Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vigawla

All Australian
Sep 10, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Yes, I understand that they are not complex, also thank you for using italic and bold to further emphasise your point. Thanks also for letting everyone on BF what three criteria you 'deem to be necessary'. Jolly good show old chap.

I have a picture in my mind of you sitting on a chersterfield couch wearing a tweed jacket with elbow patches, really really should be a Melbourne fan, you'd fit right in.

Person x makes a big Psychological claim and says they can acquire published papers showing these effects.

I, months away from registration as a professional in the field (inb4 'thanks for letting everyone on BF know'), who has been obliged to read thousands of good and bad published papers would tend to be interested in said claim. I state three criteria of papers (that the person said they could acquire - which you seem to keep overlooking) that I require that would deem said claim to be believable, keeping in mind a healthy skepticism about file drawer biases I expressed in my original reply to said person.

Then you keep belittling me for the use of these terms and state I'm trying to act more intelligent than I actually am for what possible reason? Do you not find it ridiculous that an outsider would state that one in two people are trying to make themselves seem intelligent for using wholly appropriate language in conversation? In any other context, would you do the same to two people with assumed backgrounds in Psychology and statistics?

If you concede that the terms aren't complex, and therefore possibly quite non-complex, then why are you so bothered at my use of understandable terminology? How would I make myself seem intelligent by using simple and context-appropriate terminology with a person who said they could acquire a host of published papers? You do realise that your constant belittling of me speaks more about you than me right?

Demonheart

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 9, 2002
MCG, pocket, Punt rd end
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Victory, Hereford
Person x makes a big Psychological claim and says they can acquire published papers showing these effects.

I, months away from registration as a professional in the field (inb4 'thanks for letting everyone on BF know'), who has been obliged to read thousands of good and bad published papers would tend to be interested in said claim. I state three criteria of papers (that the person said they could acquire - which you seem to keep overlooking) that I require that would deem said claim to be believable, keeping in mind a healthy skepticism about file drawer biases I expressed in my original reply to said person.

Then you keep belittling me for the use of these terms and state I'm trying to act more intelligent than I actually am for what possible reason? Do you not find it ridiculous that an outsider would state that one in two people are trying to make themselves seem intelligent for using wholly appropriate language in conversation? In any other context, would you do the same to two people with assumed backgrounds in Psychology and statistics?

If you concede that the terms aren't complex, and therefore possibly quite non-complex, then why are you so bothered at my use of understandable terminology? How would I make myself seem intelligent by using simple and context-appropriate terminology with a person who said they could acquire a host of published papers? You do realise that your constant belittling of me speaks more about you than me right?

Do you really believe all this tripe? Look at your responses ffs, if you truly are months away from registration then that's an indictment on the profession that someone like you could get so far.

Vigawla

All Australian
Sep 10, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Do you really believe all this tripe? Look at your responses ffs, if you truly are months away from registration then that's an indictment on the profession that someone like you could get so far.

So it's not only an attack on me but Psychology as well now for using suitable language?
Again, why feel the need to belittle someone and a research field for using non-complex, context-appropriate language when talking about research papers?

Demonheart

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 9, 2002
MCG, pocket, Punt rd end
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Victory, Hereford
So it's not only an attack on me but Psychology as well now for using suitable language?
Again, why feel the need to belittle someone and a research field for using non-complex, context-appropriate language when talking about research papers?

LOL, you take yourself far too seriously. Enjoy your career.

Demonheart

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 9, 2002
MCG, pocket, Punt rd end
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Victory, Hereford
Well that's one way to attack a person and a whole Scientific field for no good reason and then walk away.

If you really were who you claim to be then this little debate wouldn't even have occurred. The fact that you're so desperate to prove yourself tells me enough about you.

Enjoy your fantasy and please reply more to prove me right.

Vigawla

All Australian
Sep 10, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
If you really were who you claim to be then this little debate wouldn't even have occurred. The fact that you're so desperate to prove yourself tells me enough about you.

Enjoy your fantasy and please reply more to prove me right.

