Marcus Bontempelli Vs Patrick Cripps

Which player will have the better individual career?

• Marcus Bontempelli

• Patrick Cripps

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good comparison, I am going with Cripps who is going from strength to strength while Bontempelli has plateaued a bit.

Patrick Cripps: 23.4 disposals, 13.9 contested, 5 tackles, 0.3 goals, 0.6 goal assists, 79.3% TOG, 2.4 inside 50s, 6.7 clearances, 69% DE

Bontempelli: 20.6 disposals, 10.2 contested, 5.5 tackles,0.8 goals, 0.6 goal assists, 84% TOG, 4.8 inside 50s, 4.7 clearances, 70% DE

Bontempelli without question. Cripps still of the highest order though.
Bont marshalling a midfield with Stringer, McRae, Hunter, Wallis and Libba. Holy crap - good luck any team taking that lot on by 2017.

Good comparison, I am going with Cripps who is going from strength to strength while Bontempelli has plateaued a bit.

Patrick Cripps: 23.4 disposals, 13.9 contested, 5 tackles, 0.3 goals, 0.6 goal assists, 79.3% TOG, 2.4 inside 50s, 6.7 clearances, 69% DE

Bontempelli: 20.6 disposals, 10.2 contested, 5.5 tackles,0.8 goals, 0.6 goal assists, 84% TOG, 4.8 inside 50s, 4.7 clearances, 70% DE
Lol

Cripps is good and is the type you build a midfield around - but Bonti can BOG with 20 touches.
Bonti's 8 months younger too and can go forward to break tags - goal kicking mids are gold

yeah the simplified who can get the ball more if they try thing is exhausting. Not the aim of the game.

When it comes to turning sticky situations into brilliant ones that break the play up, Bont is better for a variety of reasons. 1. He's better by hand (yes, Cripps is good by hand). 2. He's better by foot and has a raking accurate kick. Very good right too. 3. He can run away/through congestion.

There's no need not to believe Cripps won't be the best extractor in the AFL, but being a top 20 ranked afl player, 2 years younger than anyone before, there's little reason to believe Bont won't be the best mid in the game.

Extremely good prospects with lots of similarities, but one has many a more string to his bow

Anybody who is looking at stats to compare these two players has absolutely no idea.

They both have some good non-stat attributes; Cripps' mobility and skill is undersold a bit due to his size. Statistical comparisons seem relevant when considering that they seem more or less matched qualitatively, and it seems that Cripps is ahead right now.

They both have some good non-stat attributes; Cripps' mobility and skill is undersold a bit due to his size. Statistical comparisons seem relevant when considering that they seem more or less matched qualitatively, and it seems that Cripps is ahead right now.
The over-emphasis on stats has become one of the worst things about discussing football. Give me the good old eye test any day.

Else you'll be talking about Matty Boyd when he was gathering 30+ possessions regularly as a better player than Pendlebury. Which is a farce.

The over-emphasis on stats has become one of the worst things about discussing football. Give me the good old eye test any day.

Else you'll be talking about Matty Boyd when he was gathering 30+ possessions regularly as a better player than Pendlebury. Which is a farce.

Only if you were discussing possessions alone, which we are not doing here. I'm sure Pendlebury's statistical range eclipses Matthew Boyd's as well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Only if you were discussing possessions alone, which we are not doing here. I'm sure Pendlebury's statistical range eclipses Matthew Boyd's as well.
I doubt it. But I could be wrong.

Either way, all your statistics prove is that Cripps plays more inside. Nothing else whatsoever. What it doesn't show, is what Bontempelli or Cripps actually do with their possessions. Cripps is a gun young player, I'm not disputing that at all. But what the Bont does with his possessions is create, excite, and destroy.

that's true, sadly all people point to is a footywire comparison page which are dumb stats. advanced stats have Bont in the top 20 players in the comp. They do support him you just need to look at the good stuff. Sadly we all have to pay for champion data subscriptions which is a pain

that's true, sadly all people point to is a footywire comparison page which are dumb stats. advanced stats have Bont in the top 20 players in the comp.

Footywire contains advanced stats, including the full champion data ranking. You're right that Bontempelli is ahead of Cripps in terms of the Champion Data rankings, but it's only by 4 points.

advanced stats have Bont in the top 20 players in the comp

No, Bontempelli is 47th in Champion Data rankings.

Problem is not everyone watches every second of Cripps' and Bonts' games.

Ive seen just about every Cripps touch, every pirouette, every over the back-look-a-way handpass, every bullocking break away but ive only seen about 80% of Bonts' games.

Footywire contains advanced stats, including the full champion data ranking. You're right that Bontempelli is ahead of Cripps in terms of the Champion Data rankings, but it's only by 4 points.

No, Bontempelli is 47th in Champion Data rankings.
my reference to Champion Data was not tied to my reference to his place in the AFL top 20. They're the official ratings, and they're even better. Anyone know where to/how to access them?

Problem is not everyone watches every second of Cripps' and Bonts' games.

Ive seen just about every Cripps touch, every pirouette, every over the back-look-a-way handpass, every bullocking break away but ive only seen about 80% of Bonts' games.
would you agree on this?

Irrespective of who's better overall, if the ball is in dispute, you'd rather Cripps, and if the ball was in hand, you'd rather Bonts. I think it's a testament to both that neither are weak in the area i have them losing- in fact both are quite good

my reference to Champion Data was not tied to my reference to his place in the AFL top 20. They're the official ratings, and they're even better.

Are you referring to AFL Player Ratings? They're just another fantasy point rating system, and not very reliable in comparison to Champion Data.

Cripps' disposal by hand isn't better than Bontempelli's. On par with the Bont, maybe.

But he lacks the class in other aspects of his game.
Are you referring to AFL Player Ratings? They're just another fantasy point rating system, and not very reliable in comparison to Champion Data.
Uh, the player ratings algorithm was designed by Champion Data.

Regardless, they're a more reliable metric than simply pulling random stats out of your ass.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back