March In March

Feb 18, 2003
Hoppers Crossing
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Liverpool
Despite the lack of MSM coverage of the event over the weekend, thousands in the capital cities and regional areas took to the streets in protest of the policies of the Abbott Government.

The asylum seeker policy of Labor was also attacked.

Many of the protestors were doing so for the first time...including people who had voted Abbott in.

The marches culminate in Canberra today with the presentation of a petition of no confidence in Abbott as prime Minister. I'm not totally sure of the signatures on the petition, but, if the protest numbers are anything to go by, were are talking more than 100000...given that protests such as the one in Melbourne had anywhere between 30000 and 50000 on its own. The Melbourne protest is the being described as the 3rd biggest protest march in Melbourne's history. Only the Vietnam Moratorium marches had more in attendance.

lennon

Debutant
Mar 6, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Despite the lack of MSM coverage of the event over the weekend, thousands in the capital cities and regional areas took to the streets in protest of the policies of the Abbott Government.

The asylum seeker policy of Labor was also attacked.

Many of the protestors were doing so for the first time...including people who had voted Abbott in.

The marches culminate in Canberra today with the presentation of a petition of no confidence in Abbott as prime Minister. I'm not totally sure of the signatures on the petition, but, if the protest numbers are anything to go by, were are talking more than 100000...given that protests such as the one in Melbourne had anywhere between 30000 and 50000 on its own. The Melbourne protest is the being described as the 3rd biggest protest march in Melbourne's history. Only the Vietnam Moratorium marches had more in attendance.
yes but the people marching are the ones who just don't have a life unfortunately, or like to protest at the drop of a hat

Hi there Ross. I went to the Adelaide one and there was a really good turn out, it was a nice mix of people of all ages concerned about a wide variety of issues. Personally I'm a little cynical about how much will actually come of this, but on the other hand I think if you feel strongly enough about something, then you should demonstrate. There were some interesting address', two particularly from climate scientists from Adelaide uni, those street preachers turned up, hoping for an argument and were largely ignored which must have disappointed them, and there was a good sense of community, which is one of the reasons I enjoy attending these sort of things.

Navy_4_life

Senior List
Suspended
Mar 17, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
You mean 100,000 unionists, students, greenies etc managed to protest across the weekend? Great.

Still does nothing to reverse the decision of the clear majority of Australians who voted 6 months ago for the policies Abbott is putting in place. You may not like it but the majority voted to stop the boats.

You also failed to point out the signs calling for Abbott to be assassinated.

I took one look at the people protesting and knew this was just your normal leftist rent a crowd, rather than a real movement of open minded people.

Abbott one - the left lost. Get over it and get out of his way. In 2.5 years time he then faces the people again and is held to account. That is democracy.

dymot

Premiership Player
Dec 4, 2012
AFL Club
Geelong
30 grand in Melbourne mainily is a minority. There will be basically some who will be disenfranchised whenever a government has been voted in if they themselves voted for the party elected to form government. The melbourne movement saying stuff like there were the third biggest numbers to a protest of all time is totally wrong. The workchoices marches and the occupy marches had more for starters. Also am incredibly certain some saying they voted Abbott in really didn't and are simply saying stuff like this because they want to give good publicity to their campaign and interests.

Navy_4_life

Senior List
Suspended
Mar 17, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
Hi there Ross. I went to the Adelaide one and there was a really good turn out, it was a nice mix of people of all ages concerned about a wide variety of issues. Personally I'm a little cynical about how much will actually come of this, but on the other hand I think if you feel strongly enough about something, then you should demonstrate. There were some interesting address', two particularly from climate scientists from Adelaide uni, those street preachers turned up, hoping for an argument and were largely ignored which must have disappointed them, and there was a good sense of community, which is one of the reasons I enjoy attending these sort of things.

I would never suggest people shouldn't protest if they want to - provided they don't destroy public property or block other citizens enjoyment of public facilities (e.g. roads, parks etc).

