Retired Luke McGuane (2013-2015)

Remove this Banner Ad

Richmond utility Ricky Petterd and Brisbane Lions forward Luke McGuane retire

Former Tiger and now Brisbane Lions tall Luke McGuane also retired on Thursday after suffering a knee injury at training on Wednesday.

"I wanted to play on next year until this injury at training yesterday snuffed out any thought of that," McGuane told the Lions website.

"My body has given up on me and as much as I'd love to continue to play on, it's clear my body won't deal with it."

McGuane, 28, played 112 games across 11 seasons at the elite level, including four in 2015.

2015 Player Review: Part One

Luke McGuane called an end to his career after re-injuring his knee at training prior to the Lions’ Round 23 clash with the Western Bulldogs. McGuane had kicked 7 goals in four games and had indicated his desire to play on next season before the training mishap. The 28-year-old forward played some of the best football of his career at the Brisbane Lions this season after fighting back from a series of left-knee injuries acquired since joining the Club at the start of 2014. His best match came in Round 19 where he ended a frustrating 454-day spell on the sidelines by kicking three goals and collecting 12 possessions against the Suns. McGuane kicked two goals and had 14 possessions in the Hawks trouncing of the Lions in Tasmania.

Luke McGuane reflects on his AFL career

“I can’t thank Lepp enough,” McGuane said.

“I was actually dirty on the Lions for not picking me up as a Gold Coast kid.

“Eventually I wanted to come home and I got my opportunity to come home and got my last two years here.”

“So thanks to Leppa for getting me up to Brisbane, back close to my family where I could enjoy the end of my career.”

“I really want to thank my family for supporting me through my whole career.”

“I wasn’t the greatest player but I was always competitive and overly aggressive and that’s pretty much why I got a game.

“Leppa obviously saw that so gave me the opportunity to come up here.”

McGuane also thanked the fans for their support despite his absence from the field during much of the season.

“To the fans up here, you were great to me, especially when I wasn’t offering a whole heap in rehab."

“And thanks to all the guys in the physio rooms who put up with my negative attitude at times when I was getting injured, I really appreciate it.”

Remove this Banner Ad

Back