Arts & Humanities Marching Bands

lemon chicken

Cancelled
Jan 31, 2008
Mordialloc
AFL Club
Essendon
Was riding through St Kilda yesterday morning and noticed they had a entire street next to Luna Park blocked off for the National Marching Band Championships. Stopped at the lights and a few of them crossed over and was amazed at mix of ages in one of the bands, there was older 50-60 year olds but also 2-3 of them were around 18-21. Anyone know anybody that does this for a hobby and what posses them to do so? Do you first get and interest in marching (ie, a failed army officer who can get enough regimented activity into their lives) and the instrument follows or just not talented enough for a brass band so this the natural progression?

lemon chicken

Cancelled
Jan 31, 2008
Mordialloc
AFL Club
Essendon
Well Lemon Chickns made his mind. Asking who does this and he focuses on lifes failures lol.

Yes you're right. I'm from a 5th generation marching band family and when i chose not to take up the high lifestyle that marching band members obviously live, my family cut all contact with me. Vale my life. :(

keeponwinningmarchingbandmembers.jpg

morri

Team Captain
Nov 4, 2011
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Western Cape, Springboks, Proteas .
In secondary school there was a girl who was member of the local marching band. Marching bands are mostly stuff of rural villages here, and they mostly perform at easter, shooting guild(local shooting clubs competition and at harvest festivals and lantern walks... While I totally lack coordination to be in such a group, I think there would be something missing at harvest thank trecks, or other above mentioned marches.

Caesar

Ex-Huckleberry
Mar 3, 2005
Tombstone, AZ
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I had friends who were part of a marching band in high school and they were always travelling overseas to the US and Japan and stuff to perform. I remember once they performed at Disney World, we were all pretty jealous.

Not sure where the idea that it's made up of failed brass band members comes from. Most of the better brass bands do at least some marching as well I think.

Jul 12, 2008
Vic
AFL Club
Carlton
i find edinburgh tattoo and all that stuff pretty cringeworthy. maybe as one of those good ol' american street parades i could understand it, but in a stadium... nah.
still, doesn't make me laugh like dancing horses.

[youtube]knCj92zA0tU[/youtube]

[youtube]4dJLovXGRqM[/youtube]

****ing lol

Dan Moody

That, was liquid football
Apr 3, 2007
AFL Club
Collingwood
I'm not into marching bands but each to their own.
Personally, I find the effort put into dream teams and supercoach a waste of time. Yugi oh, dragonball z and all that s**t were as boring as batshit but I'd never deny or judge anyone the right to indulge.
Quit making stupid assumptions on things you have no knowledge of and just take people as they are. Were any of the young chicks in the band playing the flute?

bunsen burner

Hall of Famer
Veteran 30k Posts 10k Posts
Sep 12, 2001
Sydney
AFL Club
West Coast
i find edinburgh tattoo and all that stuff pretty cringeworthy. maybe as one of those good ol' american street parades i could understand it, but in a stadium... nah.
still, doesn't make me laugh like dancing horses.

[youtube]knCj92zA0tU[/youtube]

[youtube]4dJLovXGRqM[/youtube]

****ing lol
Ahh, the equivalent of men who grow up to be hairdressers or interior designers.

Umpa Lumpa

All Australian
Suspended
Jun 3, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
I'm not into marching bands but each to their own.
Personally, I find the effort put into dream teams and supercoach a waste of time. Yugi oh, dragonball z and all that s**t were as boring as batshit but I'd never deny or judge anyone the right to indulge.
Quit making stupid assumptions on things you have no knowledge of and just take people as they are. Were any of the young chicks in the band playing the flute?

1780549-shakehead.gif

Back