Management- What does the result really mean this week ?

To rest or not to rest

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

The 6 day breaks are the issue. I can see some names being rested for this game just to avoid injury. Mitchell for example, coming off a hammy and a 6 day interstate trip would be a prime candidate.

At the end of the day it's not so much the win, but more the way we play. If we struggle all day and just eke out a win, or play poorly and get flogged then mentally it doesn't help us going into Finals.

I'm in two minds about this. I voted 'no' but I can't get much enthusiasm for the game either. I'll be much more interested in getting some form and momentum into the players before the finals. I recall Alan Joyce saying how important the solid last round win in 1988 was in giving the team confidence and momentum going into the finals and on to win the cup.

is richmond any chance of defeating sydney in rd 23? if so, this is a must win game in terms of ladder positioning to avoid a trip to sydney week 1 of finals.

This is my whole point. Do not discount the Tigs knocking these f..kers off last round. So this game is crucial i think.
1. To play into form. Its now a 5 week campaign!!!!
2. We can still take top position and get a home final Vs Freo/Port.

I rekon even the Dogs will give them a run this week. Who knows, maybe, just maybe, there could be another Saints v Freo game on our hands!

I think we've managed our team really well. Everyone must be well rested from playing half a game of footy last week, so we crank it up a bit this week when we're all fresh and then Collingwood will prove the perfect game to lead us into the finals. Couldn't have been scripted any better! ;)

Do people really think Hawthorn and Geelong have any secrets against each other? We've played them enough to know how they are going to play and how we are going to play. Despite any drastic positional changes the game will be played like all the others.
I agree with the people our players need game time, and a big run into finals starting now, can't afford any more slip ups, we have had enough this year.

this kennets kurse is media crap. we toasted the cats in the eights 11 times in a row, was it a curse then.
resting players is a bad choice. finals are not soft matches, so the players must be battle hardened. they way to get there is to play hard week in week out, play tuff, and play better week in week out. if your injured your out and then you have to fight for your position back in the team. us by 6 goals on Saturday night.....pawkins 1 goal 4 behinds and 3 out on the full. after being gibsoned all game

This is my whole point. Do not discount the Tigs knocking these f..kers off last round. So this game is crucial i think.
This scenario is the joker in the pack. Do we really want to rely on Richmond doing anything (ie roll over and lose) that would benefit us? The $wan$ have a top 2 spot all but sewn up whereas the Tiges may well have a chance to snaffle 8th. I really don't think we have top possie in our sights but avoiding an away final first up would be the priority. Beat Geelong tomorrow and that possibility goes away, because if Geelong beat us and Lions in Rnd 23 (and the Swans lose to Richmond) then it's Geelong on top, Swans 2nd and us 3rd. Geelong therefore becoming the most unconvincing minor premiers of all time.

The result of this game means jack so far as September is concerned!.....Conclusion: Rest all of our guns , as this is their last chance. With 2x6 day breaks, this is imperative before finals....Or do I need to remind you all of the debacle that befell us during & after the St.Kilda/Sydney Games????

Every single move/strategy must be geared with an eye on the Qualifying final from here on in....That game is a must to win if we are to be any chance of winning this years Premiership!...And yes, It will be against the CATS.
I think Clarko knows this, re: jack $hit, but neither team will want to lose this game just incase Sydney stuff up the last game.
With an eye on September I would be resting Hill and Burgers. These two are the jewel in our crown for the finals. Without Hill and Smiths run we are in trouble. Smith is ok, Hill needs to rest his knee.
Burgers in buggered and just needs a rest. But I would wait until next week for burgers. This is the guy that wins us finals.
If Gunston is not right then give him a break as well.
No use winning the battle and losing the war.

We have not had any consistency with regard to team set up all year. It is good news that we made the 4, so that means a little pressure is off, but the team still needs to push themselves to get back into form as a cohesive unit, especially the back line.

well its form versus keeping someone fresh or injury-free, form is a nasty mistress to mess with, unless the training staff desire to give someone a rest to make sure they dont burn out prior to finals, resting a player can do more harm than good.......

Back