Make Your Case For BBL Expansion Team

Remove this Banner Ad

I'd like to see 10 teams in the future around 5 years from now and then 12 another decade or so after that.

Gold Coast- Could play out of Metricon Stadium which will be upgraded for the Commonwealth games, It's already a massive tourist destination in the summer and would create a rivalry with Brisbane, also Suns and Titans fans would most likely get behind it.

Geelong- Instant Melbourne Gellong rivalry. kardinia park has fantastic facilities with more upgrades on the way, there's a big enough population and locals would get behind it the same way they back the Cats.

Canberra would be next of the rank playing out of Manuka Oval with either:

Perth 2 (would play out of the new stadium or the WACA)
Newcastle (has the population but do they even have an oval Stadium big enough)
Far North Queensland (Townsville has the population, Cairns has beter facilities at Cazaly's Stadium)

With what playing pool?
The only possible expansion that doesn't lower playing standards is a Trans-Tasman competition and obviously that has pretty major issues in regards to New Zealand cricket

Why would there ever be a second Perth team?

With what playing pool?
The only possible expansion that doesn't lower playing standards is a Trans-Tasman competition and obviously that has pretty major issues in regards to New Zealand cricket

Why would there ever be a second Perth team?
Well for starters I said *maybe a second Perth team in *15 years time... I'm petty sure both the game and population will have grown quite a bit by then, it's pretty common in sporting comps to expand

We've added one shield team in 60 years. It would be insanity to to increase the BBL until more shield teams are added, partiucally as the 4 seasons thus far have more or less shown that the most of the guys who aren't regularly playing domestic cricket are struggling to make the jump (particularly in regards to batting)

We've added one shield team in 60 years. It would be insanity to to increase the BBL until more shield teams are added, partiucally as the 4 seasons thus far have more or less shown that the most of the guys who aren't regularly playing domestic cricket are struggling to make the jump (particularly in regards to batting)
So add the ACT to the Shield? Or NT?

A second Perth team still makes no sense
yeah that's why I put them in the maybe pile, in all honest I don't really think any of those areas (Perth 2, Newcastle, FNQ) would work that well which is why I didn't specifically nominate any of them.
I wouldn't say it makes "no sense" though. The new stadium will be 12 years old by 2030, the BBL and Perths population will have both grown.

yeah that's why I put them in the maybe pile, in all honest I don't really think any of those areas (Perth 2, Newcastle, FNQ) would work that well which is why I didn't specifically nominate any of them.
I wouldn't say it makes "no sense" though. The new stadium will be 12 years old by 2030, the BBL and Perths population will have both grown.

Yeah but anyone interested would support Perth

In the last year or so they've split NSW into two teams for the underage rep cricket. NSW City and NSW Country/ACT. Would this be a viable option for an extra shield team? There's an article floating around somewhere about it...

The people who continually bring up the NT in these sort of threads do realise it's their cricket off-season yeah?

Just play in Alice Springs, but I think an NT team is a fair way off. Would like to see an ACT shield side in the near future, my question would be would the likes of Jason Behrendorff, Nathan Lyon and Ryan Carters return home? In Lyon and Carters instance this would be their 3rd team in fairly short careers.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The people who continually bring up the NT in these sort of threads do realise it's their cricket off-season yeah?

There was a suggestion of a North Queensland team on the first page. Townsville gets 400mm of rain over Dec/Jan, Cairns gets closer to 600. I see no potential issues at all...

I think the BBL is fine the way it is. Two teams in Melbourne with a CBD ground each, two in Sydney with an effective E/W split and one in each of the state capitals. All the test venues have a team plus Etihad Stadium and ANZ Stadium. It's not like we left out Tassie or anything.

Canberra doesn't need a team. They had one in the late 90s in the Mercantile Mutual Cup. No one gave a s**t and they faded away. There are less than 400,000 people in the ACT and a good portion of them aren't even there a lot of the time. The biggest population centres without teams are Gold Coast and Newcastle, but we don't desperately need teams there either. Geelong doesn't need a team nor does Perth need a second one.

There was a suggestion of a North Queensland team on the first page. Townsville gets 400mm of rain over Dec/Jan, Cairns gets closer to 600. I see no potential issues at all...

I think the BBL is fine the way it is. Two teams in Melbourne with a CBD ground each, two in Sydney with an effective E/W split and one in each of the state capitals. All the test venues have a team plus Etihad Stadium and ANZ Stadium. It's not like we left out Tassie or anything.

Canberra doesn't need a team. They had one in the late 90s in the Mercantile Mutual Cup. No one gave a s**t and they faded away. There are less than 400,000 people in the ACT and a good portion of them aren't even there a lot of the time. The biggest population centres without teams are Gold Coast and Newcastle, but we don't desperately need teams there either. Geelong doesn't need a team nor does Perth need a second one.

