Opinion Mark Blicavs

Remove this Banner Ad

If Lonergan and Taylor stay fit Blitz plays second ruckman. That is where he is most useful to us presently and every game he can put under his belt helps him. Like any player (except freaks) he needs a minimum of 50 senior games to get pace and feel of AFL footy. Especially so if you are not of a footy background and you are playing a rucking role.

In other words I expect next season he will be 20-30 % better as a player and ruckman. He will be not only best 22 then but probably well inside that figure.

I agree Jon, on his current upward trend he could be anything.
What I'm starting to like is his ability to take a contested mark, and that will make him an option when we're coming out of defence under pressure.

I just went back to the thread you directed me to where I omitted Blitz in selections.
And I read a few pages and noticed you asked me a number of times who I'd replace him with. And I never answered that question.
Sorry about that.
And you've asked in the last couple of pages here who I'd replace Blitz with.
No worries. I thought it was strange you weren't replying.

If they went with 2 rucks.....
I'd take any of these options first. Maybe not permanently, but I would at least trial it.

Thurlow as a medium sized defender.
Stringer, Schroder, or even Jansen as a midfielder.
Brown or Hartman as forwards.

Plenty of options right there for dedicated position players.

No one is going to run as well and therefor be as versatile as Blitz.
Blitz has almost made it impossible to drop him with his improvement.
First of all, in summary I agree with your last line. That's the heart of it.

Also, they played two rucks plus Blicavs for nine games already this season for a 7-2 record. I can't see them suddenly becoming shy of it given his recent improvement.

Finally, my argument in summary is this: none of the suggested replacements you name would lead to a net improvement to the performance of the side if they replaced Blicavs. It's subjective. There's no right or wrong but that's my view of it. That's even without mentioning the "versatility" aspect of it (which I gather is the source of your "compromise" comments.

I actually want to see a lot more of all those guys you mention but at the expense of injured or "managed" older players, not Blicavs who is clearly improving in leaps and bounds (no pun intended) learning his trade in the ones.

Finally, my argument in summary is this: none of the suggested replacements you name would lead to a net improvement to the performance of the side if they replaced Blicavs. It's subjective. There's no right or wrong but that's my view of it. That's even without mentioning the "versatility" aspect of it (which I gather is the source of your "compromise" comments.

But we don't know that. They could be better. None of them have gotten near 36 senior games, which is what Blicavs now has under his belt. As you say - it's wholly and purely subjective. So there really is NO WAY of knowing who will be better. It's impossible to judge unless they get that opportunity.

But we don't know that. They could be better. None of them have gotten near 36 senior games, which is what Blicavs now has under his belt. As you say - it's wholly and purely subjective. So there really is NO WAY of knowing who will be better. It's impossible to judge unless they get that opportunity.
Exactly. But I'm saying they should be getting opportunities, just not at the expense of a rapidly improving player in his own right.

Exactly. But I'm saying they should be getting opportunities, just not at the expense of a rapidly improving player in his own right.

Yep. To be honest right now I can't see Simpson + McIntosh playing as a ruck combination unless Blicavs gets injured. The positive in that is it doesn't hinder the balance of the team elsewhere; it won't be 3 tall defenders + Mackie + Blicavs, and it won't be 2 tall forwards + Blicavs either.

(Yeah I know. Sorry I was being a bit of a stirrer. This thread ain't about TV but what a talent he has, just wish he'd use it more.)

Back on topic. Blitz is one of the fastest developing footballers most of us have seen up close. Could be anything, or I guess nothing. Very exciting for us and him.

Man you can stir me like that anytime, as I said it's just my opinion and yeah this is about Mark Blicav's, and he's blown me away with his adaptability from extreme athletics to Aussie Rules it's amazing.

I must admit to being a little biased with him having been involved in senior athletics and knowing how hard that sport is, but of course it's non contact.
His willingness in and for the contest has amazed me, and now he's getting some size about himself the future is really looking good.
His versatility and ability has pretty near cancelled one of the big boy rucks, (personally I prefer Simpson) I just want to see Mark presenting more and pushing those disposals over 20, it's not far away.

Last edited:
See if you can work out whos these stats are.

One is blicavs. The other guy has played more than double the games, and earns about 800k.

All averages of course.

Disposals.
(A) 12.19
(B) 10.97

Contested possession
(A) 9.03
(B) 4.83

Marks
(A) 1.97
(B) 3.31

Goals
(A) 0.65
(B) 0.25

Hitouts
(A) 20.19
(B) 8.72

Tackles
(A) 3.59
(B) 2.75

1%
(A) 2.59
(B) 2.64

Man you can stir me like that anytime, as I said it's just my opinion and yeah this is about Mark Blicav's, and he's blown me away with his adaptability from extreme athletics to Aussie Rules it's amazing.

I must admit to being a little biased with him having been involved in senior athletics and knowing how hard that sport is, but of course it's non contact.
His willingness in and for the contest has amazed me, and now he's getting some size about himself the future is really looking good.
His versatility and ability has pretty near cancelled one of the big boy rucks, (personally I prefer Simpson) I just want to see Mark presenting more and pushing those disposals over 20, it's not far away.

Great post meto
I think he's becoming the true utility we all hoped for.
Interesting that someone mentioned his willingness to do the extras on the track and outside of that learning about the game.
That dedication and determination is a great thing to bring from his elite Athletics background to the Club :thumbsu:

See if you can work out whos these stats are.

One is blicavs. The other guy has played more than double the games, and earns about 800k.

All averages of course.

