Cars & Transportation Manual/Auto license differences ?

Remove this Banner Ad

alter_ego

Debutant
Dec 4, 2011
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
First off thanks in advance for any answers.

So just to break this into parts. Background info I live in SA, not sure if rules on this are different between states.
1) Is there a difference between an Auto/Manual license ?
2) If yes, then how do you go about legally driving a manual on your own ? (Basically remove the "restriction" of "you can only drive auto")
3) Is there more than one way of removing the restriction ? (Can anyone with a full license drive manual ? Or if you spend your entire time on your L's/P's in auto's can you only drive auto's even when you get your full license)

Engimal

Cancelled
10k Posts North Melbourne - 2018 Luke Davies-Uniacke and Paul Ahern Player Sponsor Pantskyle Minecraft Shiny Penny Ruby
Apr 27, 2010
Tasmania
AFL Club
North Melbourne

Yes. Auto license only permits driving automatic vehicles.

2) If yes, then how do you go about legally driving a manual on your own ? (Basically remove the "restriction" of "you can only drive auto")

I believe after a couple of years, you gain the ability to drive both without sitting a test or anything. I think that's how it's done in Tas, but don't hold me to that. :p

3) Is there more than one way of removing the restriction ? (Can anyone with a full license drive manual ? Or if you spend your entire time on your L's/P's in auto's can you only drive auto's even when you get your full license)

You can drive anything or your Ls. However whatever vehicle you sit your Ps in determines whether you get a auto or manual license. I'm not sure about what happens once you get to full licence though.

That's the best I can give, sorry. :p

slashin_velvet

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 5, 2011
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Dallas Cowboys, STL Blues
In Victoria, at least, once you get your full licence you can drive auto or manual - but it's not completely unrestricted - there are limitations to the size of vehicle (for example certain trucks require a heavy vehicle license).

On your L's you can drive either - then the type of test you sit to get your P's determines the car you drive on your P's....Auto = Auto only, Manual = Both. If you sit the test for auto, but choose to buy a manual car - you can resit the driving test in a manual and change your license (without having to restart the time on P's).

BotsMaster

2022 Sep Premiers
Jan 26, 2009
Cheat Park
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Everton, Cardinals
What the hell is with this "I'll get an auto license first and then drive a manual when I'm on my full license" mentality?

Seriously just go for a manual license and gain experience while learning, instead of being a r***** when you finally attempt to drive a manual on your full license.

Oct 9, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Perth Wildcats basketball

So just to break this into parts. Background info I live in SA, not sure if rules on this are different between states.
I'm pretty sure in WA you can only drive what you've been tested in. If you moved here you would have to sit a proper written and driving test in a manual motor car.

Oct 9, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Yes. Auto license only permits driving automatic vehicles.

I believe after a couple of years, you gain the ability to drive both without sitting a test or anything. I think that's how it's done in Tas, but don't hold me to that. :p

You can drive anything or your Ls. However whatever vehicle you sit your Ps in determines whether you get a auto or manual license. I'm not sure about what happens once you get to full licence though.

That's the best I can give, sorry. :p
Manual driving is a whole different story to a new learner from driving manual to automatic. I am inclined to think that if you only get auto , then thats it , full liscence or not.
My kids all learnt in manuals. Better to start off that way. Once you get the knack with a teacher it becomes second nature. And perhaps you are more conscious of your vehicle and its capacities, I know people in Autos that won't go neaar a manual. Not all but a lot.

Commissioner Gordon

All Australian
Jun 6, 2012
South Australia
AFL Club
Adelaide

Not as far as a class 'C' South Australian licence goes. Once you get your P's you can drive either Auto or Manual.

Last edited:

HappyChappy35

Club Legend
Jun 19, 2011
Geelong
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Australian Cricket Team
Is it possible for me, as a P-plater with an auto restriction, to drive a manual under the supervision of a fully licenced driver (as occurs on your L's) with the aim of resitting the test? Or is the former just wishful thinking and illegal like I think it is?

Reason being was that I learned in a manual car for a portion of my L's, but wasn't comfortable enough with my manual skills to be able to sit the test in it by the time my 120 hours elapsed. It was also a diesel, which is a somewhat different beast to driving the instructor's petrol car and caused confusion when I went to drive in a petrol (the clutch, accelerator and gears don't exactly operate in the same manner). Worried that the manual skills/practice I've gained in that time will all be lost by the time I'm on my full licence.

Would really like to have sat my test in one, but the money involved in obtaining driving lessons ($40 a pop) and the effort/time it would have taken to master it were all too prohibitive in the end (wasn't able to scrounge together a few hundred to buy some old shitbox, unfortunately). Some consolation is that I actually have half a clue how to drive a manual, unlike my mates who all got their P's in autos and go blank when they're thrown the keys to one. :cool:

Never driven a manual in my life. Despite this I'm licenced to drive one, as when I got my licence there was no differentiation between the two types. Go figure.

Theres no differentiation when you get your full license. I got a manual license thinking it would matter, but it doesn't.

BotsMaster

2022 Sep Premiers
Jan 26, 2009
Cheat Park
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Everton, Cardinals
Is it possible for me, as a P-plater with an auto restriction, to drive a manual under the supervision of a fully licenced driver (as occurs on your L's) with the aim of resitting the test? Or is the former just wishful thinking and illegal like I think it is?

Reason being was that I learned in a manual car for a portion of my L's, but wasn't comfortable enough with my manual skills to be able to sit the test in it by the time my 120 hours elapsed. It was also a diesel, which is a somewhat different beast to driving the instructor's petrol car and caused confusion when I went to drive in a petrol (the clutch, accelerator and gears don't exactly operate in the same manner). Worried that the manual skills/practice I've gained in that time will all be lost by the time I'm on my full licence.

