Lyon approaches AFL for resting

Remove this Banner Ad

wormburner67

Team Captain
Dec 9, 2011
AFL Club
Fremantle
I just saw this on the AFL sight and am curious to see how Gil McLaughlin see's it (funny how that is GM!!).
I didn't really know this was in effect!

And I quote..

"MINOR premier Fremantle will seek approval from the AFL to rest players for next Sunday's trip to Port Adelaide, coach Ross Lyon says.

The Dockers secured the minor premiership with one round remaining on Sunday after a 54-point win over Melbourne at Domain Stadium.

Next week's Fremantle-Port Adelaide clash will have no bearing on the top eight with the ninth-placed Power unable to move any higher on the ladder.

The AFL introduced a rule two years ago to prevent clubs from mass changes after the Dockers made 11 changes in the final round of the 2013 season in a calculated risk when it was confirmed they would finish no lower than fourth.

"We've earned that opportunity but that sits within the rules of the AFL," Lyon said post-match.

"We are fatigued. There does need to be management of our players. Certainly there's no impact on any other teams in the competition.

"It doesn't impact Port and we can't improve or lesson our position. So clearly it's an opportunity.

"We'll formally contact the AFL tomorrow."

More to come

- See more at: http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-08-...ikely-for-minor-premiers#sthash.CingTk20.dpuf"

Last edited:
afl will strip us of premiership points if we rest more than 2 players I can see it now, im playing the devils advocate here but it wouldn't surprise me if this happened

If we weren't allowed we'd probably just play possy footy and not risk injuries. Someone like Pav would start as the sub and the game would be a bit of a joke.

At least our B side will give 100% and honestly would put on a better show than Melbourne today.

I think the rule is stupid. You should be allowed to play whatever team you like on any given week.
Agree. The AFL community, read the Melbourne media, got its knickers in a twist over the St Kilda game in 2013 cos they don't understand or care what it's like to fly every second week. But regardless, they should get over it.

Peel should probably do the same thing with their half a dozen decent players. They're going to get utterly slaughtered regardless, so they may as well have a completely fresh team for their first semi final in a couple of weeks.

Don't know why we even have to ask. Just list the players out with general soreness and the AFL can't say sh*t.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Looking at this from the other side of the fence, PA would benefit from losing this game. They could improve their draft position by 2, but we will prevent that by virtually guaranteeing them a win. I've always thought 9th is the worst position to finish on the ladder. Out of finals and not a particularly good draft position. Oh well, you get that. ;)

Agree. The AFL community, read the Melbourne media, got its knickers in a twist over the St Kilda game in 2013 cos they don't understand or care what it's like to fly every second week. But regardless, they should get over it.

The uproar was pathetic. The Port game will be worse if we can't rest players because no smart player would attack the ball hard. If we get to play some youth, then we can get some experience into them and the game is not a waste of time.

Lyon will play his second favorite no brain, no talent drones robotically masquerading inside a one dimensional gameplan and no one will realise we took the foot off.:thumbsu:

While its obvious resting players would have no effect on the integrity of the competition, we all know the AFL is more concerned about the impact on the bookies especially those who hand over money to the AFL.

**** the bookies,they always win in the end.

I put money on PA next week to beat us at $2.05 and $1.75

The market now is port at $1.30

As long as we're not trying to impact our ladder position or finals opponent, the only thing stopping us from resting players is the numerical difference between the number of players required to field a team and the number of players on our list.

I can see Sutcliffe , Neale, Mundy, Barlow , Spurr, Suban and Sandy getting a rest

I can see Sutcliffe , Neale, Mundy, Barlow , Spurr, Suban and Sandy getting a rest

Really? For some reason these players never get the rest.

Sandi, Pav, McFarlin to me seem the certainties.

Mayne and D.Pearce should be rested.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back