Delisted Marco Paparone (2012-2018)

Remove this Banner Ad

He's got a strange kicking action which no doubt he will be working on, but my understanding from Rob Kerr's analysis is his kicking is still fairly effective/accurate.. more of a question of around whether it stands up to AFL pressure. Still keen to see him in action in the NAB cup.

It might work in the juniors but won't work under the significant increase in pressure he'll face in the AFL.

Looking at the photos and video of Marco, he looks very much a man amongst boys. The problem with many of these early physical development types is that they get used to dominating the smaller bodies around them in the juniors, then struggle to make an impact with the same style of play when they come up against solid adult bodies. I saw this happen to a mate of mine - as a junior he was a 6'4" man-mountain ruckman, but he never grew any more in those 18 to 21 years. He ended up undersized as a ruckman and too slow to do anything else. I hope Marco still has some physical development in him.

With respect to kicking, I'm less concerned. I figure that if the Lions could progress Rog Merrett from someone who would routinely handball off to avoid kicking to become one of the more reliable kicks in the team, they can fix anyone.

Takes them all a bit of time to adjust to the speed of the game, the better players will adjust. I think Paps will struggle a bit with the contact side of things, he is such a running leading player that i don't think he will be too use to contact, and was probably a decent size at the lower level. Coming the next level up i suspect he will find more players able to keep up with him, and the physical side of things will put him off a bit. How well he adjusts his game and deals with that will show how good a player he is i think.

Looked the goods. Different, and will prove impossible to contain. If he can develop the rest of his game to complement the running/link man we will have a weapon.

As long as he doesnt go down the path of the Brennan, he will be an excellent linkup for us.

Marco was credited with 28 touches and 15 marks on the weekend against the Suns, feel sorry for who ever was 'meant to be' marking him, I'm guessing he covered plenty of ground.

Marco was credited with 28 touches and 15 marks on the weekend against the Suns, feel sorry for who ever was 'meant to be' marking him, I'm guessing he covered plenty of ground.

I've heard two different people say that he's the best tall mover in local footy since Riewoldt.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Getting over half of ur touches from marking the ball is quiet an achievement. His work rate must be just super human. The good thing is players like that go for 4 quarters, and can work their way into a game. I think he is going to be a very important player for us in 2 years.

Reserves Wrap: Round 4
April 16 2013

Draftee Marco Paparone also seemed to enjoy the wide open spaces of Metricon Stadium, and ran the opposition ragged with 28 disposals, 15 marks and three goals.

“Marco was very good playing as a wingman/half-forward,” Harding said.

“He plays to his strength, being his elite endurance, and used the open spaces that Metricon provides. That’s the beauty with Marco – he just keeps running and presenting.”

I like the sound of his last game. Hope he continues to improve his kicking and contested marking otherwise he'll basically end up as a tall Dalziell.

Isn't he 194cm? That's genuine KPF height... I hope he can put a bit of bulk and the strength to go with it while retaining the running power.

I had seen him listed at 193cm, so he's right on the verge at the moment. Hence the fingers crossed to just put on another 2 or 3 cms.

Quick send him to Hajnal Black's doctor! ;)

Congrats to Marco.

He has done quite well to debut so early.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back