Had a poor game, no doubt about it, had plenty of friends too. Where is he at?? We'll he is close to 30 and plenty of injuries along the way, so he's best is behind him, but I'm tipping him to bounce back as he always does. Ball and Judd are pretty much cooked as well from that draft, 2015 will most likely be his last season.

I know our game plan involves short, precise kicking coming out of defence, but I think we need to change it up a bit against Geelong. Too many times yesterday did Birchall, Hodge and Suckling choose poor 50/50 options, when a 50m kick down the line to a contest would be a much better option.

Had a poor game, no doubt about it, had plenty of friends too. Where is he at?? We'll he is close to 30 and plenty of injuries along the way, so he's best is behind him, but I'm tipping him to bounce back as he always does. Ball and Judd are pretty much cooked as well from that draft, 2015 will most likely be his last season.

I know our game plan involves short, precise kicking coming out of defence, but I think we need to change it up a bit against Geelong. Too many times yesterday did Birchall, Hodge and Suckling choose poor 50/50 options, when a 50m kick down the line to a contest would be a much better option.

I thought the exact opposite.

Too many times did we boot the ball indiscriminately forward to contests in which we were outnumbered and every time it came back with interest.

I'd love the stats on how often we kick long to Puopolo....

You'd be brave to write him off. Didn't have a great game yesterday, can't argue with that but he's a club champion and we'd be worse off without him. Should be banned from kicking across the face of our defensive goal though. :eek:

Too many times did we boot the ball indiscriminately forward to contests in which we were outnumbered and every time it came back with interest.

No doubt Poppy was the long option too many times, ideally Should be Roughhead, Hale or McEvoy, with Poppy or Cyril at there feet. I was more meaning when we choose to switch play when players weren't really open, resulted in turnovers too many times.

This is what worried me. I mean FFS, why the hell would you kick it to the smallest bloke on the ground?? Geel were just laughing at us.

Hodge is a good kick not a great kick but he has great vision and reads the play really well most of the time.

Didn't think yesterday was his even close to his worst game against Geelong but would love to see him playing like he did in the GF against Geelong next time we come up against em

Hodge is a good kick not a great kick but he has great vision and reads the play really well most of the time.

Didn't think yesterday was his even close to his worst game against Geelong but would love to see him playing like he did in the GF against Geelong next time we come up against em

Agree! But I am so sick of the words "Next time" against Geel. If we dont learn in 13 trys, then what makes you think "next time' will be any different?

I don't think next time will be different, our games against Geelong over the last 6 years have followed a script and most of the time its who is in front at the time that the siren goes that wins (or after the siren)

I know they feel pressure in these games the only ever seem to kick straight right at the end if at all.

What I am hoping is that Hodge amongst others will find a way to have a bigger impact, whether that be through good coaching or luck or something else.

I thought that was Hodge's best game against Geelong for a while and I'm hoping that means he is going to be better again

I can certainly forgive him a bad game here and there, but yesterday it would've made a massive difference had he been able to play his general off half-back role more effectively. Was he being decoyed outside 50 by one of the Cats small forwards? It's a bit hard to tell watching on TV but that'd be my suspicion.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I can certainly forgive him a bad game here and there, but yesterday it would've made a massive difference had he been able to play his general off half-back role more effectively. Was he being decoyed outside 50 by one of the Cats small forwards? It's a bit hard to tell watching on TV but that'd be my suspicion.
He always is see what they do is whoever is opponent is they target that person inside 50 early in the game and it was mcintosh so that Hodge then needs to be more accountable and then that person just becomes the decoy most of the time for inside 50s. They have used this not only on Hodge but on Gibson. They also have their quickest players in the front half of the ground. They basically cover the ground faster than our backs and cover half of the ground the other half of the ground we are outnumbered. Its a new strategy being employed they have beaten us in different ways but the one constant has been pressure on our half back line (contrary to what everyone says the reason why we win most games our bloody backline)

Seems as if our great leader can't be knocked on here.

Probably because those that do are made to look very foolish by the great man. As mentioned by another, his efforts actually got us in the lead in the last, but he can't do it all himself.

grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.one of the greatest to ever play for our club, to want to play for our club.and he cops this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Remember all he has given us and the injuries he has sustained for the club he loves. I was at the game and just to see him there doing the best he could given his age, injuries and a fitter more capable opposition was enough for me

If I say any more I will be in trouble................ but just remember this is a loyal hawk

grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.one of the greatest to ever play for our club, to want to play for our club.and he cops this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Remember all he has given us and the injuries he has sustained for the club he loves. I was at the game and just to see him there doing the best he could given his age, injuries and a fitter more capable opposition was enough for me

If I say any more I will be in trouble................ but just remember this is a loyal hawk

Yes but you are a bit biased aren't you MA ;)

Agree re Hodgey though, can't believe people are even saying things like 'where is he at?'. He's the great captain of our great club, that's where he's at! He's been better than current form but still definitely playing well enough to keep his place in the side (IMO).

Last edited:
Yep. The game was uncharacteristic for him, but it is a one off, and he has been good so far this year. Great against Freo and against Essendon until he went off. Absolutely nothing to worry about. He is capable of the odd clanger sure, but his kicking is still better than most in the afl.

Knee-jerk of the century

Agreed. This thread is a disgrace.

The bloody captain of our club, who held the cup up less than 7 months ago, won a normie, couple of club bandF's, all australians (including AA Captain), and coming off a pretty stellar season last year, has a somewhat quiet day, and this rubbish gets served up.

PATHETIC.

Yes but you are a bit biased aren't you MA ;)

Agree re Hodgey though, can't believe people are even saying things like 'where is he at?'. He's the great captain of our great club, that's where he's at! He's been better than current form but still definitely playing well enough to keep his place in the side (IMO).

not a bit...completely............. I just love looking at him....and he is also a good loyal player

More often than not he was made to be accountable by the matchups.

This exact incident was what prompted me to start the thread.
He wasn't worried about his safety but he did try to avoid giving away a free kick whilst trying to punch the ball away.
Gutsy effort I thought!

He has obviously had more impact in other games but to say he is gone or not putting in is a little off the mark I think.

As some on here have alluded to, he would be an asset roaming the forward arc and taking stints in the middle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back