Remove this Banner Ad

Jan 9, 2009
Queensland
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Young Tassie talent on way

Nick Smart
July 29th, 2009
WITH a name like Maverick Weller, you can bet this young Tasmanian talent will fast become a cult hero at the Gold Coast Football Club.
Weller, along with fellow Tasmanian talent Luke Russell, are the latest signings of the GCFC.
They are the first two of 12 of the best 17-year-olds from around Australia that the GCFC can recruit to the club for 2010 and beyond.
Both will move to the Coast in November to enter the GCFC's training program under coach Guy McKenna.
Weller, a highly rated and hard-at-it midfielder, will immediately attract attention because of his unique name.
He confirmed yesterday his parents were fans of the hit 1986 film Top Gun, in which Tom Cruise stars as fighter pilot Lt Pete 'Maverick' Mitchell.
"I don't have black hair now but when I was born I had a real big mop of black hair," he said.
"I don't know if it had anything to do with it but I was born around the time the movie came out and they loved it.
"My older brother's name is Tyson after Mike Tyson and my younger brother Lachlan is named after some wild west character.
"They are sort of unusual names but I am happy with mine -- it is unique and easy to tell apart from your teammates."
It is obvious from speaking to him that Weller possesses maturity beyond his years.
It is no surprise he was voted captain of this year's AFL-AIS under-18 squad without playing a game because of a groin injury.
"It is very exciting to join the Coast -- I am very keen to get up there and settle in," he said.
"I am in the same class with Luke at school and we are both nervous but very excited.
"I am also looking forward to the weather because I have had the flu for about a week.
"I am looking forward to it and I know Luke is a bit of a light tan sort of a bloke.
"He feels the cold as well, so he is keen."
Russell, a ball magnet who adds genuine leg speed, is more than happy to be a part of the AFL's newest club.
"There has been a lot of talk going on but I am just glad I have been picked to be a part of the team," he said.
"(GCFC assistant coach) Marcus (Ashcroft) has been really good to me and `Bluey' (McKenna) is a really great guy.

LukeRussel_Tas_246asa.jpg

Out_of_Africa_246d.jpg

Dockers strike AFL gold

BY MARTIN AGATYN
29/07/2009 10:06:00 AM
TWO young Burnie footballers who have been mates and played together since primary school are about to embark on an AFL dream together.
Burnie Dockers players Luke Russell and Maverick Weller, both 17, have been signed for two years by the AFL's newest club, Gold Coast.

It is the first time for many years two players from the same Tasmanian club have been recruited by an AFL club.

Although the pair are too young for the AFL national draft, Gold Coast has been given dispensation to recruit 12 of Australia's best 17-year-olds, with Maverick and Luke the only Tasmanians.

Gold Coast will field a team in either the VFL or AFL Queensland competition next year, with a full entry into the AFL in 2011.

Gold Coast coach Guy McKenna said both Maverick and Luke, who were members of the Australian Institute of Sport AFL Academy and played with the Tassie Mariners under 18 state team this year, were outstanding and talented young men who were very focused on their football goals.

"Maverick will supply some real mid- field grunt - he's strong over the ball and hard at it," McKenna said.

"Luke supplies an ability to win the ball and genuine leg speed.

"We're delighted they have agreed to join us and be part of our journey into the AFL in 2011 - they will be given every opportunity to develop into first class players."

The two teenagers were excited about their joint futures yesterday.

"We're as thrilled for each other as we are for ourselves - this is really what we both wanted," Maverick said.

Despite injuring his hip and groin this year, Maverick's performances at under 16 level last year had already come to the attention of Gold Coast scouts.

He won the Alan McLean Medal for best and fairest at the national under 16 championship last year and also played for Tasmania at under 18 level as a 16-year-old.
"I'm hoping my injury will be okay for me to play in the State League finals with Burnie - other than getting up to the Gold Coast, there's nothing I want more," Maverick said.

Any more info on Russell? Is he likely to play many games next year? How did he go at VFL level in 2010?

08_LukeRussell.jpg

DETAILS
JUMPER # 7
DOB 24/01/1992
HEIGHT 186cm
WEIGHT 78kg
FORMER CLUB Burnie Dockers, TAS

http://www.goldcoastfc.com.au/the-team/player-profiles/luke-russell/

Like team-mate Maverick Weller, half forward-cum-midfielder Luke Russell hails from Burnie.

A robust, combative, courageous and versatile footballer who leads by example, Russell was a standout junior basketball player before focusing his sporting attention on AFL.

He was just 16 years old when he first joined the Burnie Dockers’ senior squad. He later captained Tasmania in the 2009 NAB AFL Under-18 Championships.

