Mark Bilcavs

Remove this Banner Ad

Letting him go chase the Olympic dream for 6 months, paying him while doing it ( rookie minimums but still ok money) has clearly been good thing. Again I think it shows GFC putting the player before the club. We also asked him to remain a rookie in his 3rd year when we were pushing for list spots and he agreed. It goes both ways.

IMO, he is very happy where he is and the deal will get done. Might be a little higher than GFC started with but thats just good work by the Doggies to get us to spend more $$. End result, IMO, will still be the same.

GO Catters

Id like to know , what they think they have that would get a trade done. If they offering 600 , then I guess their R1 plus a player like Honeychurch min.

The debate is about Bilcavs verus Henderson .i a very short time that Bilcavs being playing football his done more then Henderson has being in the Afl system since 2008 he does not warrant being paid $500 thousand dollar a year .I would paying Bilcavs more money then Henderson .The thing is Bilcavs will continue improve at rapid rate .

. The money Henderson is linked to is a bout right for his size and experience. Check Frawley last year.

Are there any dog supporters who can actually shed any light on whether you guys are interested/put an offer on the table for Blicavs? i face palm every time this guy posts.

That being said, don't see Blitz leaving the cattery anytime soon.
None of the guys in the know have heard anything regarding us and Blicavs. Pretty much everyone thinks this guy is full of it. He's said a lot of unusual things in the past. I'd be absolutely stoked if the dogs could get Blicavs, but there is no evidence at all that we're even in the race.

Mark Bilcavs is facing a hard decision whether to accept Geelong offer him 3 year deal for a $1 million for that period where as the Western Bulldogs have offered him 5 year deal for $3 million for that period .What do you guy think does he take Geelong offer or Bulldog one ?

Have to ask the question - How can this fit under the cap? - Hogan one million, Carlisle offered 600+ and Blicavs 600.

if you ask me he works well with Geelong's Structure. don't thing he would be as effective with the Doggies.

Mark Bilcavs is facing a hard decision whether to accept Geelong offer him 3 year deal for a $1 million for that period where as the Western Bulldogs have offered him 5 year deal for $3 million for that period .What do you guy think does he take Geelong offer or Bulldog one ?

This is what you posted on the Geelong board. So which is it?
Hi guy I am just letting you know my club have offered Mark Bilcavs figure near $4 million over 6 year whereas you team has offered 2 year deal at $350 thousand year.

This is what you posted on the Geelong board. So which is it?
It's 5 year at $600 thousand a year buddy I made a mistake on your board with years and money .i went back to person who told that information in last few days it likely Bilcavs will stay with Cats .

It's 5 year at $600 thousand a year buddy I made a mistake on your board with years and money .i went back to person who told that information in last few days it likely Bilcavs will stay with Cats .
You're just making up crap mate. You've got NFI what you're talking about.

am I the only one that, while rate him as an ok player, doesn't rate him as anything exceptional?

Isn't a ruckman, isnt a forward & isn't a back. I guess you can say he plays in the midfield where he averages the following

19 disposals, 4.5 marks, 0.3 goals & 6 tackles. He's ok as a 3rd man up but really, by going 3rd man up you're out of the contest. I just don't see where he fits in as an AFL footballer.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Joel Selwood - 800k per year
Patrick Dangerfield - 1.2m a year
Tom Hawkins - 800k per year

You can only fit so many players on big money.

Don't think it's dropping the ball whatsoever. If Blicavs was a money hungry mercenary then perhaps that'd be the case, but he's clearly not.

Sorry, but you don't know anything.

It's easy to assume everyone's a great bloke who loves the club, but the reality is, if he's being offered triple the money and years in his deal, and Geelong don't make a competitive offer, then there's a big chance he's gone.

Not saying he'll go to the Bulldogs or that he won't re-sign with the Cats, but nobody here knows whether or not he'd accept another club's offer.

am I the only one that, while rate him as an ok player, doesn't rate him as anything exceptional?

Isn't a ruckman, isnt a forward & isn't a back. I guess you can say he plays in the midfield where he averages the following

19 disposals, 4.5 marks, 0.3 goals & 6 tackles. He's ok as a 3rd man up but really, by going 3rd man up you're out of the contest. I just don't see where he fits in as an AFL footballer.
Nah, he isn't outstanding in any position to me.. It's impressive where he's come from no doubt and he may continue to improve but I don't see him ever being a super star.

Blicavs:
GM 12
K 7.9
HB 10.9
D 18.8
M 4.6
G 0.3
B 0.2
T 6.1
HO 14.3
* SC * 109.8

Add 4.17 clearances per game
10.33 contested possessions per game

Was trained over preseason as a tall defender
New to playing as a midfielder, averages 14 hitouts a game.

Very hard to match up on (ask pendlebury)

at the moment he is more than an 'ok' player

Blicavs:
GM 12
K 7.9
HB 10.9
D 18.8
M 4.6
G 0.3
B 0.2
T 6.1
HO 14.3
* SC * 109.8

Add 4.17 clearances per game
10.33 contested possessions per game

Was trained over preseason as a tall defender
New to playing as a midfielder, averages 14 hitouts a game.

Very hard to match up on (ask pendlebury)

at the moment he is more than an 'ok' player
Plays as a mid yet averages less than 18 disposals?

name a mid who also gets 14 hitouts a game

The only player in your team that averages more contested possessions a game this year is Priddis. Priddis and shuey are the only ones that average more clearances this year from west coast. Only Priddis and selwood get more tackles per game.

He is not yet able to get cheap possessions but he is very very good on the inside. and the ability to get his long arms in and effect disposal of the opposition as well.

Last edited:

It's easy to assume everyone's a great bloke who loves the club, but the reality is, if he's being offered triple the money and years in his deal, and Geelong don't make a competitive offer, then there's a big chance he's gone.

Not saying he'll go to the Bulldogs or that he won't re-sign with the Cats, but nobody here knows whether or not he'd accept another club's offer.
People were saying the same thing about Tom Lonergan last off-season as well but he stayed with Geelong. Most players nowadays are pretty loyal, until they become free agents, then it depends on a range of different factors.

I think you can probably take off about $150K - $200K for Selwood + Hawkins there. We've also got McIntosh's contract coming off the books ($400K), probably 2 out of the Stevie J/Bartel/Kelly/Mackie/Stokes/Enright group won't go around next season (meaning different contracts can go on the veterans list). We also had around $600K or so freed up last off-season to have a go at James Frawley, so Salary Cap wise we're doing ok I think.

Didn't really play as a pure on-baller until round 3, and there's also been games where he's been the bonafide ruckman (when Stanley hasn't played mainly).

Probably a more important stat is 38 tackles in the last 4 weeks, becoming very valuable in that area of his game.

Context. He does play ruck, and can play forward or back, and mid. But you have to understand what sort of player he was a year ago, to the start of this year to now to see the staggering improvement.
Some of the rating of him is based on what he could be, not what he is right now, but he is close to our most effective player now. Some of these numbers are crazy though, based really on 10 or so good games.

I do. He's not going anywhere.

In what position?

Ruck rover as he is now. He is ranked 12th in the competition for total SC points this year and is playing a new role. He is 24 and has only been playing footy for three years. He is easily the best runner in the competition and is 198cm and takes a reasonable mark. He is also 7th in total tackles and 16th for hit outs in the AFL. His big weakness is his kicking which is below average by AFL standards but not awful.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back