List Mgmt. Lyons staying

Remove this Banner Ad

I swear Rutland has to do with the name of the scooter club that Tex named along with the Crouch brothers who both also have scooters.

Happy to hear he resigned, always felt this kid is going to go ok, I have been around a while - I was there when we played the Hawks on day one! I have heard the hype etc etc etc was devastated the day we took Carey! I Questioned the trade - Groom for some kid named Mcleod, only to be told by my brother who knows more about footy than me - don't stress this kid is a star, trust me!
So FF I believe Lyon is going to be a 200+ game player think maybe just under Tyson Edwards but not by much! Just saying!
What does your brother think about Lyons...

Great news, King Elvis will be a very happy man....

Very happy!

Two years in a row, he's had significant interest from Melbourne teams.

Last year, we convinced him to stay, and then effectively betrayed his trust by refusing to give him a real opportunity.

This year, Walsh has obviously convinced him to stay again - and I've got no doubt Walsh will give him every opportunity to thrive - opportunities he's earned a dozen times over.

Really pleased :)

Very happy!

Last year, we convinced him to stay, and then effectively betrayed his trust by refusing to give him a real opportunity.

This year, Walsh has obviously convinced him to stay again - and I've got no doubt Walsh will give him every opportunity to thrive - opportunities he's earned a dozen times over.

Really pleased :)
Should reward blokes with this much loyalty. I would give sick taste if he doesn't get a good run at it next.
Has the potential to be a 25 disposals+, 7 clearances+ and 1-2 goals type of player.
What do you reckon will be the good mix in the midfield with Grigg, JL and MC in the future?

I don't think he's that slow. If he is, then it's amazing how easily he finds the ball. I've seen terms like treacle used, I would bet he's not the slowest mid over 20m. He's also one of the most natural and smoothest movers within the contest. He's not Brad Crouch in that sense, but nor are any other of our other mids. We will be a better team if he gets much more stoppage time. I know Sando disagrees with me, but I'm comfortable with that.

Bit amused by the "Lyons hasn't impressed me" brigade. Bit hard to impress when he was barely given a game...

Like to think big things could happen to Lyons and Grigg this year if they are played in front of a couple of plodders called Martin and Wright
Sorry but there's no way Wright is a plodder, and Martin isn't a mid so no comparison. Stop grinding your axe.

I'm just not seeing Lyons being capable of playing AFL style football. He's great in close and has a good leg, but God he's slow. Maybe Phil has a particular role in mind, but we can't play Thommo and Lyons in the same team imo, we just lose too much pace.

And PS those people saying we should play Danger as an outside mid... just stop. The kid is an instinctive ball hunter. Just let him play his natural game. Trying to change how a player naturally plays the game never works.

So you agree he was dropped 2 games after kicking 6 goals.

Apologies Freddy Bassett - I misread your post. Yes he was dropped 2 games after kicking 6 goals.

I have no problem with it considering he was just turned 20 year old kid and had just played 8 games in a row. His form in those two games before he was dropped was not good and in my opinion it was a player management decision to give him a rest. I have no problems with this at all and would hardly say it hurt his development.

It is 100% untrue that Kerridge has been mis-managed.

Sorry but there's no way Wright is a plodder, and Martin isn't a mid so no comparison. Stop grinding your axe.

He is an average player at best.

I'm just not seeing Lyons being capable of playing AFL style football. He's great in close and has a good leg, but God he's slow. Maybe Phil has a particular role in mind, but we can't play Thommo and Lyons in the same team imo, we just lose too much pace.

Will be very interesting to see what happens with Thommo this year.

And PS those people saying we should play Danger as an outside mid... just stop. The kid is an instinctive ball hunter. Just let him play his natural game. Trying to change how a player naturally plays the game never works.

Agree 100%. Danger sees ball and gets ball. Let him play to his freakish advantages.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Apologies Freddy Bassett - I misread your post. Yes he was dropped 2 games after kicking 6 goals.

I have no problem with it considering he was just turned 20 year old kid and had just played 8 games in a row. His form in those two games before he was dropped was not good and in my opinion it was a player management decision to give him a rest. I have no problems with this at all and would hardly say it hurt his development.

It is 100% untrue that Kerridge has been mis-managed.

Got no problems with Kerridge being rested at that stage.. But our season was over and I found it puzzling that he and Lyons weren't played at every opportunity ..

I don't think Lyons biggest issue is pace but spreading hard.. Got a feeling Walsh will have Crouch jr, Grigg and Lyons spreading at the standard required..
Crouch spreads well. He is almost matt connell like in his ability to get in space for short chip passes.

Didn't one of his coach change the way Roo played? Stopped him from playing like a battering ram?

If that were completely true he'd be gone. Last year we got offered very little for him from Melbourne and they eventually pulled the pin on discussions. I would be very keen to hear who you think showed interest in him this year.

He deliberately held off on signing a contract with us, hoping that someone would come forward during trade week. He just signed for a further 2 years with us. What does that tell you?

Last edited:

Don't agree with that at all. That is exactly what coaching these guys is about ... teaching them to play the best way for the team.

You know what I want to stop - hearing people say "See ball, get ball" ... talk about a stupid footballer if that's all they think about.

Danger is not this at all. Sure he is a contested ball beast, but he is also elite speed, a long kick, and is great in the air. We aren't using his rare skills well by having him diving into every pack and trying to carry 3 or 4 players on his back while he shuffles out a handball to ... Thommo? He should be on the receive side of the coin more often.

Same goes for Lyons, let's use him for what he is good at - but coach him to be the best player for the TEAM.

A little off topic but : I was looking for an old article that talked about changing players natural instincts (couldn't find it) but did find this one on Danger , gave me a smile :)

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2008-03-28/the-dangerfield-defence

He deliberately held off on signing a contract with us, hoping that someone would come forward during trade week. He just signed for a further 2 years with us. What does that tell you?

Is that really true, though? I think it's more likely that he wanted to wait and see how he felt about the coach before deciding whether to stay or not. Didn't we hear that St Kilda pursued him at the trade table?

Either way, you're making assumptions here.

Either way, you're making assumptions here.

Never happened before on bigfooty.

He met with Walsh immediately after trade week finished. You really think Im drawing a long bow do you? He signed 2 days later.

Im glad Walsh passed his coach interview with the young bloke and he didnt have to nominate himself for the PSD after he resisted all of the lucrative offers from Melbourne clubs.

I don't think he's that slow. If he is, then it's amazing how easily he finds the ball. I've seen terms like treacle used, I would bet he's not the slowest mid over 20m. He's also one of the most natural and smoothest movers within the contest. He's not Brad Crouch in that sense, but nor are any other of our other mids. We will be a better team if he gets much more stoppage time. I know Sando disagrees with me, but I'm comfortable with that.

I agree. I remember going out to preseason for what must have been one of JL's first sessions with the club. At the end of training they lined him up against Danger for a 10m sprint and the first one was a dead heat or JL may have won by a nose. Danger got serious in the 2nd heat and won but JL wasn't disgraced. I think he's probably first-step quick but not quick over 50m.

I agree. I remember going out to preseason for what must have been one of JL's first sessions with the club. At the end of training they lined him up against Danger for a 10m sprint and the first one was a dead heat or JL may have won by a nose. Danger got serious in the 2nd heat and won but JL wasn't disgraced. I think he's probably first-step quick but not quick over 50m.
Then I suggest you look at some actual match footage because for a player of his stature it is obvious he DOES lack pace.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back