1. The ASADA, AFL and drugs in sport Hot Topic board

Media links, the facts, the statements, the allegations, the charges, the court actions, the notices and the clubs mentioned so far. Hundreds of threads, 240,000+ posts.

Arts & Humanities Marching Bands

Discussion in 'Question and Answer' started by lemon chicken, Apr 8, 2012.

Put it out there
  1. lemon chicken

lemon chicken Account Cancelled by User

Essendon
    Other teams:
    Was riding through St Kilda yesterday morning and noticed they had a entire street next to Luna Park blocked off for the National Marching Band Championships. Stopped at the lights and a few of them crossed over and was amazed at mix of ages in one of the bands, there was older 50-60 year olds but also 2-3 of them were around 18-21. Anyone know anybody that does this for a hobby and what posses them to do so? Do you first get and interest in marching (ie, a failed army officer who can get enough regimented activity into their lives) and the instrument follows or just not talented enough for a brass band so this the natural progression?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2. CAS79

CAS79 Club Legend

Sydney
    Other teams:
    Well Lemon Chickns made his mind. Asking who does this and he focuses on lifes failures lol.
  3. bunsen burner

bunsen burner Norm Smith Medallist

West Coast
    Other teams:
    I'm with lemon chicken on this one. Massive wtf? Who does this shit?
  4. lemon chicken

lemon chicken Account Cancelled by User

Essendon
    Other teams:
    Yes you're right. I'm from a 5th generation marching band family and when i chose not to take up the high lifestyle that marching band members obviously live, my family cut all contact with me. Vale my life. :(

keeponwinningmarchingbandmembers.jpg
  5. courtjester

courtjester All Australian

Richmond
    Other teams:
    Maybe people who value history.
  6. Selective Retention

Selective Retention Account Cancelled by User

Geelong
    Other teams:
    I don't think I've ever seen one outside of anzac day marches and US tv/movies.
  7. morri

morri Rookie

North Melbourne
    Other teams:
    Western Cape, Springboks, Proteas .
    In secondary school there was a girl who was member of the local marching band. Marching bands are mostly stuff of rural villages here, and they mostly perform at easter, shooting guild(local shooting clubs competition and at harvest festivals and lantern walks... While I totally lack coordination to be in such a group, I think there would be something missing at harvest thank trecks, or other above mentioned marches.
  8. Caesar

Caesar Super Moderator

Western Bulldogs
    Other teams:
    I had friends who were part of a marching band in high school and they were always travelling overseas to the US and Japan and stuff to perform. I remember once they performed at Disney World, we were all pretty jealous.

Not sure where the idea that it's made up of failed brass band members comes from. Most of the better brass bands do at least some marching as well I think.
  9. dumb

dumb i shit blue

Carlton
    Other teams:
    i find edinburgh tattoo and all that stuff pretty cringeworthy. maybe as one of those good ol' american street parades i could understand it, but in a stadium... nah.
    still, doesn't make me laugh like dancing horses.

[youtube]knCj92zA0tU[/youtube]

[youtube]4dJLovXGRqM[/youtube]

****ing lol
  10. Crash Davis

Crash Davis All Australian

Collingwood
    Other teams:
    I'm not into marching bands but each to their own.
    Personally, I find the effort put into dream teams and supercoach a waste of time. Yugi oh, dragonball z and all that shit were as boring as batshit but I'd never deny or judge anyone the right to indulge.
    Quit making stupid assumptions on things you have no knowledge of and just take people as they are. Were any of the young chicks in the band playing the flute?
  11. bunsen burner

bunsen burner Norm Smith Medallist

West Coast
    Other teams:
    Ahh, the equivalent of men who grow up to be hairdressers or interior designers.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

12. Umpa Lumpa

Umpa Lumpa Account Cancelled by User

Collingwood
    Other teams:
    [​IMG]