Mad Monday Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

I just think he was tempting fate especially after #wheelchairkebabgate and regardless of the truth of the previous circumstance it makes Rich seem like a prejudiced nong.

Yeah, this is it for me. I'm in the 'blackface is a really poor idea, anytime' camp and I don't believe at all that Rich had the intent to denigrate, but my overriding emotion is a sense of moderate disappointment that after last year he wasn't a little smarter about this.

The only post I have found truly objectional in the last page is Dom PC's "get off the fence" comment.

God forbid people acknowledge the complexity of the issue. Wasn't aware we had to nail our flag to the mast at one of two ideological extremes.

No grey areas allowed which seemingly precludes me from both expressing my firm belief that Rich doesn't have a racist bone in his body while also simultaneously rolling my eyes at the white middle-class bemoaning political correctness and supporting it with analogies that completely fail to capture the social/historical context as well as the political/power imbalances that lies at the heart of the issue.

Not one person here has accused Rich of being racist or deliberately offensive, but if simply posting a link to external information (with no editorial at all) about why some people find blackface troubling is enough to light the powder keg, then the problem isn't fence sitters, it's flag wavers.

Exactly the reason why I preemptively declared my complete lack of desire to debate the topic. Footy forums and nuance go together like mint peas and custard.
Sorry TBD or anyone else I offended, certainly wasn't a personal attack on anyone.

So was Rich's choice of costume racist TBD?

Let's be honest, it's incredibly hard to know who these guys are meant to be dressed as without the blackface

image.jpg

Let's be honest, it's incredibly hard to know who these guys are meant to be dressed as without the blackface

White Chicks.jpg
Jeez you must be offended by this movie... you should be lobbying to have it banned in Australia due to it's racial stereotyping.

As a said, context and discretion is needed for each case.

Judging other peoples actions (especially off face value) by their skin colour is a form of racism. I would love people to change my mind about that fact - I wish someone would TBH.

Last edited:
View attachment 77220
Jeez you must be offended by this movie... you should be lobbying to have it band in Australia due to it's racial stereotyping.

As a said, context and discretion is needed for each case.

Judging other peoples actions (especially off face value) by their skin colour is a form of racism. I would love people to change my mind about that fact - I wish someone would TBH.

There wasn't a history of black people painting themselves white and acting like fools.

That's where the issue lies, I think.

It shouldn't have happened - hopefully he's been spoken to.

There wasn't a history of black people painting themselves white and acting like fools.

That's where the issue lies, I think.

It shouldn't have happened - hopefully he's been spoken to.
Yea I can accept that. Just not the harsh/intense reaction the person in question is receiving. I'll quote someone from the main board as I think they nailed my thoughts exactly.

"I think there's a difference in using blackface to ridicule or humiliate blacks and dressing up as someone who happens to be black.

Like, LeBron James is black, right, we all accept that? Is that racist?

If a person who happens to be white dresses up as black person but leaves their skin white its going to look pretty stupid, in this case I dont see it as any different to dressing up as say, a bald person and wearing a swimming cap.

It's simply making yourself look like the person you're trying to impersonate. IF you try and draw racial hate from this particular situation you're just looking for an excuse to get offended."

I leave it alone from here, hope I haven't stood on too many toes.

Some folk don't know what is offensive. Simple as that. My brother in law didn't realise that monkey to a black man was derogatory. I could not believe it... mind you he has never called a black man a monkey, and he's not a racist... but none the less he was unaware, and was mortified when I filled him in. 40 years ago I had a golliwog, said eeny meeny miny mo probably daily, and knew not one black person (here in Melbourne). I would not have had a clue of its vile history and would have been too young to understand fully anyway. It just shows that for people to understand the relevance a lot of water has to flow under the bridge. 40 years and we still don't get it. Richy should be spoken to, and everyone else who thought it was a good idea. Remember when Newton called Ali "boy"? Sam Newman did black face, and Kennett still defends golliwogs rights.

Dayne+Beams+Richmond+v+Collingwood+_DdYeATexY7l.jpg

Hows this for a funny costume? ;) At least he shouldn't have to wear it again though... :D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why would anyone in this day and age be offended by Blackface? Seriously people nowadays are offended by anything and everything that someone does because they have been brought up with a silver spoon hanging out of their mouth expecting everything to go their way and when it doesn't they scream discrimination...

Why would anyone in this day and age be offended by Blackface? Seriously people nowadays are offended by anything and everything that someone does because they have been brought up with a silver spoon hanging out of their mouth expecting everything to go their way and when it doesn't they scream discrimination...

People tend to be offended for others at the moment. It is some kind of trend. A thicker skin is need by all IMO.

I would just put it down as really ill advised, if I thought that any advice had been sought on it.

The kinda sad thing is I imagine that Rich is a big Le Bron fan, it would have been done purely in homage with no ill intent at all and without a moments thought to the negative connotations. And therein lies the problem.

Interestingly I imagine that a few of the players even on Mad Monday would have been alive to the issue and as soon as he turned up would have thought...um... oh... Kay... you stand over their Dan, we may not have heard the last of this.

Last edited:
Them darkies should get a thicker skin or we'll thicken and darken it some more with a cat'o'nine'tails!

Jeebus wept - how can some people not see anything wrong with the dominant paradigm telling a previously oppressed minority how to feel?

how can some people not see anything wrong with the dominant paradigm telling a previously oppressed minority how to feel?

Because they don't have experience from the other side of the equation. It's a common view - if something hasn't happened to person X, it must not happen. Nothing particularly surprising about it.

Them darkies should get a thicker skin or we'll thicken and darken it some more with a cat'o'nine'tails!

Jeebus wept - how can some people not see anything wrong with the dominant paradigm telling a previously oppressed minority how to feel?

Much less confronting for the white middle-class to pretend they are hard done by. Today Tonight and ACA have pandered to this mentality for years.

John Stewart nailed it with his Ferguson monologue... If people are sick of hearing about racism, they should imagine living it.

In before "so you are saying Rich is racist then?!&$@&!" response.

It's because all them black fellas are born with a silver spoon in their mouths, apparently.

Seriously, just when it is thought that you couldn't possibly get any more ridiculous...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back