Cars & Transportation Manual/Auto license differences ?

Remove this Banner Ad

FreoGirl

Premium Platinum
Mar 13, 2002
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Freo, The Abbotsford Anglers
Also props to FreoGirl for getting her son to drive manual.

I wish more parents were like you :thumbsu:
well, the other day my son's 18 year old friend came over and the two boys wanted to go for a surf. The 18 year old only has an automatic license and son's Forrester is a manual (he is still on 'L' plates). I couldn't take them because I had to go to Uni. The two boys missed the beach and ended up staying home. The 18 year old said that having an automatic has already caused problems where he works because he is limited - he has to drive patients around.

I personally find automatics are boring to drive. I've got a Mini Cooper and can't imagine driving an automatic version would give you the same "go kart" feel.

May 2, 2007
WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Chicago Bears, de Boer, Arsenal
If that situation came up then I imagine you'd just go get your manual licence as well. Like you said, it isn't hard to do.
Do the friggin test again?? Screw that noise, just do it properly the first time and then you are done forever.

BotsMaster

2022 Sep Premiers
Jan 26, 2009
Cheat Park
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Everton, Cardinals
You don't. Like you said, changing gears is hardly the hardest thing about driving. After 5 years they assume you'll be good enough.
A friend of mine (never driven a manual before) was riding with his mate in a Nissan Patrol, they stopped somewhere on a hill and because the driver didn't want to pay for parking he asked my friend to take it around the block. My friend instead of taking it around the block, he rolled it down hill and fully burnt the clutch.

May 3, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Australian Cricket Team,
I don't know why people don't just go manual in the first place. My 16 year old is going through the process now - he was initially intimidated by the idea of manual (because most of his friends are doing auto) but after 22 hrs of driving he loves it! If I can get my manual, anybody can :)
now he can go around saying 'manual master race':)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back