Would really like to have sat my test in one, but the money involved in obtaining driving lessons ($40 a pop) and the effort/time it would have taken to master it were all too prohibitive in the end (wasn't able to scrounge together a few hundred to buy some old shitbox, unfortunately). Some consolation is that I actually have half a clue how to drive a manual, unlike my mates who all got their P's in autos and go blank when they're thrown the keys to one. :cool:
Interesting you had to do your test in an instructors car. I did mine in my dad's Hilux.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

HappyChappy35

Club Legend
Jun 19, 2011
Geelong
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Australian Cricket Team
Interesting you had to do your test in an instructors car. I did mine in my dad's Hilux.

Nope, did the test in my auto. Had some lessons with an instructor in their manual car but didn't sit the test in it, even though it was an option.

FreoGirl

Premium Platinum
Mar 13, 2002
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Freo, The Abbotsford Anglers
I don't know why people don't just go manual in the first place. My 16 year old is going through the process now - he was initially intimidated by the idea of manual (because most of his friends are doing auto) but after 22 hrs of driving he loves it! If I can get my manual, anybody can :)

Meow

Club Legend
Sep 4, 2008
Moggs Creek
AFL Club
Geelong
You can actually drive a manual car with an auto-only licence in Vic, albeit under two conditions:

1. A fully licensed driver is seated in the front (similar to your L's)
2. 'Driver under instruction' signs are placed at the front and rear of the car, along with P plates

The manual restriction lasts for the duration of your P's only. Once you graduate to a full licence, it is removed and you can drive whatever transmission you want.

Jun 23, 2008
Headed for Kirribilli House
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Norwood, Everton, Detroit Red Wings
My kids all learnt in manuals. Better to start off that way. Once you get the knack with a teacher it becomes second nature. And perhaps you are more conscious of your vehicle and its capacities, I know people in Autos that won't go neaar a manual. Not all but a lot.

I don't know why people don't just go manual in the first place. My 16 year old is going through the process now - he was initially intimidated by the idea of manual (because most of his friends are doing auto) but after 22 hrs of driving he loves it! If I can get my manual, anybody can :)

Why do people feel the "need" to know how to drive a manual though? I've never understood it. There's enough going on that you need to keep track of when driving as it is (especially if you're driving in the city or suburbs), without having to worry about adding in things manually changing gears, clutch, etc.

Meow

Club Legend
Sep 4, 2008
Moggs Creek
AFL Club
Geelong

Also worth noting that practising in a manual car forces you to concentrate more on your driving. You not only have to look for hazards on the road, but operate the clutch smoothly, change gears and consequently anticipate things 5-10 seconds ahead (e.g. stopping at traffic lights - in an auto braking and checking mirrors would suffice, whereas in a manual you'd also have to change gears and slow down/take off using the clutch). Controlling the car becomes important on top of obeying road rules and other drivers, so manuals reinforce good driving habits a great deal more than autos.

Did my licence test in 1980 when automatic cars were non-existent. Nowadays, every second person has NFI how to drive a manual. It's a good skill to have - not only for your overall driving habits, but in terms of employment (esp. trades) and fuel efficiency.

Oct 9, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Why do people feel the "need" to know how to drive a manual though? I've never understood it. There's enough going on that you need to keep track of when driving as it is (especially if you're driving in the city or suburbs), without having to worry about adding in things manually changing gears, clutch, etc.
You can actually appreciate how your engine operates and how revs and gear change works. just seem to make it more of a driving activity.
You actually don't have a machine driving it for you. This day and age you may never ever need to drive a manual ever again, but you still miss out.
My four children all learnt in manuals and do not drive anything but manual now or ever.

It seems to be popular. But each to their own. Automatics are nice and comfortable and easier to drive though.

Riseupaustralia

Club Legend
Oct 12, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
Need to hire a small truck to move furniture or the like? Nup, can't drive a manual.
Mate needs a hand cos he's pissed and can't drive. Nup, can't drive a manual.
In an emergency situation and need to get somewhere fast. Nup, can't drive a manual.

The list goes on.

Why in the hell wouldn't you even learn to drive one?

Soft. Very, very soft.

BotsMaster

2022 Sep Premiers
Jan 26, 2009
Cheat Park
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Everton, Cardinals
You can actually drive a manual car with an auto-only licence in Vic, albeit under two conditions:

1. A fully licensed driver is seated in the front (similar to your L's)
2. 'Driver under instruction' signs are placed at the front and rear of the car, along with P plates

The manual restriction lasts for the duration of your P's only. Once you graduate to a full licence, it is removed and you can drive whatever transmission you want.
Yeah but what's the ******* point when they have no idea how to operate the clutch or know when to change gear?

And if you are learning to drive manual on your full license, make sure you practice on quiet roads, preferably in the country if you're a city person or in car parks. Don't be the ******* moron I saw to today that stalled his car at the lights and had NFI how start it again.

May 2, 2007
WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Chicago Bears, de Boer, Arsenal
Only a muppet would get an auto because they are scared or something. They aren't difficult to learn on at all. I'd argue other stuff like reversing, changing lanes, judging distances in traffic is far, far more difficult learning than using a gearstick.

What if you want to do a trade one day? Almost all work vehicles are manual.

Also whilst not as bad as it used to be with small cars with automatic transmissions and it's a bit of extra work in heavy traffic if you drive a little Corolla or something they perform a lot better with a manual gearbox.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back