male sports keeping female affiliates afloat.

Remove this Banner Ad

slimdusty4

Club Legend
Dec 3, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
ManU, UNC, Knicks, NYRangers, Yanks
today, numerous news centres are running with a story about how the pay gap between the socceroos and the matildas is unfair.

and I'm getting really tired of this argument, i posted the following on social media:
"To see channel 7 and channel 9 both post pieces claiming “the Matilda’s are being ripped off” is laughable, when as billion dollar television networks, they have the option to buck the trend, and spend money on telecast rights for women’s professional sports, but choose not to, or worse, low ball the industry because it isn’t the high drawcard viewing they are searching for. funnily enough, television rights deals make up a huge percentage of revenue and income for professional sports.

The Westfield Matilda’s have 6 ‘official partners’, (Nike, Hyundai, Westfield, NAB, Telstra, and Qantas), coincidentally, all six of these sponsors, also sponsor the Socceroo’s, (whilst making up part of the 13 official partners they have).

To put this into perspective, the Matilda’s have less than half the amount of official partners as the Socceroo’s, and each of the 6 Matilda's partners, is first and foremost a Socceroo's partner.
No Socceroo's money means no Matilda money.... damn those god awful, overpaid Socceroo's.

Why should you have to compensate someone for something that isn't feasible? there isn't the same market for women's sports in terms of the dollars, notoriety, and viewership, as is accustomed to male sports, which is the complete reverse in the modelling industry, but nobody seems to have an issue with that.

Should the governing bodies, and male athletes who bring in these viewers and dollars have to compromise their wage, and their endorsements to keep the “equality in sports” debate out of the paper?

These types of jobs are not based on whether you are a man or a woman, you're employed and remunerated on the ability to perform, bring in money, viewers, sponsorship dollars, and to raise the profile of your industry/product in a positive manner.

If people think that female tennis players, soccer players, or basketballers as a whole, are doing this to the same standard, or better than their male counterparts, i think they need to seriously reassess their definitions of equality and sexism.

At the end of the day, you give the people what they want, and whether you like it or not, what the majority want, is to watch the Socceroo’s before the Matilda’s, the NBA, not the WNBA, the mens singles final at Wimbledon, which ironically is played in front of a larger audience, for the same amount of money as the females, who aren’t on the court for half as long, but hey thats none of my business.

what people forget is that most of these sporting industries have been ‘chopping out’ their female counterparts for years, to make sure these sports are kept afloat at a professional level.

if this were any other business, this type of argument would be laughed at. why?
if you’re contribution to the industry, in all levels, doesn’t reflect that of your counterpart (male or female), why should you receive the same compensation?

because equality? because it isn’t fair? please, spare me.

go and ask your boss why the person who’s bringing in more money, notoriety, and more clients than you, has a bigger office, and see if he can keep a straight face."

when you see so many sports, like the AFL, the NBA, FIFA, and the FFA, giving so much back to grassroots, and helping their female counterparts, i get really frustrated. At what point is it the fault of the managers of these female/lower level sports, that are run by men AND women, is the product not good enough, is the marketing to blame, the networks, the newspapers?

do you buy into the fact that its men v women, or that this is simply fair, and that as a whole, mens sports and its pay differences to women sports are justified?

Modern day sensitive society would have a ball with this topic
its been a hot bed all day. but i feel as though, as i said, until they project the same profits, bums on seats, revenue, then unfortunately, they don't deserve to make the same amounts of money.

So sick of these debates. People just don't have interest in watching female sport. Call me sexist but numbers dont lie.
The natural rebuttal to this is, would people watch it if it did have the same air time and exposure?

The natural rebuttal to this is, would people watch it if it did have the same air time and exposure?

No, they wouldn't.

People watch sports to see the best players play each other. Women are not the best players. If they were, they'd be competing against the men. But there isn't a single sport in which they do.

Even Billie Jean King was only able to beat a millionaire loudmouth amateur. She would have no hope of defeating even a journeyman male professional of her era. That's biology.

The best players of every sport are men, which is why mens' sports get all the exposure.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree with everything here, but to be fair it is the news outlets complaining about this not the girls themselves.

Sport as a job is about entertainment. Male badminton players have to hold down jobs as well as play their sport. If the dollars aren't there the dollars aren't there and should not be subsidised by male leagues or government.

Again, haven't heard one actual player complain, go Matilda's.

