Make a prediction...

Remove this Banner Ad

I really have warmed to Howe. Skilled, tall, great mark and great kick, not to mention great in contested situations. I think Howe will become a star. Poise and his talent... I can't wait to see him develop. In 3-4 years he may become the steal of the draft. Looks like a better prospect than O'Rourke to be honest.

I like the look of Hardisty... good hard and endurance based player.
Well said Mrs Howe

Out of our new listed draftees, it's hard to put them against each other because they all play such different roles.

Howe I see as a Birchall type, but we'll mold him into a big-bodied midfielder (that was what Graham Wright said). That's the whole reason we picked him-towards the latter end of the season, he went from half-back to midfield and was pretty darn solid in both his positions. He's an extremely good decision maker and is a great reader of the footy, not to mention an immaculate kick. Playing the majority of the time as a defender, his weakness is that he's not particularly good one on one and can't really completely nullify his opponent. However, keep in mind that he was playing on "guerrilla forwards" (he was the CHB) and a move to the midfield would remove the need for him to play and opponents much taller than him. I think he's our template on Nat Fyfe, but has his own pros and cons. If he's anywhere near Fyfe we'll be extremely happy.

Teia Miles is really flexible. His highlights have been in the back-line, forward-line and midfield: and all have looked extremely impressive. Seems very quick and agile in bursts of play. Like Poppy, he always throws himself at the contests despite his small size. He's really good at clearances, and is probably as close to an inside midfielder as you can get. However, at this point he doesnt have the tricks or "freak" abilities to set him apart (he has really good leadership qualities though). Plenty of upside, and is compared to Luke Ball.

Marc Pittonet is the opposite of a ruckman. He makes smart decisions, and is extremely good at disposals for his size. Being 106kg and 202cm, finishing equal second in the clean hands test is astounding. He's not overly quick, but he's also not overly slow. Not to mention, he is perhaps the most immaculate tap ruckman I have ever seen. Imagine the ball being given to our players of a silver platter-that's what this kid can do. His ability to run out a game borders on weak, as his beep test and 3km time trials were actually quite bad-but with proper work ethic, endurance can be improved. Just look at Big Boy. His core weaknesses are poor marking and his work up forward-he averages only 3 marks per game, 1 contested. He only had 3 shots on goal throughout the year, admittedly spending almost 90 percent of game time in the midfield. Both these skills players can develop and improve: footballs smarts and natural ability generally cannot. Marc Pittonet seems to be a solid ruckman in the making, and perhaps one of the best if he really pushes himself (if we dont trade him when he's finally ready) and reminds me a lot of Dean Cox.

Overall, I'm making the call that Daniel Howe will become the best out of them all, but in the area we want him to be. Namely, a contested big bodied midfield that can really have a sway on the final outcome of a game. Teia Miles I can see being a carbon copy of Pops, and Marc Pittonet has a lot of potential to provide something we haven't had in a long time-dominance in the ruck concerning taps to advantage. But I feel like Daniel Howe has the potential to physically impose himself on the game, thus becoming the "best" of the bunch.

Rookie List is hard to tell: all of these players need to work on their gamestyles and fitness before they get a game, and all of them have the potential to become senior players.

Jared Hardsity is a hardworking stocky midfielder. You'll probably notice a bit of Dewey about him (puppy fat), and at 86kg he may be too big. Im expecting him to turn the fat into bulk and muscle, but I wound honestly love it if he kept the weight. For his size he runs a great beep test, 15.4, which makes him extremely good over a long period of time. 2.95 time in the 20 metre sprint means he isn't bad on the burst either. He also averages 27 disposals, which is freakish. Christian Petracca averages 25: think about that. What lets him down is his "effectiveness" per disposal: he gets a lot of the ball, but it doesn't always translate to impact. He can still impact a game, but he definitely needs to work on this area ala Will Langford. Work on it a lot. Despite his good athletic times, he also seemed to be one of the more sluggish players in the Under 18 Championships and looked a bit slow. However, his statistics prove he has all the attributes to be a star players in the making and after some solid work in the gym; turning the fat into pure muscle: and improving some aspects of his game he'll become an extremely solid players.

