News Mackay signs for 4 years

Remove this Banner Ad

Okay let's look at this way and assume there were other suitors.

Crows to DMack: we want to put you on an incentive based contract and not over pay you
DMack: But I have offers from other clubs that aren't incentive based and paying me good money
Crows: But we are going to only offer you an incentive based contract and not overpay you
DMack: ok then I'll stay

Now if he didn't have other such offers why did we sign him for 4 years?

If you were David Mackay, what deal would you take?

$1,000,000 over 4 years @ $250,000 or $1,000,000 over 2 years @ $500,000 per year. (all hypothetical figures)

The 2 year deal gives you the ability to earn more money but you also have the risk of getting injured and never playing again. However, the 4 years gives you security. I think he took the 4 year deal for the security factor.

$1,000,000 over 4 years @ $250,000 or $1,000,000 over 2 years @ $500,000 per year. (all hypothetical figures)

The 2 year deal gives you the ability to earn more money but you also have the risk of getting injured and never playing again. However, the 4 years gives you security. I think he took the 4 year deal for the security factor.

Anyone who didn't take the 500k
X 2 option in that scenario is clinically brain dead

I thought the Reilly resigning or the Graham/Pods contracts would have already done that. We really do put average men on a pedestal at the AFC.

We as in the club or we as in the supporters? or both.

But agree. As supporters, most only remember 3 or 4 week blocks of games and then they are either seen as champions or chumps.

We as in the club or we as in the supporters? or both.

But agree. As supporters, most only remember 3 or 4 week blocks of games and then they are either seen as champions or chumps.

Both but especially us. We have been showering Noble with love since he repeated "I can't tell you anything Graham" during the Tippett affair.

How do you know it's 400 for 4? How do you know the 4th isn't performance based? How do you know if his wage isn't highly incentivised? What if the contract is front loaded with the 4th for stuff all money?

How do you know any detail that proves it's a bad contract for the club?

On top of that, if the club let him go and we were unable to secure some outside run in a trade or our lightning fast draftee just did not come on like expected. Who would be the 1st ones complaining that the club should have done more to keep him?

As middle of the road that he is, we couldn't afford to lose him.

If he is in the team for pace and elite kicking skill then he's doing a piss-poor impersonation of his role. We would be better served getting a natural ball winning mid and tackler to replace him. Your points on knowledge of the deal are correct, I can only go on what's reported, I haven't seen the contract. However, back loading makes no difference if it's still $1.6m over 4 years. That's coin required to snare a fa/uncontracted or keep someone else. Salary cap is finite and mackay is worthy of about $170-$250k. Similar to Reilly he was well on his way to getting dropped. If it wasn't for this rubbish about his speed, elite (ha, ha) leg and outside game, he'd be lucky yo get a game.

Have you heard he's on $250k? If so, that's not a disaster in terms of salary cap space. Should be 2 years with incentivised 3rd though. If it's 4 straight as reported then it's still terrible, even at the lower amount.

Have you heard he's on $250k? If so, that's not a disaster in terms of salary cap space. Should be 2 years with incentivised 3rd though. If it's 4 straight as reported then it's still terrible, even at the lower amount.

No, all were hypothetical figures.

yeah - didn't really think it through.

He would have taken the 4 years for financial security.

Your model's numbers are a bit extreme. But the concept is right. He's possibly been offered for example a million over 3 years by someone else and then possibly be too old to be picked up. But we've offered him a 4th at say 200k....

Surely the only way he squeezed four years out of us was because the money was significantly reduced.

Even if the money is reduced it's such a disappointing signing. He doesn't display any of the traits of a senior player, other than games played.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

can't be bothered looking as you criticize me for dragging up old posts :D ......but my claim was backed up by a couple of other posters, same as calling for Shaw to be delisted

If we're going to judge players overall game by game then we won't have a team .......if he was bad enough they would have dropped Mackay for Cameron
I can confirm I called for Shaw to be delisted as he still can't consistently kick at afl level. Kicked 3 out of bounds on the full last night under no pressure. Just not good enough!

I can confirm I called for Shaw to be delisted as he still can't consistently kick at afl level. Kicked 3 out of bounds on the full last night under no pressure. Just not good enough!
Thanks Kane ....EC there's your confirmation

Yes but how many mates did he have last night .......are we going to delist half the team ?

What did you think of his disposal?
First game i missed because we went out for dinner with relatives from Adelaide .....so can't make any comments

But once again why this desire to judge players overall ability on a week by week basis ......that's defining form not talent

Yes but how many mates did he have last night .......are we going to delist half the team ?
I can't recall any other player in any game kicking the ball out on the full 3 times in the same game under no pressure!

My point once again is shaw's disposal will never be up to afl standard.

Yes there were some ordinary players last night but that is another issue...

First game i missed because we went out for dinner with relatives from Adelaide .....so can't make any comments

But once again why this desire to judge players overall ability on a week by week basis ......that's defining form not talent
He can't kick and he's shown that week by week due to a lack of talent

But he consistently does it..
It's not 1 or 2 games of form..

I can't recall any other player in any game kicking the ball out on the full 3 times in the same game under no pressure!

My point once again is shaw's disposal will never be up to afl standard.

Yes there were some ordinary players last night but that is another issue...
You won't mind then if i continue to wave the flag for Shaw ;)

You won't mind then if i continue to wave the flag for Shaw ;)
You better start taking him out for kicking training as I ssuspect he won't be on our list next year - even with Otten injured & truck retiring.

Even l Thompson is ahead of Shaw & you know my thoughts on lt!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back