Every sport except netball, probably.

Sad but true.
Tennis pays its female athletes equally.
Golf gets pretty good cash and coverage.
Beyond that...it's difficult.

I have faith that an on-field AFL Women's product will be pretty good. We've had three great games between the Demons and Dogs' drafted sides with a fourth in a few weeks. The league shouldn't overreach - the comp should be, at most, a 12-team competition, with 4-6 interstate sides. Say 6- Melbourne and 5-6 interstate, thus:

Melbourne (due to setting up the women's game)
Bulldogs (as 2nd participant in women's game)
Collingwood (biggest club)
Richmond (huge support base)
Hawthorn (most recent successful club)
Geelong (regional difference flavour)
Adelaide (strong backing)
Port (2nd SA for rivalry)
West Coast (strong backing)
Freo (strong backing, 2nd WA)
Sydney (strong recent club)
And one of:
Essendon (remaining big Melbourne club)
Brisbane (QLD reasons)

Against the Lions is their already-potent off-field problems. Essendon against is the stain from ASADA.

12 teams, 22 game season VFL-style, top 6 play finals with the same format as the A-League. Link them up as either curtain raisers or have linked memberships as many sides do with the VFL.

today, numerous news centres are running with a story about how the pay gap between the socceroos and the matildas is unfair.

and I'm getting really tired of this argument, i posted the following on social media:
"To see channel 7 and channel 9 both post pieces claiming “the Matilda’s are being ripped off” is laughable, when as billion dollar television networks, they have the option to buck the trend, and spend money on telecast rights for women’s professional sports, but choose not to, or worse, low ball the industry because it isn’t the high drawcard viewing they are searching for. funnily enough, television rights deals make up a huge percentage of revenue and income for professional sports.

The Westfield Matilda’s have 6 ‘official partners’, (Nike, Hyundai, Westfield, NAB, Telstra, and Qantas), coincidentally, all six of these sponsors, also sponsor the Socceroo’s, (whilst making up part of the 13 official partners they have).

To put this into perspective, the Matilda’s have less than half the amount of official partners as the Socceroo’s, and each of the 6 Matilda's partners, is first and foremost a Socceroo's partner.
No Socceroo's money means no Matilda money.... damn those god awful, overpaid Socceroo's.

Why should you have to compensate someone for something that isn't feasible? there isn't the same market for women's sports in terms of the dollars, notoriety, and viewership, as is accustomed to male sports, which is the complete reverse in the modelling industry, but nobody seems to have an issue with that.

Should the governing bodies, and male athletes who bring in these viewers and dollars have to compromise their wage, and their endorsements to keep the “equality in sports” debate out of the paper?

These types of jobs are not based on whether you are a man or a woman, you're employed and remunerated on the ability to perform, bring in money, viewers, sponsorship dollars, and to raise the profile of your industry/product in a positive manner.

If people think that female tennis players, soccer players, or basketballers as a whole, are doing this to the same standard, or better than their male counterparts, i think they need to seriously reassess their definitions of equality and sexism.

At the end of the day, you give the people what they want, and whether you like it or not, what the majority want, is to watch the Socceroo’s before the Matilda’s, the NBA, not the WNBA, the mens singles final at Wimbledon, which ironically is played in front of a larger audience, for the same amount of money as the females, who aren’t on the court for half as long, but hey thats none of my business.

what people forget is that most of these sporting industries have been ‘chopping out’ their female counterparts for years, to make sure these sports are kept afloat at a professional level.

if this were any other business, this type of argument would be laughed at. why?
if you’re contribution to the industry, in all levels, doesn’t reflect that of your counterpart (male or female), why should you receive the same compensation?

because equality? because it isn’t fair? please, spare me.

go and ask your boss why the person who’s bringing in more money, notoriety, and more clients than you, has a bigger office, and see if he can keep a straight face."

when you see so many sports, like the AFL, the NBA, FIFA, and the FFA, giving so much back to grassroots, and helping their female counterparts, i get really frustrated. At what point is it the fault of the managers of these female/lower level sports, that are run by men AND women, is the product not good enough, is the marketing to blame, the networks, the newspapers?

do you buy into the fact that its men v women, or that this is simply fair, and that as a whole, mens sports and its pay differences to women sports are justified?

Oh Hai Rita Panahi.

