Opinion Mark Blicavs

Remove this Banner Ad

I'd love to see Blicavs' GPS stats for that last quarter. With no break he was just popping up at contest after contest and looked like he'd barely blow out a candle at the end. Whenever somebody says AFL players are elite endurance athletes they should be shown that quarter because that was a genuine elite endurance athlete making 35 other guys look like statues in comparison. There's a heap more to his game than just running but my god can he run.

Watched the last half yesterday and was really impressed with Blitz.

Lots of 1%ers. Smother of kicks and handballs. Now that he's comfortable with game he is showing a real footy brain and it reading the play and running to space su

I'd love to see Blicavs' GPS stats for that last quarter. With no break he was just popping up at contest after contest and looked like he'd barely blow out a candle at the end. Whenever somebody says AFL players are elite endurance athletes they should be shown that quarter because that was a genuine elite endurance athlete making 35 other guys look like statues in comparison. There's a heap more to his game than just running but my god can he run.

That reminds me of something I noticed and wanted to mention- he looks quicker off the mark this year. First step or two, he's definitely faster than at the start of his career. It might be better anticipation but I doubt if it is just that.

During his press conference Scott said that whilst he though Blicavs was a defender many on the match committee didn't and thought was better suited to being a midfielder. Scott admitted that they might be right and he was coming around to their way of thinking. Watching his 3rd and 4th quarters I'd have to agree. He was fantastic at making room for Selwood, and he is deceptively good with his hands. Not to mention he's 95kgs (Fyfe is 90 and JPK is 96). Watch this space.
I'd love to see him play midfield for at least some of the game against North (depending on whether we need him in defence). Just to see whether he can continue to add value there.

The handball intercept he did on the back flank that lead to the Motlop goal in the last was exquisite
After he smothered the ball out of play in the previous passage of play. Two smothers in thirty seconds to lead to the Motlop goal. And then he kicks the sealer.

After he smothered the ball out of play in the previous passage of play. Two smothers in thirty seconds to lead to the Motlop goal. And then he kicks the sealer.
Scott could barely contain how impressed he was and is with Blicavs. That passage of play epitomised why.

"We rate him very highly," Scott said.

"He goes up in my estimation every day because he works so hard at his game and is driven to be a good teammate. For such a young inexperienced player to be leading through that example is inspiring."
At some point in the future, people here will stop being worried about how to utilise his endurance, whether he's tall enough to ruck, strong enough to be a KPD, or quick enough to chase Brad Hill and just realise he's a pretty decent and improving footballer in his own right, albeit one that doesn't fit any traditional mould.

He is shaping as one of very few big positives we will take from the season.

Scott could barely contain how impressed he was and is with Blicavs. That passage of play epitomised why.

"We rate him very highly," Scott said.

"He goes up in my estimation every day because he works so hard at his game and is driven to be a good teammate. For such a young inexperienced player to be leading through that example is inspiring."
At some point in the future, people here will stop being worried about how to utilise his endurance, whether he's tall enough to ruck, strong enough to be a KPD, or quick enough to chase Brad Hill and just realise he's a pretty decent and improving footballer in his own right, albeit one that doesn't fit any traditional mould.

He is shaping as one of very few big positives we will take from the season.
It looks as though he is being shaped to play key defence this season however.

Which I understand from a team perspective, but don't really think will give Blicavs the best use to exploit his skills.

Which I understand from a team perspective, but don't really think will give Blicavs the best use to exploit his skills.
Agree. I reckon key defence was the plan but Sunday gave them cause to rethink that. This week will be interesting.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't think too many non-Geelong people have cottoned on to how good this guy is. He just gets better every game he plays. At this stage I don't think it would be wise to put a ceiling on how good he could be or where he should play.

My new favourite player (while Motlop's contract remains unsigned).

wrong about what? he still cant ruck and he isnt in our three top defenders when they are fit. in most teams he may be there now but not ours.nothing has changed there. that is all ive ever said.
I thoroughly disagree. He's better than Rivers, especially in that third-tall role where body strength is not such an issue. He's become so much better overhead than he was, he is way more mobile and provides a better option on the way out of defence, too.

His pack marking has improved out of sight. He's not elite in that regard (yet), but he is very, very good.

EDIT: I assume you mean tall defenders.

I don't think too many non-Geelong people have cottoned on to how good this guy is. He just gets better every game he plays. At this stage I don't think it would be wise to put a ceiling on how good he could be or where he should play.

My new favourite player (while Motlop's contract remains unsigned).

You're absolutely right. But to be honest I don't reckon many Geelong people have either.

Yeah I think key defence might be a bit constrictive too. But I'd like him to get a fair bit of experience down there so he's an option if we need it.

Blics development has been amongst the best in the competition...........whenever he's spoken about by those in the know at the club all they ever say is he just wants to 'learn learn learn'. Gives you absolutely everything week in week out!

The thinking might be he could be the back line answer to a Nick Reiwoldt, blow the forwards tank by making them chase him around and being too stuffed to be effective?

Blics development has been amongst the best in the competition...........whenever he's spoken about by those in the know at the club all they ever say is he just wants to 'learn learn learn'. Gives you absolutely everything week in week out!
Go on, compliment the coaching staff, I double dare ya ;)

I'll put my hand up as one who had doubts, not so much about his ability as the fact I thought he should have been learning a specific position in the VFL, Sunday's game has pretty much laid that idea to rest though.

His game, and the second half in particular was the best I've seen from him, not only shut down Rischitelli to a large extent but provided plenty of offensive drive as well, as mentioned that intercept that led to the Motlop goal at a crucial time was huge, as was the pressure goal he kicked.

Still not certain where his best position is (an old fashioned ruck rover perhaps?) but "if" he keeps putting in performances like Sunday's I couldn't really give a toss where he lines up.
[/QUOTE]

Yeah I think key defence might be a bit constrictive too. But I'd like him to get a fair bit of experience down there so he's an option if we need it.

I'd keep him down back. Scarlett showed you can play that role whilst generating attacks, marking on the wing, and gathering plenty of pill. I think he could play that role very well, the discipline required suits his attitude, and the skill set he has makes him very unique down there. An asset.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back