I agree with most of what your saying, but why Newcastle over Geelong? Geelong certainly isn't apart of Melbourne, There's a perfect stadium for cricket already there which is having it's capacity upgraded in the very near future and the locals have proven they can support a team in a national competition.

Home crowd averages: 36,650 Cats > 18,821 Knights
Stadium: 34,074 Kardinia Park > 20,000 Newcastle, No.1 Sports Ground (Aussie Rules/Cricket) That's the actual name of the stadium by the way...

I agree with most of what your saying, but why Newcastle over Geelong? Geelong certainly isn't apart of Melbourne, There's a perfect stadium for cricket already there which is having it's capacity upgraded in the very near future and the locals have proven they can support a team in a national competition.

Home crowd averages: 36,650 Cats > 18,821 Knights
Stadium: 34,074 Kardinia Park > 20,000 Newcastle, No.1 Sports Ground (Aussie Rules/Cricket) That's the actual name of the stadium by the way...

Newcastle has like 300,000 more people than Geelong

Geelong is a city of 180,000 that is an hour away from a city with two teams.

Newcastle is a city of 550,000 that is two hours away from a city with two teams.

Geelong's highest crowd at Kardinia Park in 2014 was 27,400. Newcastle's 26,400.

I'd also argue there is a bigger culture of travelling to Melbourne to watch sport from Geelong than there is from Newcastle to Sydney. I mean Geelong play 4 home games a year in Melbourne. Sure they get the boost from opposition supporters but plenty of their own make the trip up.

Geelong is a city of 180,000 that is an hour away from a city with two teams.

Newcastle is a city of 550,000 that is two hours away from a city with two teams.

Geelong's highest crowd at Kardinia Park in 2014 was 27,400. Newcastle's 26,400.

I'd also argue there is a bigger culture of travelling to Melbourne to watch sport from Geelong than there is from Newcastle to Sydney. I mean Geelong play 4 home games a year in Melbourne. Sure they get the boost from opposition supporters but plenty of their own make the trip up.
Geelong region has around 250,000-300,000 people, great stadium that is mostly unused over summer, I think the city needs a sporting side to follow over summer. The a-league crowd a few weeks ago was well over 20,000 on a 40 degree day, there is definitely potential for Geelong to host a BBL team in the future

Geelong region has around 250,000-300,000 people, great stadium that is mostly unused over summer, I think the city needs a sporting side to follow over summer. The a-league crowd a few weeks ago was well over 20,000 on a 40 degree day, there is definitely potential for Geelong to host a BBL team in the future

The Hunter Region is home to 600,000+.

The Stars/Renegades should play a game or two at Kardinia Park to see what the level of interest is down there. 20,000 for an A-League game is great, but a Geelong A-League side would struggle to average 10,000 per game so it's all about context.

Newcastle is the obvious choice for me. I reckon they'd love to have their own team in their own town. separate to to Sydney with their own local identity.

I'd like to see these changes:

Phase 1:
- Rename/rebrand the Thunder as Western Sydney Thunder

Phase 2:
- Canberra given a team
- Gold Coast given a team

Phase 3:
- Geelong given a team
- Newcastle given a team

So eventually (in 5-10 years time) the league would look like:
1. Adelaide Strikers
2. Brisbane Heat
3. Canberra
4. Geelong
5. Gold Coast
6. Hobart Hurricanes
7. Melbourne Renegades
8. Melbourne Stars
9. Newcastle
10. Perth Scorchers
11. Sydney Sixers
12. Western Sydney Thunder

I'd like to see these changes:

Phase 1:
- Rename/rebrand the Thunder as Western Sydney Thunder

Phase 2:
- Canberra given a team
- Gold Coast given a team

Phase 3:
- Geelong given a team
- Newcastle given a team

So eventually (in 5-10 years time) the league would look like:
1. Adelaide Strikers
2. Brisbane Heat
3. Canberra
4. Geelong
5. Gold Coast
6. Hobart Hurricanes
7. Melbourne Renegades
8. Melbourne Stars
9. Newcastle
10. Perth Scorchers
11. Sydney Sixers
12. Western Sydney Thunder

In 5-10 years time?

Going to be a pretty low standard

Where the hell are we going to get the players to fill 12 teams?

The number of teams is pretty much perfect now. I mean, even the IPL is only 8 teams and they have a much larger population from which to source talent as well as a higher availability for quality international players.

If expansion is to take place, then overseas recruits must be at least 3. I'm not big on denying expansion due to a diluted talent pool. Maybe increased opportunity is something that may entice more kids to choose cricket over football codes. Plus, if expansion does come, chances are a draft accompanies it...

As for Futures League expansion, for the good of world cricket, PNG should be first in

Remove this Banner Ad

Back