Making up for lost time/overs in a Day/Night Test

Remove this Banner Ad

Jan 26, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Fremantle
Let's say that the first two sessions of the first day in Adelaide gets rained out. How do they make up the time?

Light's certainly not going to be an issue in the day night match because once the sun is down it's all the same and in theory we're told that it's sufficient for playing cricket.

So how will it be handled?

Theoretically they could play all night. But practically, they can't have Adelaide Oval workers and officials being forced to stay until the early hours of the morning, so it's likely there'll be some arbitrary cut off time (probably 10pm or 10:30pm).

I doubt lights will stay on much after 10 pm.
From memory as a little kid I remember at night seeing the Supertests on channel 9 around 1979.
Basically they were 4 days long of 7 and a half hours to make up 30 hours for the match of play.
The first two day sessions of play would be normal two hours each and the night session would be three and a half hours, just like the night sessions in one day matches. I imagine they had two drinks breaks in that long final session and the longest meal break for the day would have been the tea break.
I think the night session went from 6-30 pm to 10 pm in those matches and the tea break probably 5-40 to 6-30 pm.

I'm not sure of the sessions for this day night Test in Adelaide.
Would be interested to look up scores from those night sessions of the Supertests and see how the batsmen fared under lights.

Had a gander at scores from 1978-79 season of World Series Cricket.
First Supertest was at Waverley Park

WSC Australia v WSC World XI
World Series Cricket Supertests 1978/79
Venue VFL Park, Melbourne on 8th, 9th, 10th, 11th December 1978 (4-day match) (day/night)
Toss WSC World XI won the toss and decided to bat

Day One

WSC World XI first innings Runs Balls Mins 4s 6s
Majid Khan b Lillee 7 25 31 1 -
DL Amiss c Marsh b Gilmour 0 1 4 - -
Zaheer Abbas run out (Davis->Marsh) 14 45 51 1 -
Javed Miandad b Bright 59 217 229 5 -
*Asif Iqbal c Gilmour b Lillee 8 30 22 1 -
MJ Procter c Marsh b Walker 4 35 35 - -
CEB Rice b Gilmour 41 143 168 1 -
Imran Khan c GS Chappell b Gilmour 24 48 63 2 -
+APE Knott b Lillee 11 45 43 - -
GS le Roux lbw b Lillee 0 4 3 - -
DL Underwood not out 1 6 8 - -
Extras (5 lb, 1 nb) 6
Total (all out, 376 minutes, 99.4 overs) 175
Fall of wickets:
1-2 (Amiss), 2-11 (Majid Khan), 3-24 (Zaheer Abbas), 4-42 (Asif Iqbal), 5-53 (Procter), 6-138 (Javed Miandad), 7-138 (Rice), 8-169 (Knott), 9-169 (Imran Khan), 10-175 (le Roux, 99.4 ov)
WSC Australia bowling Overs Mdns Runs Wkts Wides No-Balls
Lillee 32.4 13 51 4 - -
Gilmour 21 8 28 3 - -
Walker 23 5 55 1 - -
Bright 20 9 28 1 - -
Hookes 3 0 7 0 - -

So Lillee 4 for 51 and Gary Gilmour 3 for 28.
World XI were not even scoring two an over.
At close of play on day one the Australians not scoring at any better rate
WSC Australia (1) 19/1 (Laird 6*, Bright 5*; 16 overs)

Ray Bright must have literally been the night watchman
after Kepler Wessels dismissed for 8 caught behind by Alan Knott against South African Mike Proctor.