Big risk provides big reward. That's what the club was gunning for with Jermaine Miller-Lewis-the kid can seriously play. Awarded the Kevin Sheenan medal in 2012. He has all the attributes: he's athletic. Strong on the lead, and is a great contested mark. Has genuine football skills and passion, and can read the football as if it were on a string. His speed and agility, like generally all Aboriginal players, is one of his biggest strengths and he is described as a player who "can make something out of nothing". Everything about him screams Lance Franklin. The downside: he's an unproven talent. I don't think he's played football at all this season due to stress fractures in his shins, which means that we don't have a scope on how much he's improved and how he does on a larger and more serious stage. He also sometimes fades out of games, but more often than not (when he's playing) he's doing something freakish whether it be darting through packs of players or taking a pack mark, playing on then kicking the goal. He's a risk-but the reward we could get out of him is a smaller Lance Franklin. In the rookie draft.

I cant comment on Langford, because I don't know much about him and I'm too tired to research, but if he was training at the club prior to being selected and Graham Wright is excited about him then I'm excited too. The amount of time our selectors have let us down compared to how many times they've succeeded is extremely low. Best of luck to him, seems to be a raw forward with talent and good athletic capabilities.

Overall, Jermaine Miller-Lewis is the one that (in my opinion) has the largest potential to become the best of the bunch. Hardisty, if he puts in the time, will be an almost guaranteed solid player that can contribute week in week out with fantastic and consistent games. Langford could, and reminds me of, a Gunston. If he's half as good he should hold his head up high. But Jermaine Miller-Leiws: this kid is genuinely exciting. The type of kid who could win a game simply off his own boot if he needed to, the "X-Factor" that Rioli brings mixed with the athletic prowess of Franklin. Will he live up to the potential? It's anyone's guess, and in terms of assurance Hardisty is the best. But if we make the assumption that the glimpses Miller-Lewis has shown becomes reality-our future is bright. Blindingly so.

Summarized version of my wall of text, Daniel Howe and Jermaine Miller-Lewis are my predictions on who will become the best players of our selections. But honestly, all of them have the ability to contribute solidly to our club and maybe even break into the side if they try their hardest and constantly attempt to improve themselves as footballers rather.

~Sorry for any spelling mistakes or grammatical errors, I'm well and truly buggered. But my hands just wouldn't stop itching till I wrote my opinion on this matter. Curse you hands!

My best over their careers would be Howe mainly because of the talent still available the reccruiters must have seen somedthing special in him.
In the short term Hardisty simply because of the number of possessions he gets.
Miller-Lewis could be anything. A star I hope.
Pittonet could be anything. Another Dean Cox I hope.
Very excited with all selections, the selectors have done a magnificient job considering the picks available.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah, the whole "too slow, doesn't train well enough to take it up to AFL standard" I have heard being said about Sam Mitchell, Jobe Watson and Josh Kennedy to name a few early on in their careers. And that doesn't include the guys that "probably had a few too many beers" like Dane Swan and Dustin Martin.

And let's not forget the burst of speed that keg-on-legs Dew was able to muster to ultimately win the '08 GF.
Who said Mitchell doesn't train well enough?
From the get go out players used to bully him calling him "crawfs kiss arse" amongst other things

Grim pickings indeed.

Pittonet:

Looks like he knows how to tap a ball to a team mate and the cynic in me says that will never do at Hawthorn! In this case he does not fit at all with our NFI about palm work (oooh errr! ... sounds a bit rude ...) rucking model, thus he either gets injured like Bailey or is held down at BH until he leaves like Lowden. Just piss him off now and save the bother.