Because a mental health professional can't utilise statistical lexicon?
Because a Psychologist must be passive and above defending against personal attacks?
Because a practitioner must act as an emotional robot, instead of utilising the practitioner-client model when appropriate?

These, are the naive views of the 1st semester psychology student.

Attempts to invalidate me and my field won't deter me from pursuing the answer to the following question which you seem to keep avoiding;
why feel the need to belittle someone and a research field for using non-complex, context-appropriate language when talking about research papers?

Or is it a simple case of you simply underestimating my stake and role in questioning the original poster, and instead of revoking on your initial smart**** joke, you're trying to make obviously untrue claims and assertions of my character to avoid said question?

Demonheart

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 9, 2002
MCG, pocket, Punt rd end
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Victory, Hereford
Because a mental health professional can't utilise statistical lexicon?
Because a Psychologist must be passive and above defending against personal attacks?
Because a practitioner must act as an emotional robot, instead of utilising the practitioner-client model when appropriate?

These, are the naive views of the 1st semester psychology student.

Attempts to invalidate me and my field won't deter me from pursuing the answer to the following question which you seem to keep avoiding;
why feel the need to belittle someone and a research field for using non-complex, context-appropriate language when talking about research papers?

Or is it a simple case of you simply underestimating my stake and role in questioning the original poster, and instead of revoking on your initial smart**** joke, you're trying to make obviously untrue claims and assertions of my character to avoid said question?

A wall of text? Seriously?

Ask yourself this question. How desperate are you?

I'm belittling you because you continue to make a fool of yourself.

Please post more.

Engimal

Cancelled
10k Posts North Melbourne - 2018 Luke Davies-Uniacke and Paul Ahern Player Sponsor Pantskyle Minecraft Shiny Penny Ruby
Apr 27, 2010
Tasmania
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Both of you, shut the * up.

Vigawla

All Australian
Sep 10, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
A wall of text? Seriously?

Ask yourself this question. How desperate are you?

I'm belittling you because you continue to make a fool of yourself.

Please post more.

Why feel the need to belittle someone and a research field for using non-complex, context-appropriate language when talking about research papers?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

May 3, 2005
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Scuderia Ferrari, Dallas Cowboys
FOOTBALLER Majak Daw raped a teenage girl in scrub land beside a creek during a house party in 2007, a court has heard.

The 23-year old, who was just 16 at the time, has pleaded not guilty to the charges.

<snip>

A witness to the alleged rape, whose name has been suppressed from publication, said she caught the Sudanese-born footballer with his pants down in a missionary position on top of her terrified friend.

“I’d say it was in between crying and screaming,’’ she said. The witness said she was about four metres away when Daw spotted her.

“He had one hand on her chest, like restraining her,’’ she told the court.

Rest of article here...

Last edited:
Doesn't look good for him based on that testimony, however, that is the evidence from the prosecution, they will make it look as bad as possible. Without wanting to be crude, she could have been squirming and being uncomfortable for different reasons other than fighting him off. If his testimony is she consented and only started to protest after her friend caught her in the act then it could be seen in a different light.

If he is guilty, I hope he gets the justice he deserves. We shouldn't presume guilt or innocence based on one side, however.

Oct 16, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Sydney
Doesn't look good for him based on that testimony, however, that is the evidence from the prosecution, they will make it look as bad as possible. Without wanting to be crude, she could have been squirming and being uncomfortable for different reasons other than fighting him off. If his testimony is she consented and only started to protest after her friend caught her in the act then it could be seen in a different light.

If he is guilty, I hope he gets the justice he deserves. We shouldn't presume guilt or innocence based on one side, however.

Not saying he is guilty, but it is very difficult to get a rape conviction even with DNA, as it becomes a he said, she said.

In this case it may become a he says, they say (girl + her friend), in which case what do you do? is 2 v 1 enough to get a conviction?

Pykie

Cancelled
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Pokemon is Life North Melbourne - North 2007 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship
Sep 17, 2006
Lord's
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
Good time to be a lawyer in Melbourne with Dumont, Daw and all the various essendon cases.

Lots of high profile clients and cases with good financial backing.

Why would aggregated robbery in Adelaide be good for a Melbourne lawyer? :drunk:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back