Mallee FL - Season 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bettingadvisor

Debutant
Apr 13, 2013
AFL Club
Richmond
To think when the Northern Mallee & the Southern Mallee merged leagues for the 1997 season the comp looked like this:

Berriwillock/Culgoa
Beulah
Brim
Hopetoun
Jeparit Rainbow
Manangtang
Nulawill
Ouyen United
Sea Lake/Nandaly
Walpeup/Underbool
Woomelang/Lascelles
Yaapeet

Beulah
Hopetoun
Jeparit/Rainbow
Ouyen United
Sea Lake Nandaly Tigers
Walpeup/Underbool
Woomelang/Lascelles

2015??

Kind of depressing really & I pose the question: If Beulah were to go to North Central, Ouyen to Sunraysia & Sea Lake go to Central Murray thus dispanding the league, where does that leave Walpeup/Underbool? They're kind of in no mans land

I'm pretty sure Jeparit & Rainbow were still separate identities then

Andyt33

Senior List
Feb 25, 2007
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Miami Dolphins, Yarrawonga Pigeons
No Jeparit /rainbow merged in 1996 but the southern mallee /Northern Malle merger must've ween a couple of years earlier can someone confirm???

Southern and Northern Mallee Merged end 0f 1996 same year as Jeparit and Rainbow Merged

Bettingadvisor

Debutant
Apr 13, 2013
AFL Club
Richmond
Yes & thus took our then bulldogs jumpers hence why W/U wear the blue & white verticals
I just googled it cause I was sure it was different years....... Jeparit Rainbow Football club was formed in November 1995 then in 1997 the Mallee League was formed

Andyt33

Senior List
Feb 25, 2007
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Yes & thus took our then bulldogs jumpers hence why W/U wear the blue & white verticals
it happens unfortunally happend here in Central Highlands when former lexton plains club skipton had to change their strip as it was the same as current CHFL CLub Bungaree had the same strip same with Carngham linton and Creswick

Archie Pelago

Senior List
Oct 5, 2007
Geelong
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
'49ers
Has an interleague squad been named for the Mallee League?
I guess I'll just answer my own question.

Mallee interleague squad

Beulah: Lachie Foott, Dennis Redden, Jason Turnbull, Shaun Monohan, Andrew Hughes, Fabian Dorbolo, Sam Martin, Brock Orval, Tim D’arcy, Tyler Lehmann.

Jeparit-Rainbow: Elliott Bath, Luke Werner, Trevor Johnson.

Hopetoun: Liam Price, Zac Robins, Lucas Cook, Coleman Schache, Haydn Drew.

Ouyen United: Brad Vallance, Marc Hahnel, Laurie Angwin, Jerry Wilson, Ben Mole.

Sea Lake-Nandaly Tigers: Simon Weekley, Cliff Ryan, Lachlan Gilbert, Luke Martin, Matthew Elliott, Jason Collins, Darcy Ryan, Colin Durie, Wes Harrison.

Walpeup-Underbool: Jeremy Brown, David Piasente, Ryan Stacey, Simon Brown.

Woomelang-Lascelles: Corey Kelly, Mark Charleston, Jayden Lonergan, Jack Shannahan, Brodie Adcock, Anthony Foott.

Langdon Alger

Draftee
Aug 24, 2013
AFL Club
Richmond
Down to only six clubs next season. One more club gone and the league might fold.

Any truth in the rumour Tooleybuc-Manangatang are considering a transfer to Mallee FL?
If that were to happen, I think it would be disastrous for Tooley-Manang. Going to a league where folding is a very real possibility, from a league where they are competitive and have been successful, doesn't seem like a great move from the club perspective.