It seems over 115 overs bowled in the days play

Had a gander at scores from 1978-79 season of World Series Cricket.
First Supertest was at Waverley Park

WSC Australia v WSC World XI
World Series Cricket Supertests 1978/79
Venue VFL Park, Melbourne on 8th, 9th, 10th, 11th December 1978 (4-day match) (day/night)
Toss WSC World XI won the toss and decided to bat

Day One

WSC World XI first innings Runs Balls Mins 4s 6s
Majid Khan b Lillee 7 25 31 1 -
DL Amiss c Marsh b Gilmour 0 1 4 - -
Zaheer Abbas run out (Davis->Marsh) 14 45 51 1 -
Javed Miandad b Bright 59 217 229 5 -
*Asif Iqbal c Gilmour b Lillee 8 30 22 1 -
MJ Procter c Marsh b Walker 4 35 35 - -
CEB Rice b Gilmour 41 143 168 1 -
Imran Khan c GS Chappell b Gilmour 24 48 63 2 -
+APE Knott b Lillee 11 45 43 - -
GS le Roux lbw b Lillee 0 4 3 - -
DL Underwood not out 1 6 8 - -
Extras (5 lb, 1 nb) 6
Total (all out, 376 minutes, 99.4 overs) 175
Fall of wickets:
1-2 (Amiss), 2-11 (Majid Khan), 3-24 (Zaheer Abbas), 4-42 (Asif Iqbal), 5-53 (Procter), 6-138 (Javed Miandad), 7-138 (Rice), 8-169 (Knott), 9-169 (Imran Khan), 10-175 (le Roux, 99.4 ov)
WSC Australia bowling Overs Mdns Runs Wkts Wides No-Balls
Lillee 32.4 13 51 4 - -
Gilmour 21 8 28 3 - -
Walker 23 5 55 1 - -
Bright 20 9 28 1 - -
Hookes 3 0 7 0 - -

So Lillee 4 for 51 and Gary Gilmour 3 for 28.
World XI were not even scoring two an over.
At close of play on day one the Australians not scoring at any better rate
WSC Australia (1) 19/1 (Laird 6*, Bright 5*; 16 overs)

Ray Bright must have literally been the night watchman
after Kepler Wessels dismissed for 8 caught behind by Alan Knott against South African Mike Proctor.

It seems over 115 overs bowled in the days play

I think you'll find the Supertests were played over 4 days instead of 5, and I think they played either 7 or 7.5 hour days. It's still a better over rate than we see these days. As for the low scoring, when the Supertests began, they had white clothing and white balls. The white ball then was an inferior product and I've heard David Hookes tell stories of Kerry Packer and his cohorts painting the balls white and sending them out again for re-use.

Batting was difficult in World Series Days as the bowling attacks were so concentrated with world quality bowling, and the pitches were always a little dubious as drop in pitches were a very new concept.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It will be listed in the playing conditions what the cut off times are - there are usually limits as to what times the lights must be switched off due to interference with households.
In North Adelaide that is as soon as the sun goes down. (In joke for everyone from Adelaide)

In North Adelaide that is as soon as the sun goes down. (In joke for everyone from Adelaide)

Replace North Adelaide with Subiaco and you've got the Perth equivalent.

Once footy goes, the only decent thing Subiaco will have going for it is the Farmer's Markets and it's only a matter of time before someone says 'No' to that as well.

Replace North Adelaide with Subiaco and you've got the Perth equivalent.

Once footy goes, the only decent thing Subiaco will have going for it is the Farmer's Markets and it's only a matter of time before someone says 'No' to that as well.

Doesn't Subi have good cafe's and pubs?

and no they don't. Subi council has made sure they didn't approve anything that would improve the area's night life.
since you know, the average age in subi is about 85.
Younger than I expected.

Doesn't Subi have good cafe's and pubs?

Not really.

The main streets in Subi have been dying in the arse for a while due in large part due to ridiculous leasing costs for retail/commercial space.

Subiaco has the Subi Hotel and Vic Hotel as the two big pubs, a smaller Irish pub and a couple of bars/clubs. It's really nothing to write home about.

I used to go out there a bit when I lived there (left 2009) but I reckon I've been out since a handful of times at most save for queuing up for a "quick" beer before an Eagles game. If I had a few hours to kill before an Eagles game these days I'd more likely stop in the city then go straight to the ground for the game.

I think you'll find the Supertests were played over 4 days instead of 5, and I think they played either 7 or 7.5 hour days.

Think you missed my earlier post.

I doubt lights will stay on much after 10 pm.
From memory as a little kid I remember at night seeing the Supertests on channel 9 around 1979.
Basically they were 4 days long of 7 and a half hours to make up 30 hours for the match of play.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back