Senior List
Feb 25, 2007
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Miami Dolphins, Yarrawonga Pigeons
My thoughts
Ouyen United to join the Sunraysia FL

• Southern Mallee Giants (Hopetoun-Beulah) ,Sea Lake Nandaly Tigers & Woomelang Lascelles to merge and join north Central League make a ten club competition. Hopetoun - St Arnaud = 150 km = Sea Lake - St Arnaud
  • Ouyen United to join the Sunraysia FL
  • Walpeup Underbool to join the Mallee FL of South Australia. Walpeup to Karoonda 217 km
Southern Mallee Giants are going to Horsham & District football League which has been confirmed to make HDFL a 12 team Competition in 2016 sea lake and Woomelang at present dont want to merge prefer to go it alone in either North Central or Golden Rivers ouyen and Walpeup underbool advsied to merge and join Sunraysia

Fish 20

Club Legend
Feb 5, 2008
In a little pond
AFL Club
Richmond
Southern Mallee Giants are going to Horsham & District football League which has been confirmed to make HDFL a 12 team Competition in 2016 sea lake and Woomelang at present dont want to merge prefer to go it alone in either North Central or Golden Rivers ouyen and Walpeup underbool advsied to merge and join Sunraysia

Sad times. To think when the 2 leagues merged in 1997 there were 12 teams in the competition and the league got to as high as 12th in the Vic Country Interleague rankings in 2014. How times change very quickly

Andyt33

Senior List
Feb 25, 2007
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Sad times. To think when the 2 leagues merged in 1997 there were 12 teams in the competition and the league got to as high as 12th in the Vic Country Interleague rankings in 2014. How times change very quickly
my oath similar to Benalla & Distict was disbanded by then VCFL
now Woomelang Lascelles wants to goto Golden Rivers to make it a 10 team comp & Sea Lake nandaly to North Central to make it a even 8 teams
remember Southern Mallee Was a lot stronger then Northern Mallee dunno how much longer if they didnt merge

Andyt33

Senior List
Feb 25, 2007
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Yes I remember at U18 interleague level some bloke by the name of Jochinke owning the day at Sea Lake in '96. I played on a small forward by the name of Broadbridge. Funny what you remember
im originally up that way im orignally from Brim was shatted when found out we were merging end of 2000 after only losing the grand final by 14 pts agaisnt Beulah u'd think when its that close they would have wanted to try again . i do Remember the Interleague i still had the interleague record did a clean out i had records back to like 1980 its sad to see the league close down Its Like Benalla & Distict was closed by then VCFL they had 5 teams too

Gus Poyet

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 1, 2012
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Brighton & HA, Boston Celtics
I just read today in the Sun that the Mallee league is to fold.

My Grandfather Captain/Coached Hopetoun to a flag in the 30's so this news is a bit sad.

Andyt33

Senior List
Feb 25, 2007
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
I just read today in the Sun that the Mallee league is to fold.

My Grandfather Captain/Coached Hopetoun to a flag in the 30's so this news is a bit sad.
sure is once Jeparit Rainbow left that was the death nail dunno how much longer if southern Mallee didn't merge
use to love travelling to Manang, ouyen, Underbool even to Berriwillock, Yaapeet, rainbow hopetoun, Beulah
went from 12 teams to 5 within a few years

wtfa

Debutant
Dec 26, 2007
pucka
sure is once Jeparit Rainbow left that was the death nail dunno how much longer if southern Mallee didn't merge
use to love travelling to Manang, ouyen, Underbool even to Berriwillock, Yaapeet, rainbow hopetoun, Beulah
went from 12 teams to 5 within a few years
Before it is to Late I would urge all clubs to take a few minutes and consider the following.
Will the current or proposed models work and if so for how long?

The AFL/ViC nee VCFL have been recommending changes to leagues over the years, I wonder to what extent have they been successful? The most recent was the demise of the Benalla District Football League. It would be fair to day that only Bonnie Doon FC. could claim partial success and Longwood FC is certainly fronting up to the rigors of a much higher standard league but with not many wins, the other clubs Gooroombat struggling. Tatong and Swanpool in "forced Recess"
So what are we or the AFL Vic looking or hoping to achieve. Certainly in some cases demographics of certain areas means there is no hope in hell that clubs will have access to over 40 players to pick a Seniors and Reserves side and yet this is the model that clubs are being forced to comply with, with the exception of the Omeo District FL.
So if the proposed amalgamation process as discussed goes through, how long will it be before the clubs find the going getting tougher, especially if competing in a stronger comp? travel and loosing takes their toll on players.
I still believe that clubs in the Mallee League still should consider One club only plus Netball and Juniors (if possible) Option.
Advantages would be maintaining club identity and colours, involving the respective communities Netball comp running alongside would also maintain numbers
If there is any younger player that has ability to progress to a higher level I am quite sure that the status quo would be maintained generally a Major league club general snaps them up.
At the end of the day clubs and committees will decide what they consider is the best option for their club. That is the democratic process, all I say is that sometimes the VCFL should consider the demographics and populations of areas and where possible ensure that footy / netball is played in communities and one size model does not fit all situations.

Andyt33

Senior List
Feb 25, 2007
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Mallee Football League R.I.P
Sad to see these sorts of things happening in country footy, doesn't matter where in Australia it is. What was the main cause of the decline of this league? Communities getting smaller?
yep with Jeparit Rainbow leaving and Beulah and hopetoun merged put a nail in the coffin i think it was going to eventually happen

Sydswans0512

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 25, 2013
AFL Club
Sydney
Any players looking for somewhere to play
PM me and I can help with work and accomodation
Cheers

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad