TheWhiteRhino

Premiership Player
Apr 24, 2002
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney
I don't care what anyone says, this kid deserves his own thread on the main board... if nothing else than to gather all those votes for the unluckiest AA candidate in recent times.

I can't believe he's only 21 years old.

Built for finals, hard, full of class and one of the top 5 mids above his head.

An absolute jet... and an absolute bargain.

Amazing overhead marking ability. He has just about surpassed Hanneberry in terms of value to the team at the very least equaled.

Amazing overhead marking ability. He has just about surpassed Hanneberry in terms of value to the team at the very least equaled.

IMO your best midfielder aside from Kennedy.

Surpassed Hannebury quite early on this year I would have thought?

Absolute gun but as for AA, who do you drop?

Ballantyne for starters. See the main AA thread for plenty of other suggestions.

Parker is the complete player for us now. Hard nosed inside player, good on the outside, great two way runner, great tackler and strong hands overhead. Kicks goals as well. Recruiting gem.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No surprise, the kid has dominated any previous level of football he has played in.
Some players are just winners - and Parker is one of those players.

Said it in another thread a few weeks back but he has been my "new favourite player from another team to watch" for much of this season.
Will win a Brownlow somewhere along the line.

I don't care what anyone says, this kid deserves his own thread on the main board... if nothing else than to gather all those votes for the unluckiest AA candidate in recent times.
If Sydney win the Grand Final next weekend and Luke Parker pips Kennedy and Franklin for the Bob Skilton Medal, then he'll draw level with Josh Gibson as the unluckiest AA candidate of recent times. Because that's what happened to Gibson last year.

Also Sam Mitchell in 2012 - the Hawks finished on top of the ladder with a percentage of 154%, and won 15 of their last 17 games by an average margin of 65 points - they were clearly the most dominant team for the bulk of the home and away season. Mitchell was clearly their best player and won his 4th B&F and was runner up in the Brownlow with 26 votes - but the geniuses on the AA selection panel thought Collingwood had 3 better midfielders than Mitchell - Pendlebury and Swan were both named on the bench, but struggled with injuries during the middle of the year. Very generous of the selectors to name both of them.

Actually, Gibson was also robbed of AA in 2011 when the Hawks won 18 games and Gibbo was a close 2nd in the B&F (behind Sam Mitchell, who polled 30 votes in the Brownlow.) So Luke Parker would need to be robbed twice by the AA selectors before he joins Joshy-woshy as the unluckiest AA candidate of recent times.

Was Luke Parker tagged once in 2014? Honest question. Not trying to be smart. Cos it seemed to me like opposition coaches let him run wild in many games. That's the beauty of the Swans midfield -who do you tag - they're all very good, damaging mids.

I can't believe he's only 21 years old.

Built for finals, hard, full of class and one of the top 5 mids above his head.
Yep. The Sydney youngsters seem to develop quicker than other players from the same draft class.
They all look like players who have been in the system for 5-6 years

These guys must do a hell of a good job...

Head Conditioning Coach: Rob Spurrs
Strength Coach: Damien Austin
Conditioning Coach: Matt Pine
Physical Preparation Coordinator: James Green
Conditioning Assistant: Michael Rennie
Conditioning Assistant: Stephen Kelly

I'd be interested to know how much Sydney pays these guys. With clubs now getting taxed on their total football spending and the so-called "rich" clubs such as Collingwood and Hawthorn going through a period where they're being forced into making cutbacks, it seems extraordinary to me that Sydney have six guys conditioning their players.

I guess the results speak for themselves. Money well spent.

An absolute jet... and an absolute bargain.
No argument on this score. The kid is a gun.

What was everybody thinking when they let him slide to pick 40?
The Hawks chose Parker's Dandenong Stingrays teammate Mitch Hallahan with pick no.38 :(

Different kind of player. Hanneberry's outside run is extremely valuable and he played a scintillating six weeks or so of footy just before he got injured and missed a month and a half. Remember he made the AA team last year himself.

The main strength of Sydney's midfield, IMO, is not so much the individual players but the way they are all a little different and really complement each other.

Different kind of player. Hanneberry's outside run is extremely valuable and he played a scintillating six weeks or so of footy just before he got injured and missed a month and a half. Remember he made the AA team last year himself.

The main strength of Sydney's midfield, IMO, is not so much the individual players but the way they are all a little different and really complement each other.

Not trying to undersell Hanners' value, some of his handballs tonight were champagne touches. I just feel that Parker at this point in time would be a bigger out if he were to miss next week hypothetically.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back