LuxBet have stolen my content

Remove this Banner Ad

Truly

Debutant
Feb 7, 2007
Gippsland
AFL Club
Hawthorn
LuxBet's Brownlow Medal page here: https://www.luxbet.com/betting/afl/brownlow-medal/
My Brownlow Medal page: http://www.ozepunting.com/sports/afl/brownlow-medal/

Read their Brownlow Medal - Tips and see if they don't have a striking resemblance to mine, which date back to 2011 according to Wayback Archive, theirs was created in 2014.

http://web.archive.org/web/20110326230909/http://www.ozepunting.com/sports/afl/brownlow-medal/
http://web.archive.org/web/20140131180644/https://www.luxbet.com/betting/afl/brownlow-medal/
http://web.archive.org/web/20140131180644/https://www.luxbet.com/betting/afl/brownlow-medal/
What do you think? Coincidence, or blatant theft and copyright infringement?

bennyboy

Rookie
Sep 22, 2005
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
west coast
Definitely stole your content and like the previous poster said didn't even bother to change the order.

You can probably sue for this kind of stuff but if you're a customer of theirs you should demand a big free bet

Truly

Debutant
Feb 7, 2007
Gippsland
AFL Club
Hawthorn
But there's no shady tradies doing pensioners in here, just a major bookmaker taking a poor young part-time writer's words to use for their own profits, instead of hiring someone to write something equally as informative themselves... Wait, now I see. You think I must be one of those immigrants, well I'm not!

Joking aside, the media may be an option but I will be speaking with them (as in LuxBet - after discussing my legal options) directly first.

ash_1050

Premiership Player
Nov 21, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Melbourne Victory and Arsenal
If you are writing an email make sure to mention the respective dates both articles were posted. Seek to resolve the issue before it blows up to involve lawyers, court etc. It's a breach of copyright but it's not worth months of protracted negotiations or planning. Good luck.

Willzzz

Club Legend
Apr 1, 2010
AFL Club
Adelaide
I know Luxbet aren't the most professional outfit going around (Read: they are as shaddy as it gets), but this is shockingly poor.

I hope you write a strongly worded letter/e-mail to them. Let us know what they come back with.

Truly

Debutant
Feb 7, 2007
Gippsland
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I know Luxbet aren't the most professional outfit going around (Read: they are as shaddy as it gets), but this is shockingly poor.

I hope you write a strongly worded letter/e-mail to them. Let us know what they come back with.

Of course, I came here first because, well, I was honestly shocked when I started reading my own words on a website owned by TABcorp. TAB. The same TAB that I used to bet with at the local pub has taken my words and put them on their own commercial website for commercial gain.

At first I was in shock, I still am a little, it is kind of hard to believe that a company with a market cap over 2 billion dollars has taken my copyrighted material and used it on a website which sole purpose is to create profit for their company. It has taken a while to really sink in because, well, why would they do that with so many resources at their disposal, I know I'm an excellent writer and I do have several companies which pay me very well for my services, but TABCorp doing something like this to me?

I will be following this up through the correct channels. Therefore I can't guarantee anything, but if it's possible and not part of any agreement, I will let you know of the outcome. I will say that if they think I'll just disappear if they ignore me for long enough, or I'll accept peanuts for this, they are wrong.

checkraiseulite

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 23, 2010
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Of course, I came here first because, well, I was honestly shocked when I started reading my own words on a website owned by TABcorp. TAB. The same TAB that I used to bet with at the local pub has taken my words and put them on their own commercial website for commercial gain.

At first I was in shock, I still am a little, it is kind of hard to believe that a company with a market cap over 2 billion dollars has taken my copyrighted material and used it on a website which sole purpose is to create profit for their company. It has taken a while to really sink in because, well, why would they do that with so many resources at their disposal, I know I'm an excellent writer and I do have several companies which pay me very well for my services, but TABCorp doing something like this to me?

I will be following this up through the correct channels. Therefore I can't guarantee anything, but if it's possible and not part of any agreement, I will let you know of the outcome. I will say that if they think I'll just disappear if they ignore me for long enough, or I'll accept peanuts for this, they are wrong.

what have u lost by them using it? that's the question you need to ask yourself.

better off posting this on their facebook page and taking a $50 free bet if you can get it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Truly

Debutant
Feb 7, 2007
Gippsland
AFL Club
Hawthorn
That's a hard question to answer and one of your main problems if you take this further.

Exactly. Just because something is hard, doesn't mean it shouldn't be attempted.

I know that I'm in the right, any reasonable person who looks at the facts knows that I'm in the right and I'm not a legal expert, but if any company, especially a large company can get away with this kind of infringement with impunity, then why do laws to prevent this exact scenario from happening exist at all?

checkraiseulite

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 23, 2010
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Exactly. Just because something is hard, doesn't mean it shouldn't be attempted.

I know that I'm in the right, any reasonable person who looks at the facts knows that I'm in the right and I'm not a legal expert, but if any company, especially a large company can get away with this kind of infringement with impunity, then why do laws to prevent this exact scenario from happening exist at all?

you'll win the case, but how much time and effort will it cost you? and what will you get out of it?

principles can get expensive.

May 6, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
Geelong
you'll win the case, but how much time and effort will it cost you? and what will you get out of it?

principles can get expensive.

If you don't have principles you have nothing. Not those bullshit religious "principles" but principles that actually mean something. If OP thinks he's been hard done by then he should spend all the time and money it takes to make it right. Personally I'd be smashing them on social media and making it aware to as many people as possible and hurt them that way rather than trying to eek a dollar out of them.

May 6, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
Geelong
If you don't have principles you have nothing. Not those bullshit religious "principles" but principles that actually mean something. If OP thinks he's been hard done by then he should spend all the time and money it takes to make it right. Personally I'd be smashing them on social media and making it aware to as many people as possible and hurt them that way rather than trying to eek a dollar out of them.

To follow on - I was in a car accident about 15 years ago, some old prick turned straight into me ruined the whole side of the car, nearly written off. He said i was speeding and drunk and blah blah blah. I had 0% blame but it carried on for months. He assumed I was just some stupid kid he could pull one over. The damage was $1600, which was an assload of money at the time. I could have sat there and copped it but * that. I spent over $3k fighting it. I got all my costs plus the $1600 for the car and * it was so sweet to see that sour old campaigner pull the cheque book out.

To lose $4500 at that time would have crippled me financially for a long time. I could barely pay the rent and eat for months but I wouldn't change a thing. Sometimes money just isn't that important.

Rourke

Watching the Numbers
Mar 9, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
On the other side of the coin, how much have they profited from it?
The first question your lawyer is going to ask is "What do you want to achieve?" Do you want to just get them to take down the text content? That's probably as easy as asking them in a firm but polite tone. Do you want them to give you a free betting voucher? Possible that they will offer something like that, but it won't be a fortune. In the meantime the lawyer is extracting $6 per minute from your wallet.

You would have a much clearer situation if they had just ripped you off verbatim, but some low-level TAB lackey has gone to the trouble of rewording a few things here and there to disguise the source. It may even be enough of a change to avoid copyright infringement, but ask an expert please. I would not be confident of financial gain to you through a legal process.

I've had the situation a few times where organisations have ripped off my content, mostly overseas operators. I've had my logos stolen and repurposed - they took the trouble to cut them out, resize them and combine them with other elements but it is still quite a shock to see it happen. You could choose to view it as "the sincerest form of flattery". In your position, because it's a local operator I would write to them and ask for the resolution you want. Then move on and keep producing great content that gets noticed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back