Mark Harvey comes home

Remove this Banner Ad

Feb 18, 2003
Hoppers Crossing
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Liverpool
In a move to strengthen Essendon's coaching staff, Mark Harvey, previously assistant to Kevin Sheedy at Essendon, assistant coach and senior coach at Fremantle and assistant coach at Brisbane, will return home to be assistant at Essendon for the next 2 years.

Harvey's on-field deeds would be well known to many.

3 premierships.
Regular Victorian representative.
AA CHB.
More than 200 games.

His work in coaches boxes is also arguably well known, having been involved in the box for Essendon's 2000 success. Also having been a senior coach in his own right at Fremantle for a couple of seasons.

Welcome home Harvs.

Really rated him as Freo's coach, the whole Ross Lyon thing was extremely unfair on him (but still a good move for the club)

Official club statement: http://www.essendonfc.com.au/news/2014-10-22/harvey-appointed-assistant-coach

With the start of pre-season just around the corner, Essendon Football Club is pleased to announce it has finalised its senior coaching panel after appointing Mark Harvey as an assistant coach on a two-year deal.

Harvey, a triple premiership player, returns to coaching after a year away from football and will begin his new role at the True Value Solar Centre next week.

Essendon General Manager Football Performance Neil Craig said Harvey would add valuable experience to the Bombers coaching group.

“We are delighted to have secured someone of Mark Harvey’s calibre and experience,” Craig said.

“After a thorough recruitment process with a number of number of high quality candidates interviewed for the role, Mark’s knowledge of the game, experience as a senior coach and passion to return to football left us in no doubt he was the right person for our coaching structure."

"We are confident Mark is the best fit for our football club. He will be able to make an immediate impact on our plying list and play an important role alongside assistant coaches Matt Egan and Nathan Bassett, and in supporting senior coach James Hird."

Harvey said he was excited to be returning to Essendon and working closely with the club’s talented list.

“It’s really exciting to be back at Essendon,” Harvey said

“After a year away from football, I feel really refreshed and energised about the role I can play to help the team succeed."

“We have some terrific talent on our playing list and I’m looking forward to working closely with Hirdy and the other coaches to support the players."

“It’s an exciting time to be back in with the club I love and called home for so many years of my life. Pre-season is less than two weeks away, I can’t wait to get in and start working.”

Harvey played 206-games with Essendon before retiring in 1997. He is a three-time premiership player, best and fairest winner, a leading goalkicker and two-time All-Australian. After hanging up the boots Harvey turned his attention to coaching. He started his career as an assistant at Essendon. His tenure with the Bombers spanned eight seasons under the watchful eye of Kevin Sheedy and included the successful 2000 premiership campaign. Harvey held the senior coaching role of Fremantle from 2007 to 2011. His most recent role was as an assistant coach at Brisbane for the 2012 and 2013 seasons.

Earlier this year, Harvey was inducted into the Essendon Football Club’s Hall of Fame.

Key Achievements
Premiership Player - 1984, 1985, 1993
Pre-Season Premiership Player - 1984, 1993
Leading Goal Kicker - 1985
Best & Fairest Award - 1992
All-Australian - 1985, 1993

Makes it palatable to members when the inevitable happens I guess...

They already have mumbles... the need for a senior assistant is moot. However the need for a senior coach, acceptable to the members could be paramount.
You don't actually know what Craig's role is do you

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can see why they did it and he's a perfectly legitimate choice given his credentials but jeez when the crap really hits the fan down there I think what they are going to need is someone from way way outside the boys club.

I hope he brings this jumper out more often.

802319-pn-mark-harvey-leaves.jpg

Made more excuses than you'd like to see from a head coach, as soon as you start blaming injuries and adopt the "waiting for the cavalry to arrive" mindset you're done.
Do you ever wonder if you could have went one step further last year if he was still there? I do. I think Ross is only good at making Grand Finals. Nothing more.

He was gone. There is no way Caro has a leak in the club anymore so I'm guessing the sacking was far down the road of a done deal that the club had told AFL house, which explains Caro's knowledge, and had told Thompson, which explains both his speech and Robo. Clearly being told to stay away is because he was to be sacked.

Hird stared them down which made them pause long enough to see a player and supporter revolt save his skin.

They wont sack him now.

you have to admire the courage and fortitude of the Essendon board

Club in great hands

Can see why they did it and he's a perfectly legitimate choice given his credentials but jeez when the crap really hits the fan down there I think what they are going to need is someone from way way outside the boys club.

From a pure coaching point of view, I agree, but I have reached the opinion that "Boys Club" is precisely the people at Essendon like it to be run. They only question people from outside the club.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back