Malthouse posturing

Remove this Banner Ad

StillAtLarge

Brownlow Medallist
May 12, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I'm finding Malthouse's posturing re: the vacant Adelaide coaching position a little distasteful. Every team in the comp would know the coaching traits and skills of the guy, and who to contact if they're to acquire his services. I'm sure there are plenty of candidates who'd give their right arm to be in charge of the crows. However, given the distressing events that precipitated the vacancy, all have been conspicuously silent (publicly at least).
Thoughts?

I would have a good look at him if i were in charge. Crazier things have happened. Go back 24 months and everyone would have said we were crazy if we didnt take him. Hopefully everyone mocking him doesnt scare him off.

It was a little distasteful imo. This is about the time people will need to put their hand up - problem is that Mick does it publicly rather than contacting Adelaide in private.

And he is no chance of getting the job, not in a year where multiple first time head coaches are nailing it. Things have moved on I think.

Was Malthouse asked the question or did he make a statement?

He was asked the question on radio I believe, but he didn't need to be as brazen. A simple "I wouldn't like to comment on that, I remain interested in coaching but I won't comment on specific roles or clubs" would have sufficed. Then get on the phone to Adelaide if you want.

He was asked the question on radio I believe, but he didn't need to be as brazen. A simple "I wouldn't like to comment on that, I remain interested in coaching but I won't comment on specific roles or clubs" would have sufficed. Then get on the phone to Adelaide if you want.

Ehh, if he's asked the question I can forgive him for saying what he did. Malthouse has always been one to speak his mind and he probably wasn't thinking about the comment being possibly distasteful in that moment. I would be more disappointed at the interviewer for asking a question like that in the current circumstances

http://m.afl.com.au/news/2015-07-28/mick-to-coach-crows

"Remarkably ... my wife said to me today, 'I've seen that quote' and I said, 'Well, there's no way you'd want to live in Adelaide'," Malthouse said.
"She said, 'We don't have to live in Adelaide - you do'."

Someone else is sick of Mick hey?

Man gets asked question.

Public complains he answered. How long do we need to tip toe around Walsh's death before it's acceptable to talk about Adelaide's coaching dilemma?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm more than happy for Mick to apply. Who'd have thought - the Adelaide FC hiring a coach that's actually won a premiership, rather than explained in the interview they have the most qualified guess.

Mick needs to just walk away. Coaching is a stressful job and this is something he doesn't need. Still very respected and admired figure so no need to seek this vacancy

Reminded me of a very interesting interview I saw with Alan Joyce - former Hawthorn and Footscray coach, not the Qantas guy.

He volunteers as a guide at the MCG now, into his 70s.

It was fascinating to hear that he has never truly been able to find 'peace' in his life since his time in football finished, that he lived for the game, the competition, the stress, the wins, the losses etc - has kept him up at night for years, wondering what he could have done differently, could he still do it today etc

I bet Mick is much the same and probably always will be.

wow good thinking man you should be MM's manager you're really smart

The industry has to move on. Don't think it's distasteful, just think it's idiotic as I have more chance than him!

Mick needs to just walk away. Coaching is a stressful job and this is something he doesn't need. Still very respected and admired figure so no need to seek this vacancy

Argue about the still part of respected and admired.

Lost respect for Mick a lot of years ago...left the Eagles list in a mess when he went, and has acted like a complete teet since he left collingwood.

As a coach, if the game hasn't clearly gone past him, his ability to communicate and get a younger generation of blokes to 'buy into' his message certainly has.

Move on Mick.

The old administration would have probably gone with Malthouse.

I don't see that happening at the moment though. I'd expect another obscure assistant from a top 4 club.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back