Andyt33

Senior List
Feb 25, 2007
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
its on win news Ballarat so who knows what could happend down the track

moose47

Team Captain
Dec 31, 2008
Wimmera
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Manangatang 3rds
AFL Victoria Country have announced that they will be conducting a major strategic review into competition structures in the north west. Now that the review has been announced clubs are to stay in their current leagues for the 2015 season. The review is to be completed by June 2015 and any recommendations to be implemented for the 2016 season.

moose47

Team Captain
Dec 31, 2008
Wimmera
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Manangatang 3rds
AFL Victoria Country have announced that they will be conducting a major strategic review into competition structures in the north west. Now that the review has been announced clubs are to stay in their current leagues for the 2015 season. The review is to be completed by June 2015 and any recommendations to be implemented for the 2016 season.
I thought this may interest a few and get a few comments, but appears not. So regardless of Hopetoun-Beulah merger they will have to stay in the Mallee league for 2015. And apparently JR had been in discussion with Horsham DFL, will also have to remain in Mallee FL. Mallee FL to continue as is for next season which will be good to test how things go. My question is: Should there be a Mallee Football League after 2015? Or should each club find another league to compete in?

ROOTA#6

Brownlow Medallist
May 12, 2006
Bendigo
AFL Club
St Kilda
I thought this may interest a few and get a few comments, but appears not. So regardless of Hopetoun-Beulah merger they will have to stay in the Mallee league for 2015. And apparently JR had been in discussion with Horsham DFL, will also have to remain in Mallee FL. Mallee FL to continue as is for next season which will be good to test how things go. My question is: Should there be a Mallee Football League after 2015? Or should each club find another league to compete in?

Depends on what the clubs want to do really. If the merger of Hopetoun and Beulah goes ahead it reduces the number of teams in the competition. Are the clubs happy with that or do they think they need to look elsewhere??

scoremachine

Senior List
Jun 13, 2007
Ballarat
AFL Club
Geelong

So the mallee league will go ahead next year? I'm not sure how that will work out as 6 teams seems very light on with the Beulah/Hopetoun merger.

I actually think J/R playing in the Horsham district league could work with them gaining new people around Horsham rather than relying on just locals to get a side. And perhaps Beulah/Hopetoun could go to North central league. No idea on the more northern teams in the league.

I really don't see the point of J/R continuing in this league for 2015, they need to change something or else it will get too hard to recruit people especially with there performances on the field lately.

Fish 20

Club Legend
Feb 5, 2008
In a little pond
AFL Club
Richmond
If the league was ever to dispand or even merge again, then I see Walpeup/Underbool being the worst effected. Just purely for location they would have to travel even further. Kind of in no man's land

moose47

Team Captain
Dec 31, 2008
Wimmera
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Manangatang 3rds
Apparently there is some sort of an appeal process if clubs do actually want to change leagues in 2015. Does anyone know which, if any, clubs are undertaking this appeal process and what league(s) are they wanting to move to?

Archie Pelago

Senior List
Oct 5, 2007
Geelong
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
'49ers
Just curious to know how the league awards are voted on. I see the winner of the League B&F (Russ Gravestock medal), which I assume is voted by the umpires, got 20 votes but in the Weightman award he got just 4 votes and the North West Ag award he picked up 6 votes to be well down the list.

twinkle toes

Debutant
Apr 4, 2006
Hell
AFL Club
Essendon
I look forward to lining up for a piss and walking the 17 Kms from where my car is parked to get in. In fact I might just give it a miss. Morons running the joint!

twinkle toes

Debutant
Apr 4, 2006
Hell
AFL Club
Essendon
Have to agree, had full bus load organised from Bendigo area going for a look at grandfinal.. not anymore
Reasons not to attend:
1) no where to park
2) players get changed in a barn
3) after changing players have nowhere outside to warm up, due to cars being parked in all areas
4) 1 male toilet
5) 2 female toilets
6) no where to view.
7) other options Hopetoun and ouyen have either a hill or grandstand to view from and plenty of parking.
8) play it at sea lake even if they are in it. Best ground for watching footy in country Vic.

WTF were the members of the board who voted 5 to 1 for this thinking?

Last edited:

Archerfan

Debutant
Apr 28, 2014
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Yeah makes it hard if you live at the other end of the league a lot travelling involved and also seeing how the prelim is at Jeparit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back