Luke seems to be doing really well in the reserves. He got a mention in the reserves report in the game against NT Thunder:

"Midfielders Luke Russell, Josh Toy and Matt Shaw were in everything while Nathan Ablett – in his first appearance of the season – was busy in the forward 50m arc"

"Hutchins, Russell, Toy and Hayden Jolly were the Suns’ best"

Hopefully he can keep it up and get a game in the firsts soon.

http://www.neafl.com.au/index.php?id=16&tx_ttnews[year]=2011&tx_ttnews[month]=04&tx_ttnews[tt_news]=46&cHash=877c8135b478bd1fbfbc677a11c88832

I thought Luke showed a bit in his first outing. Only ended up with 11 touches, but had two shots at goal from marks inside 50, failed to convert either, but could put that down to nerves. Took some good marks and was moved into the midfield for small portions of the game, but played primarily on the half forward flank. He should get another game next week, I see no reason to drop him based on this performance.

Russell the super sub! Kicked the match winning goal, one of two goals he snapped after being brought on late in the third quarter. He is definitely showing good signs, hopefully he should be selected as an onfield player next week based on this performance.

Agreed. He is super quick and his disposal appears much better than when I've seen him previously. Handy to lock the ball in up forward and obviously knows where the goals are.

Very impressed by Luke - any idea why he's started as a sub instead of on the field?

Not sure, but I assume it is because he is relatively versatile, being a good forward and a handy midfielder. I doubt we will see him being the sub too often though.

This is going to sound harsh, but where is the future for Spooks at the moment? He has some good moments sometimes in games, but seems to disappear quite often.

With the arrival of Aaron Hall, it possibly pushes his place out of the forward line. When Matera is fit and Stanley available, where does he go? In the midfield? He's probably down the list as a midfielder too.

Just not sure on what his role will be in the future.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think he's given himself every chance for 2012 by knuckling down & getting super-fit over the pre-season. He should be part of the rotations through the forward line & midfield. If he doesn't make it, at least he can say he gave it a real shot. :thumbsu:

I was impressed with what I saw of his game against Adelaide. He took the 8 marks and looked pretty solid. Should get another crack next weekend based on his performance yesterday.

I thought he had another decent game on the weekend. He is at least one of the Suns to show some decent development from the preseason.

Russell re-signs with Gold Coast Suns.

RUSSELL-SIGNS-TILL-2014.jpg

HE'S best known for kicking the winning goal in the Suns' first AFL victory.

But it's Luke Russell's developing maturity and professionalism, as much as his skill, that has helped earn a new deal with the Suns.

The Bulletin can reveal the Tasmanian product will extend his stay on the Coast for at least another two years after re-signing until the end of the 2014 season.

And after a star turn in the pre-season, Russell has his sights set on becoming a key member of the Suns' forward line and a potent long-term weapon for the club.

Russell said he and his teammates were enjoying the challenge of becoming elite players and building a successful culture at the Suns.

"We are in such a unique situation, no other club has ever done what we are doing," Russell said.

"Right now it's challenging but it's still exciting and I can't wait to get to the other side and share in some success.

"We know there is plenty still to do between now and then.

"I think we are building something pretty special and I wanted to be part of it."

Suns football manager Marcus Ashcroft said Russell was an exciting prospect for the club.

"We see Luke forming an integral part of our forward line and is very much a part of our long-term planning and future," Ashcroft said of the former Tasmania under-18 captain.

A half-forward who boasts good speed and a good leap and has the ability to drop back into the midfield, Russell finished his first AFL season with five goals from 11 games, including the left-foot snap that sealed the club's first win against Port Adelaide.

"It's great to sign with the club for the next few seasons," he said.

"I'm really enjoying my time on the Gold Coast and believe together we will enjoy success in the future."

He looked very assured against Essendon. Didn't get a lot of touches, but he invariably hit targets with his disposal.

Russell seems a little abnormal for a Tasmanian product. Normally Tassie boys have a lot of X factor, whether it be marking ability or hardness at the ball, but poor disposal. Mitch Robinson and Jeremy Howe are archetypical Tassie players in that regard. Although I think Howe will improve. We produce fewer Grant Birchall types, but from what I have seen of Russell so far, he seems to have really neat disposal and good vision. He was one of the few Suns to find targets consistently. He just needs to work on getting more of the ball and he will be very handy indeed.

Thought he played his best game on the weekend - round 5 against Fremantle. 21 touches, 8 marks, 6 tackles and a goal. Like many of the Sun's second year players, he is starting to look more and more like he belongs out there.

What gets me about Spook is just his phenomenal work rate. He and Shaw just keep running from place to place, and not only that, have pace to burn. What's more is that right now he's starting to actually find the footy more, so his work isn't being unrewarded all the time.

Love him streaming everywhere off HF. Really starting to settle I think. The fitness and the extra year we had are really starting to show for players

Russell was again very good against Collingwood in Round 10. Named in GC's best for his 16 touches at 81% DE, 8 marks, two tackles, and a goal. Continues to build on a solid second year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back