Mandatory data retention starts today

Play by Numbers

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 16, 2007
All up in Jock's icecream
AFL Club
West Coast
In a raft of awful policies, this was one of the worst gifts to ASIO etc.

It has also begun rather disastrously, with only a small portion of ISP's and telecom companies able to participate, with many unlikely to be ready any time soon.

A real fear though is data security, we have companies unprepared, unsure of solutions and not even aware which data and metadata to secure.

My prediction, within 12-24 months there will be a huge data breach that the gov will try to cover up, till it gets out.

What do others think

Play by Numbers

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 16, 2007
AFL Club
West Coast
Telstra has been given another 18 months to comply. It would make sense to give all the companies the same 18 months (then quietly scrap the whole scheme).
Indeed.

Whilst any breach would hammer the government, think of the damage it could do to the company involved or the telecomms industry.

It's rediculous, and I imagine state and non state actors are desperately trying to figure out ways to exploit the plan. Heck, if the Chinese can breach senate and parlimentary emails, don't think they will have to much trouble getting access to an ISP's stored metadata, and say using it to track and monniter Australian resource executives etc

Lester Burnham

Cancelled
Jul 9, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong
Indeed.

Whilst any breach would hammer the government, think of the damage it could do to the company involved or the telecomms industry.

It's rediculous, and I imagine state and non state actors are desperately trying to figure out ways to exploit the plan. Heck, if the Chinese can breach senate and parlimentary emails, don't think they will have to much trouble getting access to an ISP's stored metadata, and say using it to track and monniter Australian resource executives etc

My concern is not with data retention and security. These companies already have to store this data for billing, network management and marketing purposes etc. Some will have to store it longer than otherwise but data storage is becoming cheaper all the time.

I'm more worried about which government agencies will be allowed access to the data without a warrant.

Having said that, if you really want to, it's not that hard to retain the privacy of your internet habits. Which makes the whole scheme an expensive waste of time.

Play by Numbers

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 16, 2007
AFL Club
West Coast
My concern is not with data retention and security. These companies already have to store this data for billing, network management and marketing purposes etc. Some will have to store it longer than otherwise but data storage is becoming cheaper all the time.

I'm more worried about which government agencies will be allowed access to the data without a warrant.

Having said that, if you really want to, it's not that hard to retain the privacy of your internet habits. Which makes the whole scheme an expensive waste of time.
Indeed, everyone from plods to local councils.

medusala

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 14, 2004
Loftus Road
AFL Club
Hawthorn
What do others think

It will get worse, too many people don't care about their freedoms being taken from them, rant about "selfish libertarians"

Saw this recently, don't know how accurate it is but rather scary if true.

http://zerohedge.whotrades.com/blog/43169642303#sthash.lcdZDYMo.dpuf

The latest sign of this stealth takeover of civil rights and freedom was epitomized in recent Senate testimony by FBI Director James Comey, who voiced his objections to civilian use of encryption to protect personal data – information the government has no automatic right to obtain

Lester Burnham nailed it, we are on track for warrantless surveillance. I don't think my woeful attempts via ghostery etc will do much good.

Article from the Guardian in 2013, a link within the article actually shows how many departments already had access to our metadata.

http://www.theguardian.com/news/datablog/2013/jun/11/australia-personal-information-accessed

I don't use torrents nor have anything to hide but I have purchased a VPN service, use Ghostery just because I don't like the idea of someone knowing my browsing habits. I also use WhatsApp as I send numerous texts to friends overseas and now it is also useful for phone calls.

Both major parties agreed to this with only the Greens raising objection.

kfc1

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 27, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
If you dont know what a vpn is just wear one of these whenever you go online. Make sure your cat wears one too as it disrupts their access to his visual feed

images

CbayT

Team Captain
Sep 9, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
So do they store what exactly you've downloaded of bittorrent, or just that you've downloaded something of bittorrent?
No not the download but the ip's time date etc so uses vpn like others have suggested (Switzerland is the best locale) and the other thing is to stop using sms use an encrypted messaging service like our PM. There are a million other thing you can do like browser choice, search choice and encrypted email.

medusala

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 14, 2004
Loftus Road
AFL Club
Hawthorn
No not the download but the ip's time date etc so uses vpn like others have suggested (Switzerland is the best locale) and the other thing is to stop using sms use an encrypted messaging service like our PM.

