NarniMagic

Premiership Player
Aug 8, 2010
Geelong
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Chelsea
New true crime doco series on Netflix about Steven Avery, a man who in 1985 was prosecuted for a rape that 18 years later was proven to be not him. Then two years later Avery is accused of yet another crime, murder. The show is basically a documentary about the absurd corruption in the United States police and how they can (and do) manipulate the system in order to imprison an innocent man.

Just finished it. Still unclear whether he killed Teresa or not. My gut says yes for some reason, but no way could I have convicted him beyond reasonable doubt. So much dodgy s**t went on there with the law enforcement.

Gutted for Brendan.

Just finished it. Still unclear whether he killed Teresa or not. My gut says yes for some reason, but no way could I have convicted him beyond reasonable doubt. So much dodgy s**t went on there with the law enforcement.

Gutted for Brendan.

I'd read that the makers of the doc had ommitted evidence form the show such as her DNA/Blood on bullets found in the garage. Apparently it didn't suit the end product.

I've only watched the first episode but not really liking it. Seems to be far too biased towards Avery.

Don't have a problem with that. Sometimes a strong bias needs to be set to get heard of over the vitriol of the counter argument in the media. Like the extreme parameters need to be established before working towards a reasoned middle ground.

Ultimately this isn't a story of guilt but of legal fairness and accountability.

Last edited:
That was in the show though?
I think the bits the filmmakers left out that the total knob jockey Kratz complained about were:

1. That the 22 bullet in the garage belonged to a gun of Steven's;
2. That a manager at the auto magazine testified that Steven asked for Teresa to do the shot.

The second part is of some interest, although who knows if he was just being folksy to some degree (ie. who wouldn't want the cute 25 year old chick taking the pictures?!).

The first part is of much less relevance without any blood and with a conveniently compromised DNA test.

Almost certainly done by someone living on the car yard in my view (quite possibly Steven), but with so many alternative suspects, the convenience in which the way the way the evidence was found to pin Steven was quite literally unbelievable.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fascinating viewing & while I cant be sure of Steven's innocence, there was enough shown to convince me that police planted they key & manipulated dna evidence, & obviously most of the jury also thought that way with a pre deliberations count of (iirc) 7 innocent, 3 guilty, 2 undecided. What was there, 7 days of forensic teams searching the property & they dont find the key in the home they believed the killing took place?? yeah, nah. And then there's the tampered with blood vial, deleted phone messages, magic bullet etc etc etc. All i can think is there must have been a couple of very persuasive individuals on that jury panel.

Got a feeling this one aint over yet.

Oh & if I never hear that campaigner Kratz's voice again, it will be too soon. What a pair he & that Kachinsky make, poor Brendan was doomed from the start.

Last edited:
http://www.yelp.com/biz/kratz-law-firm-west-bend

whp3g.jpg

think i'm 6 or so episodes into this and was shocked at kachinsky's imcompetence and indifference with respect to circumstances resulting in dassey's confession and his subsequent representation.

also surprised and impressed that strang and buting did what they did on a $400k USD budget. they were both very impressive.

i'm also not convinced of steven's innocence, but i think there was, on the material put before us in the show (which admittedly may be presented in an avery sympathetic manner) enough for an acquittal.

pretty captivating television.

Fascinating viewing & while I cant be sure of Steven's innocence, there was enough shown to convince me that police planted they key & manipulated dna evidence, & obviously most of the jury also thought that way with a pre deliberations count of (iirc) 7 innocent, 3 guilty, 2 undecided. What was there, 7 days of forensic teams searching the property & they dont find the key in the home they believed the killing took place?? yeah, nah. And then there's the tampered with blood vial, deleted phone messages, magic bullet etc etc etc. All i can think is there must have been a couple of very persuasive individuals on that jury panel.

Got a feeling this one aint over yet.

Oh & if I never hear that campaigner Kratz's voice again, it will be too soon. What a pair he & that Kachinsky make, poor Brendan was doomed from the start.
might be an idea to spoiler our comments/reviews as to not ruin the experience for others

The timing of the murder just seemed way too coincidental for me. Is Avery really going to murder someone at a time he is filing a lawsuit potentially worth 36 million dollars? He doesn't appear to be an idiot.

The fact he is learning law in jail to help fight his own case sort of seems a little over the top if deep down he knows he's guilty.

Last edited:
Another interesting article that highlights some evidence we didn't hear about in the doco:

http://www.pajiba.com/netflix_movie...-evidence-making-a-murderer-didnt-present.php
>The Documentary mentioned him setting a cat on fire I'm not sure going into specific details regarding pouring accelerant on the cat makes a lot of difference
>The fact Avery had purchased products similar to what Brendan drew in his confession and Brendan mentioned him cutting the battery wire to the Rav 4 adds zero credibility to the confession
>Regarding the non blood DNA evidence on the hood latch. They waited months, until after Brendan's interrogation, to swab the latch of car with a disconnected battery. This was the same type of sweat DNA conveniently found on the key found in Avery's trailer, also if there's sweat on the hood latch where are his fingerprints? Seems like compromised evidence to me.
>The fact they found a bullet from Avery's gun in his shed is hardly surprising, the compromised DNA test is the more telling factor in this evidence

The timing of the murder just seemed way too coincidental for me. Is Avery really going to murder someone at a time he is filing a lawsuit potentially worth 36 million dollars? He doesn't appear to be an idiot.

The fact he is learning law in jail to help fight his own case sort of seems a little over the top if deep down he knows he's guilty.

When watching at the time I thought maybe Steven was delusional enough to think himself untouchable as he's in press conference's with the state Governor, getting support from all over the place, probably being assured by his lawyers the lawsuit is a slam dunk, so thinks there's no way the Manitowoc Police will ever go near him again & that was his '* you' to them.

Last edited:

He had an IQ of 70 - but I know what you mean.

I can't believe they didn't look into Bobby Dassey and Scott Taldych more closely, after what we heard from the stand (alibied for each other - but bus driver testimony threw out their timeline). I thought for sure after episode 6 or so that this was where it was all heading.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back