Disposals.
(A) 12.19
(B) 10.97

Contested possession
(A) 9.03
(B) 4.83

Marks
(A) 1.97
(B) 3.31

Goals
(A) 0.65
(B) 0.25

Hitouts
(A) 20.19
(B) 8.72

Tackles
(A) 3.59
(B) 2.75

1%
(A) 2.59
(B) 2.64
Nic Nat A, Blicavs B.

I knew you could not leave it alone… You sound like a Unicef ad...

When I see you get down to the VFL games and show me a VFL player that consistently runs the distances with the same effort and pace, repeatedly thru 3 games that TV does, with the same stats and DE%, then we can talk. Till then, drop it. You hang s**t but offer no solution.

Go Catters

How then can it be put?...in plain terms a fringe player like Stringer or Sherringham or even Smedts would make way to give opportunities for others based on only 13 possession games.
It just so happens we do have young talent l'd rather not see strangled by lack of opportunity, because a mature senior can't rise above a standard which constantly sees others dropped yet he maintain a place.
I'd like to see Hartman before the same old. I know who I'd put my money on in a foot race that's the solution!
Cheers F2G.

Last edited:
How then can it be put?...in plain terms a fringe player like Stringer or Sherringham or even Smedts would make way to give opportunities for others based on only 13 possession games.
It just so happens we do have young talent I would rather not see strangled by lack of opportunity, because a mature senior can't rise above that standard which constantly sees others dropped yet he maintain a place.
I'd like to see Hartman before the same old. I know who I'd put my money on in a foot race that's the solution!
Cheers F2G.

I won't disagree about Hartman's potential to be good. Fair point. But his tank is just no there. Having seen him in the VFL and also AFL games, he just struggles in the repeated efforts. Thats not a knock on him, all kids do. And right now we need as much run as we can get late in games. We saw that the other night.

If you want to drop people based purely on stats, then Kersten and Tommahawk have to go to. Toohey and Bourke got more touches in the VFL on Sat. Does the same metric apply to them now?

Go Catters

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No worries. I thought it was strange you weren't replying.

First of all, in summary I agree with your last line. That's the heart of it.

Also, they played two rucks plus Blicavs for nine games already this season for a 7-2 record. I can't see them suddenly becoming shy of it given his recent improvement.

I actually want to see a lot more of all those guys you mention but at the expense of injured or "managed" older players, not Blicavs who is clearly improving in leaps and bounds (no pun intended) learning his trade in the ones.

Totally agree with the bolded.
We need to manage SJ , Bartel ,Kelly , Lonergan , Boris and Selwood to make sure they are cherry ripe for Finals.
Can't have them running up and down on the same spot when it really counts

I won't disagree about Hartman's potential to be good. Fair point. But his tank is just no there. Having seen him in the VFL and also AFL games, he just struggles in the repeated efforts. Thats not a knock on him, all kids do. And right now we need as much run as we can get late in games. We saw that the other night.

If you want to drop people based purely on stats, then Kersten and Tommahawk have to go to. Toohey and Bourke got more touches in the VFL on Sat. Does the same metric apply to them now?

Go Catters

I respect your comment re VFL but I don't want to see the kid stifled like Schroder has been, Hartman's a big kid now and he's talented.
DB, you know coming off halfback/wing you want more than he's giving, but having said that I loved his knock on to Hawkins for that last goal.

I just think with his overall numbers we need to use his spot for the likes of Hartman sooner rather than later.

Great post meto
I think he's becoming the true utility we all hoped for.
Interesting that someone mentioned his willingness to do the extras on the track and outside of that learning about the game.
That dedication and determination is a great thing to bring from his elite Athletics background to the Club :thumbsu:

This comment is strange F2G; I'm pretty sure one or two footballers have dedication and determination as well. It isn't a quality that only other sports have.

This comment is strange F2G; I'm pretty sure one or two footballers have dedication and determination as well. It isn't a quality that only other sports have.

Not saying its' an exclusive thing Partridge - plenty of others have this in spades as well.
Just making the link between this and all the extra work he is reported to be doing. I think his development has been exponential and from a coaching perspective I wonder where his ceiling will be , especially with a few more kgs and preseasons under his belt. He is an absolute keeper for mine !

Not saying its' an exclusive thing Partridge - plenty of others have this in spades as well.
Just making the link between this and all the extra work he is reported to be doing. I think his development has been exponential and from a coaching perspective I wonder where his ceiling will be , especially with a few more kgs and preseasons under his belt. He is an absolute keeper for mine !

Sure, and it's all extremely positive. But anytime any player from another code or sport is mentioned, there's inevitably a ton of guff about having amazing determination or athletic ability or whatnot. It was the same with Folau, it was the same with Hunt (unlike them, Blicavs can actually play the game). Nothing that professional footballers wouldn't have anyway (that's not directed at you either F2G).

I think he's referring to is the personal aspect of his dedication to transform himself as a footballer. No doubts he also brings a standard that's off the charts in the realm of endurance running, the club is the better for his talent which raises the bar for the others.
A 3:44 1500mts isn't guff .... cold hard fact! You wouldn't know squat when it comes to running by the sounds.

Last edited:
I think he's referring to is the personal aspect of his dedication to transform himself as a footballer. No doubts he also brings a standard that's off the charts in the realm of endurance running, the club is the better for his talent which raises the bar for the others.
A 3:44 1500mts isn't guff .... cold hard fact! You wouldn't know squat when it comes to running by the sounds.

Where did you get this from?
He's running 2k just under 6min currently. Still fast. But not bannister fast.

Wow Nic Nat has Blitz covered but really given his reputation and cost he is not that far ahead. Both will probably get better - but for the money and the ability to get on the park each week Blitz seems a good deal to me.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back