Macrae & Stringer vs Martin & Anderson

Martin & Anderson or Macrae & Stringer

• Martin & Anderson

Votes: 36 26.9%
  • Macrae & Stringer

Votes: 98 73.1%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

It's funny despite kicking 5 goals I actually came away being confident that Stringer does have the tools to become a midfielder. He definitely moves better than I thought he did.

Still don't think he'll ever be a star forward.
yeah pretty much all his goals were through general play, he is definitely a midfielder. But one who can rest in a kpf spot, which is pretty handy.

It's funny despite kicking 5 goals I actually came away being confident that Stringer does have the tools to become a midfielder. He definitely moves better than I thought he did.

Depends on your classification of a star. I'd say he has the potential to be a star player who plays midfield/forward.

On the thread premise: Jack Martin is looking to be a little overrated so far. I know he's been injured and is small but he looked quite timid against St Kilda.

Fair call. He definitely moves like a midfielder, and he'll compete physically and dispose of it well. He's regaining speed as time goes on, he had that horrific leg injury a few years ago and entered the AFL system still quite unfit.

It's a bonus that he can mark in a pack and on the lead and slot it from any spot within 60 meters, but yeah, he won't hold down a key post in the forward line. He's going to be a very, very good player if he's managed well, though, and I think having Bontempelli in the side helps with that (you'd have seen the Bont standing Fletcher in the square on a few occasions).

Now for that elusive star key forward...

Curious what people think about this now?

No doubt Martins yet to show any of his true potential, and will come good (although he'd want to bulk up a bit) but I dare say Stringer has just as much star potential as him. Reckon Stringer will be the best player on our list within 3 years, starting to show the speed, power and aggression he had pre leg break!

the last 2-3 games has shown what martin can do. Add some size and he will be an absolute gem.

Problem is i believe martin will be the best player of the 4 and andersom the worst.

Ignorant comment and i know its only very early days, but im scared Martin will become an over hyped Cyril type. Someone who struggles to impact a game for large chunks and rack up only about 15 disposals a game.
This reaction is probably due to his injury and having one of the biggest hyped debut seasons of all time.

Im also starting to wonder what he will be at AFL level, forward/back flanker? Wingman? On baller?

It's funny despite kicking 5 goals I actually came away being confident that Stringer does have the tools to become a midfielder.

I mean star as in being able to kick 50 plus goals regularly not trying to say he couldn't be a star hff

Well he's made a start

Stringer doesn't look great.

Macrae and Martin could be equal but Jed Anderson once he actually plays a bit should overtake stirnger quite quickly.
Stringer looks alright, but he's no Anderson. ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agreed. I doubt Stringer will ever be a star forward as he just doesn't have the size or athleticism unless he can become a big bodied mid I don't see him developing into a great player.

Not sure Chapman is comparable to Stringer at all. Chappy was an excellent goal kicking midfielder and Stringer has shown nothing as a midfielder at AFL level.

Unless he does make a move to the midfield I doubt he'll ever get close to fulfilling his predraft hype.

That's why I have reserved judgement until he gets a go in thee midfield. Which may or may not happen. I don't understand why you can't handle someone not rating Stringer as a future A grade forward.

I'm just saying I'm not sure that he'll ever make the transition to the midfield and I don't think he has the attributes of A-grade forward.

I'm more than happy to concede that time is on his side and that barring injury his tank will improve massively over the next couple of years.

Bullshit to the bolded.

There is a fair chance I just haven't seen enough of Stringer to pass good judgement on him.

To explain my thinking further. I see Jack Darling as better athlete than Stringer and for me the only thing holding Darling back from being a star of the comp is his lack of size. So if Darling can't do it I struggle to see how Stringer will be able too.

curious as to your views on Stringer now?

Yeah I got this very wrong.

I put it down to main reasons.

1.I didn't appreciate how much footballing talent Stringer has.

2. I didn't buy that his broken leg was still affecting. Which made me doubt his true athleticism

Fair enough. He's going to be an absolute star if he keeps improving at this rate. Will be interesting to see if he backs it up next year.

Back