Such as? I was under the impression that in the UK the Telco's didn't have the data capability to store texts beyond a few days (hence the police having to physically access a mobile phone to gather evidence). What are the easy / common alternatives?

Little Big John

All Australian
Aug 15, 2009
AFL Club
Carlton
Such as? I was under the impression that in the UK the Telco's didn't have the data capability to store texts beyond a few days (hence the police having to physically access a mobile phone to gather evidence). What are the easy / common alternatives?
https://www.eff.org/secure-messaging-scorecard

btb, funny how this issue of state surveillance has united opposition from all political persuasions on figbooty…and yet no one wants to talk about it because they can't engage in the usual partisan s**t-fighting.

Play by Numbers

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 16, 2007
AFL Club
West Coast
Does the Tor browser offset some of these issues somewhat?
A few tips though, if you want to do more than just mask your metadata, so have a higher level of privacy, don't log on to accounts using Tor browser or watch flash vids. Likewise, if you can spare the couple of dollars use a VPN and set up an encrypted mail account.

There is also a reasonably priced smart phone coming out, which uses altered android and it hides most metadata.

CbayT

Team Captain
Sep 9, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
Another tip google keep a bucket load of data so if you need to search use duckduck go or a provider that does not remember (supposedly) anything about you search history.

medusala

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 14, 2004
Loftus Road
AFL Club
Hawthorn
A few tips though, if you want to do more than just mask your metadata, so have a higher level of privacy, don't log on to accounts using Tor browser or watch flash vids. Likewise, if you can spare the couple of dollars use a VPN and set up an encrypted mail account.

PBN, any suggestions re this?

btb, funny how this issue of state surveillance has united opposition from all political persuasions on figbooty…and yet no one wants to talk about it because they can't engage in the usual partisan s**t-fighting.

I for one am very interested in this given my limited tech knowledge and am very grateful for people like yourself who post the relevant links :thumbsu::thumbsu:.

Play by Numbers

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 16, 2007
AFL Club
West Coast
PBN, any suggestions re this?

I for one am very interested in this given my limited tech knowledge and am very grateful for people like yourself who post the relevant links :thumbsu::thumbsu:.
PIA is good, but it depends what you want the VPN for? Secure browsing, streaming etc.

As for mail service, that is very different. I won't mention what mail service I use, but there are many options again depending on the purpose. If you want to sign up to accounts but use a dummy mail, just use 10 minute mail. Likewise, there are mail services which dont require sign up details, ones which delete your sent/ received from servers, ones which are simply encrypted. The most secure and only one that is NSA proof is protonmail, but you have to apply.

For encrypted chat use chatsecure. I will look for some articles later and post.

Reviews for VPN's, DNS, mail or chat and instructionals for seedboxes, sshtunneling, KODI and what secure peripherals to buy

Play by Numbers

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 16, 2007
AFL Club
West Coast
BTW, if da man is really after your data there is little recourse.

There are methods of intrusion for air gapped devices by using blue toothed keyboards or mice, or even sound, it is also possible to monitor a device by detecting the EM emanations from a screen or hardware and even heat exchange on a network.

See tempest, or bitwhisper.

Tempest aint cheap, but stuff like bitwhisper is simple, though unlikely, unless it's a case of industrial espionage and so on. I doubt anyone with the know how cares that much.

Scarier are common tools, like the GCHQ worm, that gives them access to a mobile device via an sms you don't see, then allows them to reconfigure power settings so even when you think the device is off, they can still passively monitor via mic. If you can't take the battery out, then it's almost impossible to stop. Nosy smurf.

Last edited:

Play by Numbers

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 16, 2007
AFL Club
West Coast
Back