AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Liverpool
BEAU WILKES
Height: 194cm
Weight: 96kg
Position: Defender
Reliable third defender who spent three years on the West Coast rookie list before cracking a senior game in 2008. Was delisted at the end of last season after 23 AFL matches. Played in Claremont's 2011 WAFL premiership side and won the Simpson Medal as the best player on the ground, kicking five goals.

BEAU WILKES
Height: 194cm
Weight: 96kg
Position: Defender
Reliable third defender who spent three years on the West Coast rookie list before cracking a senior game in 2008. Was delisted at the end of last season after 23 AFL matches. Played in Claremont's 2011 WAFL premiership side and won the Simpson Medal as the best player on the ground, kicking five goals.

This bloke is a gun and genuinely one of the best key position players outside the AFL. Used only as a back up defender at West Coast - even though he was a CHF when they drafted him - he can play anywhere.
No disrespect - but he would easily be in the Saints best 22 at either end.
Hard as nails and a superb leader.

Can see him fitting in well at the Saints, should be an upgrade from Dawson. Good in 1on1's but wasn't the best kick in the world

Some positive comments from Eagles fans there. It's always encouraging to hear that from the supporters of a new recruits former club

It's sounds like he thrived when moved forward halfway through the season.

What excites me is his versatility.

The long term aim seems to be having Tom Simpkin and Jackson Ferguson as our key defenders. Simpkin will get a chance early but Ferguson will take longer. Gwilt's return is huge but he's more of a second or third defender. Ideally we'd like Fisher to play as the third man up and get his hands on the ball but he's an option if we are struggling. There's definitely a place for Wilkes if he is good enough.

At the same time, we've also been crying out for that second or third target inside 50 to support Roo and Wilkes could be that man.

He's been given a chance and I hope he takes it.

Thanks for the comments, guys.

With Kennedy, Lynch, McKenzie, Glass, Waters, a resting NickNat/Cox and probably another couple that don't spring to mind, there doesn't seem a lot of room on WC's list for other KP players.

His interview acknowledges he was a bit too laid back during his days at the Eagles. We obviously hope he can flick the switch.

I think Wilkes could be more valuable as a forward than a defender, he could play as a third forward or even full forward as a replacement for Kosi. Might also be handy in defence with Dawson leaving, definitely worth a gamble with a late draft pick given his versatility.

Wilkes, Ferguson, and Simpkin probably all have more rebound ability than Dawson and Blake. ( and Baker is no longer with us ).
Our backline is becoming less dour.
Lever also may be more of a defender than a ruckman. It would be a nice arrangement to have McEvoy, with Stanley forward and Lever in the back in a team.

Matt Burgan's Nov 2004 Draft Preview excerpt:

57 - WEST COAST - Beau Wilkes
(Claremont), 20 March 1986, 194cm, 91kg

Although in some respects West Coast is adopting 'the best available player' approach in this year's National Bank's AFL Draft, there is no doubt that adding another key tall into the club's already enviable mix of big men will be tempting. Wilkes, a West Australian, has been touted as a possible late selection for the club and is likely to figure in the Eagles thoughts during this year's meeting. A strong marking forward, particularly in contested situations, Wilkes has a terrific work rate for a player of his size. He represented Western Australia at this year's National Bank's AFL under-18 championships and was a fine performer in his side's final match against Victoria Country, when he claimed 22 disposals and 12 marks. He was also named captain of the WAFL Colts team of the year in 2004. His recent efforts at the National Bank's AFL Draft Camp also lifted his rating, as he finished with a time of 10 minutes 42 seconds, which was a good effort for big man.

Wilkes would have found it difficult at WCE with Glass, McKenzie and Schofield there. Reckon he will slot in as a tall back, ready made replacement for Dawson.
Always had time for him from when he was taken as a rookie...

251111sptwilkes4_17d0nk9-17d0nkd.jpg

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sport/a/-/sport/12060144/wilkes-relishes-a-second-chance/

"I'm really looking forward to the new surroundings and another opportunity, knowing that Scotty Watters and the St Kilda footy club have drafted me potentially with the need for a player of my capa- bilities and what I can offer," he said.

"Deep down, that's what has given me a lot of confidence. Knowing that they want me and that they have come out and drafted me and for a reason. I'm going to try my hardest to repay them."

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For some reason, he just doesn't "look" like a footballer of you know what I mean. It's always a bit odd at first seeing a new player in a St Kilda jumper, but there's something different in Beau's case and I can't quite put my finger on it.
He looks like he's your 35 year old neighbor.

For some reason, he just doesn't "look" like a footballer of you know what I mean. It's always a bit odd at first seeing a new player in a St Kilda jumper, but there's something different in Beau's case and I can't quite put my finger on it.
I see it in the same way I don't see Doug Bollinger as a first class cricketer

Beau Wilkes

249289-beau-wilkes.jpg

2012 was a year of mixed emotions for the man with the "well lived in head".

This time last year Beau Wilkes was preparing for life after football. That changed when his was called out (surprisingly to most) at pick 68 for St Kilda. Playing primarily as a defender for West Coast Wilkes was delisted at the end of 2010 after being rookie listed 3 times. He went on to kick over 40 goals in a season at full forward for Claremont in the WAFL. Clearly this impressed former West Coast player and new Saints coach Scott Watters enough to give him a fourth chance.

Wilkes kicked 8 goals in 2 games for Sandringham up forward at the start of the year, and was named as an emergency for St Kilda in rounds 3 and 4 before finally getting a senior call up in round 5. Wilkes kicked 2 goals in the first quarter, along with 1 in the third quarter (taking a hanger or two along the way) before surprisingly being subbed out of the game. Watters had this to say: "...he takes a mark 55m out ... so we tried to reverse the call at that point. But unfortunately the paper work had gone in. Once the call had been made, it was difficult (to change)."

Dropped the following week, Beau found it hard to find a consistent place in the 22. Trialed as a defender against his former team West Coast, he perhaps showed why he was delisted as one. It wasn't until round 20 that Wilkes had a consistent string of games, staying in the side until the end of the season. That game (his second against Melbourne) was perhaps the best of his career to date. With Nick Riewoldt going down with injury early in the game, Wilkes excelled as the team's main target, amassing 17 touches, 12 marks, and kicking 5 goals straight.

Overall Wilkes showed promise this year, hopefully in 2013 he can get a consistent run at it and become the intimidating presence up forward we've lacked since Fraser Gehrig retired.

Season Rating: 7/10

The St Kilda player formerly known as Wilkes officially changed his surname to his mother's maiden name, Maister, on Wednesday.

"It's a personal decision that I have been thinking about for a while," Maister told the Saints' website.

"I just felt now is the right time to change my name. I feel strongly about the decision I've made.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-02-06/meet-mr-maister

"Last year was a challenging year and I was happy to a degree to get 10 games, but I'm really striving to improve on that this year," Maister told AFL.com.au.

"As much as it's never easy because it's very demanding what we do, being my second year this year I've become closer with certain guys and I feel a bit more comfortable around the club.

"I know the structures a lot more now than when I came straight in last year.

"Body wise I've felt good, I've done as much as I think I could have training load wise.

"I haven't missed a main session, so that always leaves you in good stead."

- See more at: http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-03-01/mister-maister-hopes-to-master-matches?utm_medium=RSS#sthash.O6Bs2Wfl.dpuf

Melbourne fans around the country jumping for joy right now.

Good luck to him though. Gave everything he had and provided a couple of great games for us which is more than most draftees get.

Thanks Beau!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back