Tiea or whatever!:

I thought he must have been an Islander but clearly he has bogan parents who can not spell, personally I blame primary teachers and the moronic embezzling parasites in the state education department. He needs a lot of body development to ever play AFL viz. Puopolo, and as such is probably a delist asap before we waste the time a turn him into another Ross type. However, if he can build a body like Breust has then may become an emergency small defender and part time mid, but FD there is just so much competition for spots at the hawks that it is absurd. This list barley has any obvious weakness apart from Grimely and maybe TOB.

Howe:

Has a proper name but he was over aged playing TAC, WTF? Is a he really mid? If he really just is a running HBF then he appears to be superfluous to our already overflowing stocks of running HBFs, then that is a fail!

Hardirsty:

Spelling? Can't kick very well so what future is there in this one? Kicking is a very very hard skill to improve his age which is a pity as he has other fine qualities like speed, endurance and aggression

Miller-Lewis:

Clearly has the talent being ex-AIS but does he have the application and does he have the luck and dedication to remain relatively free of injury? Could be a very good player or another Peterson. Who knows how the cards will fall? Must be put under the tutelage of Burgers, the purrfect role model, ASAP.

Langford the third:

Yet to start puberty and looks like he has just turned 14, is a lovely kid but will he grow? At 189cm that is a nothing height unless you are a midfielder and that height is too short for a third tall in five years time. Plus has played so little footy over the last few years admittedly due to really bad injuries and at such a low level as well. Well DC cast an attentive eye over him and he is not fool, so they are punting on the character inherent in the family noblesse oblige, cf. the Franklin family "where me free piss card youse c**ts?" with their Housos style welfare entitlement mentality and generic amorality, and young Lachie's natural intelligence. That is a big punt but at a small cost which we having such a strong list can well afford.

May be the best if he can stay injury free and complete puberty. Certainly Will, with the ERNORMOUS amount he has had to overcome, is a fairly tale writ large. Anyway he is certainly set for a long year in the DS at the very least.

Reality Check:

We have an enormous number of players that could be reasonable AFL quality or better that are trying to get a game or two in by far the strongest 22 going around today.

The players that we need to introduce, further develop, or rehabilitate, assuming Frawley is a walk up start, this year alone include: Wx, JOR, Hartung, Shoey, TOB, Lithers, Anderson, Woody, Brand, Heatherly, Sicily, Willsmore , Webster (otherwise why promote him?). So quite a few will have no or very limited opportunities this year and next.

Of the young ones, how many will ever make it to 50 games at Hawthorn in such a competitive crowded side? Perhaps four or five of the following six is my best guess: Anderson, JOR, Hartung, Heatherly, Lithers & Sicily, and that is being optimistic.

So really what chance to the 2014 recruits have? SFA!

Of the lot the only one who is guaranteed development game time over the coming years is Pittonet, so there you have it the pick of the bunch is Pittonet by default as he is definitely will some senior game to prove himself.

Last edited:
Howe I see as a Birchall type, but we'll mold him into a big-bodied midfielder (that was what Graham Wright said). That's the whole reason we picked him-towards the latter end of the season, he went from half-back to midfield and was pretty darn solid in both his positions. He's an extremely good decision maker and is a great reader of the footy, not to mention an immaculate kick....
That is pretty much the same pathway we tried with Jordan Kelly. Kelly was pretty solid but generally lacked zing. The club obviously is keen on the big muscled mid model, Howe seems to have more zip than Kel. We gave Kelly plenty of time so I assume we will be in rush with Howe.

Grim pickings indeed.

Pittonet:

Looks like he knows how to tap a ball to a team mate and the cynic in me says that will never do at Hawthorn! In this case he does not fit at all with our NFI about palm work (oooh errr! ... sounds a bit rude ...) rucking model, thus he either gets injured like Bailey or is held down at BH until he leaves like Lowden. Just piss him off now and save the bother.

