Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 28, 2006
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Arsenal, West Adelaide
That's not something I was expecting...

David Mackay is set to become a one-club player after resisting the lure of Free Agency and re-signing with the Crows for a further four years.

Mackay, 26, will remain at Adelaide until at least the end of 2018. Recruited with pick No.48 in the 2006 National Draft, the damaging wingman has played 120 games.

Mackay said he was rapt with the prospect of playing out his career with the Crows.

http://www.afc.com.au/news/2014-07-30/four-more-for-mackay

Don't like this. Flexibility with cap space is so important now, I don't like the idea of someone from outside our top 10 being locked away on a long term deal.

Has played 120-odd games and I'm still not sure that at full strength, he wouldn't be dangerously close to the edge of being dropped to the SANFL.

4 years - are you serious!!

Are these the same buffoons that gave Reilly that two year extension.

A lot can happen in 4 years, he would be player 14-18 it won't take much improvement from youngsters and/or a drop off in form for him to slip out best 25.

Last edited:
Wow.

He's played well this season and happy to re-sign, but 4 year deals are for stars IMHO.

Though with 7 and 9 year deals being bandied about perhaps that's an outdated attitude.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Great to hear! For those concerned, I would hope/imagine we would be smart enough to structure his payment around the priority of resigning our big ticket players and attracting free agents.

Great to hear! For those concerned, I would hope/imagine we would be smart enough to structure his payment around the priority of resigning our big ticket players and attracting free agents.

It makes a total of TEN players now contracted past 2015. There's PLENTY of room about.

exactly, id say the final year at a minimum will be heavily performancee based (either based on that seasons output or the year prior to trigger it).

We can't say that signing him for 4 years reduces our flexibility at all as we don't know the details.

If he is on 50k less per season as a trade off for added long term security then it helps us in this case

I am not unhappy with this, obviously the long term deal isn't for a huge sum of cash and nullifies the FA issue. I think that if we had more run and carry types that he may not be so important but it is the one type of player that we need to retain so good on the AFC for making it happen

Without knowing further details it's difficult to know whether its a good contract for us or not. I'm assuming his main issue in negotiations was the length of the contract, so hopefully he took a discount, given that it's 4 years.

Anyway, by all accounts he's a pretty good guy, who likes being here, and wants to play for this club. He's had a very good season, and if he keeps up this level of play he's easily good enough to be in the team.

Seems like a longer deal than he deserves, but on the other hand, it could be a good thing. If he keeps his form in the upper spectrum of his potential, we're most likely getting him below cost value.

On the other hand, if his form is junk, we're committed long-term to a player that might not deserve to be here anymore.

I guess that's the job of a list manager: to identify when risks are worth taking and when they're not. Obviously we're a big fan of Mackay.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back