Roast Mark Hutchings the new McGinnity

Remove this Banner Ad

Even this season, before he got his first game, a lot of people were calling for him to be picked because he was apparently one of our best during preseason. After his first game, opinions certainly changed dramatically.
I was keen for him to debut to see what he could offer last year, but saw enough then to know he wasn't what we need. Would rather pump games into sheed.

I was keen for him to debut to see what he could offer last year, but saw enough then to know he wasn't what we need. Would rather pump games into sheed.
I reckon we should have both playing at stoppage to see how they could work together.
They may be a great unit with shuey.

Hutchings,shuey, sheed, natanui, selwood.

Sounds like a premiership midfield right there.

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

I reckon we should have both playing at stoppage to see how they could work together.
They may be a great unit with shuey.

Hutchings,shuey, sheed, natanui, selwood.

Sounds like a premiership midfield right there.

No Wellingham? I reckon he is better on the inside than out.

I remember watching him play in 2010 for Collingwood and thinking that he was seriously close to becoming elite. He was just so classy in traffic. Seems to have stagnated and even gone backwards a little since then...

Last edited:

I remember watching him play in 2010 for Collingwood and thinking that he was seriously close to becoming elite. He was just so classy in traffic. Seems to have stagnated and even gone backwards a little since then...

He's definitely stagnated since 2010. He was at his best when he was given quality time in the centre at Collingwood under Malthouse. Since then he's been thrown around in between the wings, pockets and flanks and hasn't been able to get a constant crack in the middle. Hopefully Simmo can get him in there more now with Lecras returning to the forward line.

Yeah I missed him. Good point.
But all to no avail while the curly one remains.

In foresight and in hindsight Tunbridge would have offered us a lot more than Hutchings today in a critical area of the ground. Now against better sides this might not be the case in the short term, but given the frequency and quality of the ball coming into our forward line today we'd have benefited from another player that can efficiently generate scoring shots across the half forward line.

I noticed on numerous occasions that Priddis and Hutchings were attacking the same contested ball. Hutchings wasn't that great, but if he was tagging Whitfield then I suppose he went OK. I'd rather see Tunbridge take his spot though.

According to Erbenz, Hutchings was tagging Whitfield.

Whitfield finished with 16 touches. Hutch had 13 and 2 goals.

I may be incorrect in the end but I was speculating as to why he didn't come off and Gaff did. But Simmo said Gaff has had ankle soreness and has being playing through it, so that probably explains why Hutch stayed on the ground anyhow.

I hope he was tagging Whitfield though, 13 touches is a dud amount for a midfielder, even with the goals.

I may be incorrect in the end but I was speculating as to why he didn't come off and Gaff did. But Simmo said Gaff has had ankle soreness and has being playing through it, so that probably explains why Hutch stayed on the ground anyhow.

I hope he was tagging Whitfield though, 13 touches is a dud amount for a midfielder, even with the goals.

The goals, and touches themselves were mainly in junk time too TBH.

If he wasn't tagging, he was easily our worst player today i think. Which, to be honest again, is probably what we want from depth.

What are you guys smoking? Hutchings wasn't tagging Whitfield.

Whitfield has just come back into the side after missing a decent chunk of games. He generally plays up on the wing but I'm guessing because of Hampton out (and probably to ease him back in) they put him at half back for most of the game where Hutchings happened to be playing for the majority of the game. No tag, just a match up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hutchings is a contested ball winner , gets some confidence and he can improve . A keeper I reckon anyway , tough player that allows Shuey and Masten to play more outside !
Good depth player.
He will never be the elite midfielder we are looking for but has a dip and he won't die wondering.
He will get the best out of himself.
Weather that's good enough only time will tell.
I can see his place eventually be taken by Sheed.
But it won't hurt to get games into him now.

Well apparently Mginnity is really good.
BEST RECENT STEAL: Patrick McGinnity
McGinnity has been pushed out of the Eagles' best line-up now and is playing in the WAFL, but his tally of 72 games is the best of any late pick at the club by a significant margin. A capable run-with player or small defender, McGinnity played 21 games in 2012 – including two finals – as a defensive forward.

Well apparently Mginnity is really good.
BEST RECENT STEAL: Patrick McGinnity
McGinnity has been pushed out of the Eagles' best line-up now and is playing in the WAFL, but his tally of 72 games is the best of any late pick at the club by a significant margin. A capable run-with player or small defender, McGinnity played 21 games in 2012 – including two finals – as a defensive forward.

Just like Priddis. ;)

To be fair to Paddy Mac, I reckon he could be a very effective tagger ala Crowley... but we can't afford that in our midfield mix atm...

He was originally considered a poor mans Matt Priddis. With Matt starring this year that's no longer really a knock. I like what he's been contributing the last couple of weeks and hope he keeps it up.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back