But here is a hot tip for you - nothing will come from this. It is the usual protest crowd screaming because they can't accept the electorate voted for a Liberal Govt after the worst Federal Govt in our history

Sorry I missed it. Have never been to one but if you hear of another one in Melbourne, let me know as I have quite a few friends that have never demonstrated before and they too would like to go.

lennon

Debutant
Mar 6, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
I would like to get a rundown of the people who attended , how many are gainfully employed, and how many rely on welfare, I don't mind a protest for the people who are employed , but I do mind people protesting who rely on welfare to be able to attend, I don't want to pay for their lazy arses

dymot

Premiership Player
Dec 4, 2012
AFL Club
Geelong
You mean 100,000 unionists, students, greenies etc managed to protest across the weekend? Great.

Still does nothing to reverse the decision of the clear majority of Australians who voted 6 months ago for the policies Abbott is putting in place. You may not like it but the majority voted to stop the boats.

I took one look at the people protesting and knew this was just your normal leftist rent a crowd, rather than a real movement of open minded people.

Abbott one - the left lost. Get over it and get out of his way. In 2.5 years time he then faces the people again and is held to account. That is democracy.
Sarah Hanson Young aka Senator Sea Patrol should start saying she was outraged by these signs and placards pretty soon since she has huge hatrid for people protesting in front of such signs and putting them forward at rallies which her interests support.

As all the above stated from you this is mostly true and not able to be disputed. Think that there could coincidentally be such disdain shown by similar numbers if there was a protest against the greenslabor policies circa 10 but bloody unlikely since some such as those from the right really don't need to or see the need to protest.

Can you please conjurer up a few more categories as I don't fit into any of the ones you mentioned.
I will give you a clue - retired, worked for 44 years, never had a handout from any government and is concerned that if we do nothing, what future is there for our grand-children's grandchildren? I for one would like for them to have a better life than I did.

dymot

Premiership Player
Dec 4, 2012
AFL Club
Geelong
Can you please conjurer up a few more categories as I don't fit into any of the ones you mentioned.
I will give you a clue - retired, worked for 44 years, never had a handout from any government and is concerned that if we do nothing, what future is there for our grand-children's grandchildren? I for one would like for them to have a better life than I did.
So never received family tax benefit B?

Navy_4_life

Senior List
Suspended
Mar 17, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton

Sorry I forgot the general "stupid" category :)

No in all seriousness you are entitled to your views and congrats for expressing them.

But I dare say in 2.5 years time Abbott will be re-elected. He may not though - that is democracy

yes but the people marching are the ones who just don't have a life unfortunately, or like to protest at the drop of a hat
Neither apply to me Ross and I went along for a look.

Navy_4_life

Senior List
Suspended
Mar 17, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton

I will create another category for you.

"Blokes who went in the hope they could hook up with hot leftist chicks".

I admire you - before being spoken for I used to hide my right wing thoughts as nobody gives better head than an idealistic young lefty chick. Most also let you take the back door...

I will create another category for you.

"Blokes who went in the hope they could hook up with hot leftist chicks".

I admire you - before being spoken for I used to hide my right wing thoughts as nobody gives better head than an idealistic young lefty chick. Most also let you take the back door...
I wish. :D

dymot

Premiership Player
Dec 4, 2012
AFL Club
Geelong
You are kidding right? What did you think I didn't pay the medicare levy? Instead of point scoring, get a life.
Sorry seeing if you were lying or not. As you are the above is hilarious and highly ironically hypocritical.

Stewies Power

Premiership Player
Sep 14, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Aus Cricket Team & F1 Ricciardo
marcfrhff_thumb.jpg

marchdassass_thumb.jpg

marchhitler_thumb.png

marchresign_thumb.png

marchabort_thumb.png

march_fasc_thumb.png

Vintage lefties. The only thing these greens voting hippies can run is a protest. Vile barbarians.

lennon

Debutant
Mar 6, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
fine with me , I hope you had a good day, I am down on the rent a protestor, the likes who you see doing the forest protests for weeks at a time, and collecting the dole, if you want to protest full time, fine , but at your own resources

Back