I couldn't disagree more with the premise of your post, it beggars belief that some blokes can't accept that many women are pro athletes, and are darn good at it.

Its your choice to watch it or not, but to dismiss their product/competitive efforts and achievements just because they are women, is just idiotic.

FWIW I reckon Serena Williams would beat the crap out of Bernard Tomic, and just about all the male players outside the top five, on the world's professional tennis circuit.

Oh Hai Rita Panahi.

I couldn't disagree more with the premise of your post, it beggars belief that some blokes can't accept that many women are pro athletes, and are darn good at it.

Its your choice to watch it or not, but to dismiss their product/competitive efforts and achievements just because they are women, is just idiotic.

FWIW I reckon Serena Williams would beat the crap out of Bernard Tomic, and just about all the male players outside the top five, on the world's professional tennis circuit.

the premise of my post is that some professional women's sports don't put bums on chairs, bring in dollars, or viewers on television, whether thats mens equestrian or the WNBL, i don't care, just because someone in the same industry is making more money, doesn't mean you are entitled to, just because of gender.

oh, and FYI, if the product was as good, they'd be getting the money, sponsors, screen time.

the premise of my post is that some professional women's sports don't put bums on chairs, bring in dollars, or viewers on television, whether thats mens equestrian or the WNBL, i don't care, just because someone in the same industry is making more money, doesn't mean you are entitled to, just because of gender.

oh, and FYI, if the product was as good, they'd be getting the money, sponsors, screen time.
100 years of male dominance in the sporting arena, coupled with restrictions on what women are still allowed to do, are the reason for this.

Tennis pays its female athletes equally.
Golf gets pretty good cash and coverage.
Beyond that...it's difficult.

I have faith that an on-field AFL Women's product will be pretty good. We've had three great games between the Demons and Dogs' drafted sides with a fourth in a few weeks. The league shouldn't overreach - the comp should be, at most, a 12-team competition, with 4-6 interstate sides. Say 6- Melbourne and 5-6 interstate, thus:

Melbourne (due to setting up the women's game)
Bulldogs (as 2nd participant in women's game)
Collingwood (biggest club)
Richmond (huge support base)
Hawthorn (most recent successful club)
Geelong (regional difference flavour)
Adelaide (strong backing)
Port (2nd SA for rivalry)
West Coast (strong backing)
Freo (strong backing, 2nd WA)
Sydney (strong recent club)
And one of:
Essendon (remaining big Melbourne club)
Brisbane (QLD reasons)

Against the Lions is their already-potent off-field problems. Essendon against is the stain from ASADA.

12 teams, 22 game season VFL-style, top 6 play finals with the same format as the A-League. Link them up as either curtain raisers or have linked memberships as many sides do with the VFL.

I'd actually rather see national netball teams aligned with AFL teams like they do at a local level. I notice that the Sydney Swifts have QBE Sydney Swans and the Swans emblem on their uniforms.

No. The same argument could be applied to D grade ammos - and it would be just as ludicrous.

Oh Hai Rita Panahi.

You don't reckon if this was even remotely true then Williams would be entering men's tournaments? You're suggesting that Williams would beat Rafael Nadal (currently ranked 10).

The problem isn't that they're women. It's that the quality is lower. It's the same reason why there is much less interest in the WAFL, SANFL and VFL than the AFL.

100 years of male dominance in the sporting arena, coupled with restrictions on what women are still allowed to do, are the reason for this.
there are no restrictions on what they can do in australia, the uk, america, belgium, france, canada, new zealand...
you get my point.

should they just cave "oh look, you can't deliver what steve smith, mitchell johnson, and tim cahill can, so we're going to give you the extra money, even though its not financially sustainable, or responsible, in terms of running our business".

Oh Hai Rita Panahi.

This is factually incorrect.

There's a well known story how serena and Venus both lost to a male journeyman who was about 150th, who'd had a few beers and beat both quite easily.

So no, I'm sorry, Serena would not beat anyone outside the top 5.

Edit: here's the link http://observer.theguardian.com/osm/story/0,,543962,00.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

there are no restrictions on what they can do in australia, the uk, america, belgium, france, canada, new zealand...
you get my point.

should they just cave "oh look, you can't deliver what steve smith, mitchell johnson, and tim cahill can, so we're going to give you the extra money, even though its not financially sustainable, or responsible, in terms of running our business".
There were 50 years ago. Women's sports weren't proper in society for decades.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back