Tiea or whatever!:

I thought he must have been an Islander but clearly he has bogan parents who can not spell, personally I blame primary teachers and the moronic embezzling parasites in the state education department. He needs a lot of body development to ever play AFL viz. Puopolo, and as such is probably a delist asap before we waste the time a turn him into another Ross type. However, if he can build a body like Breust has then may become an emergency small defender and part time mid, but FD there is just so much competition for spots at the hawks that it is absurd. This list barley has any obvious weakness apart from Grimely and maybe TOB.

Howe:

Has a proper name but he was over aged playing TAC, WTF? Is a he really mid? If he really just is a running HBF then he appears to be superfluous to our already overflowing stocks of running HBFs, then that is a fail!

Hardirsty:

Spelling? Can't kick very well so what future is there in this one? Kicking is a very very hard skill to improve his age which is a pity as he has other fine qualities like speed, endurance and aggression

Miller-Lewis:

Clearly has the talent being ex-AIS but does he have the application and does he have the luck and dedication to remain relatively free of injury? Could be a very good player or another Peterson. Who knows how the cards will fall? Must be put under the tutelage of Burgers, the purrfect role model, ASAP.

Langford the third:

Yet to start puberty and looks like he has just turned 14, is a lovely kid but will he grow? At 189cm that is a nothing height unless you are a midfielder and that height is too short for a third tall in five years time. Plus has played so little footy over the last few years admittedly due to really bad injuries and at such a low level as well. Well DC cast an attentive eye over him and he is not fool, so they are punting on the character inherent in the family noblesse oblige, cf. the Franklin family "where me free piss card youse c**ts?" with their Housos style welfare entitlement mentality and generic amorality, and young Lachie's natural intelligence. That is a big punt but at a small cost which we having such a strong list can well afford.

May be the best if he can stay injury free and complete puberty. Certainly Will, with the ERNORMOUS amount he has had to overcome, is a fairly tale writ large. Anyway he is certainly set for a long year in the DS at the very least.

Reality Check:

We have an enormous number of players that could be reasonable AFL quality or better that are trying to get a game or two in by far the strongest 22 going around today.

The players that we need to introduce, further develop, or rehabilitate, assuming Frawley is a walk up start, this year alone include: Wx, JOR, Hartung, Shoey, TOB, Lithers, Anderson, Woody, Brand, Heatherly, Sicily, Willsmore , Webster (otherwise why promote him?). So quite a few will have no or very limited opportunities this year and next.

Of the young ones, how many will ever make it to 50 games at Hawthorn in such a competitive crowded side? Perhaps four or five of the following six is my best guess: Anderson, JOR, Hartung, Heatherly, Lithers & Sicily, and that is being optimistic.

Of the lot the only one who is guaranteed development game time over the coming years is Pittonet, so there you have it the pick of the bunch is Pittonet by default as he is definitely will some senior game to prove himself.
F***, that was depressing - I wonder what a GWS Membership costs?;)

You're spot on though - we have a bunch of talented guys like JOR, WX, Jedi, TO'B, Brand, Heatherley & Lithers etc who have between 2-5 years more development than our 2014 Draftees. Let's just be thankful that these 2014 guys get their development & learn what it is to be HFC (whatever Team it's on) whilst we still have guys like Hodge, Burgoyne & Mitchell in the Playing Group & on-field Leadership Group, rather than having to learn it from guys like mcveigh or whoever claims to be running colloingwood these days.

Who said Mitchell doesn't train well enough?
From the get go out players used to bully him calling him "crawfs kiss arse" amongst other things

It was one of the criticisms that I've heard randoms spout, of course then in retrospect everyone suddenly "always thought they were star material"

Just remember that Hill was the great kick on the run when he first started at HFC he has worked hard on it. Hardisty looks like an intense character. Does everything at 100% he is here to impress. Looks really good apart from his kicking but that can be improved we have a tgrack record of improving players stratts is nother who has improved and worked on his kicking

Grim pickings indeed.

Pittonet:

Tiea or whatever!:

Howe:

Hardirsty:

Miller-Lewis:

Langford the third:

Reality Check:

Too much building up Pittonet. Sure it's great to feel optimistic for the season ahead, just don't go overboard.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back