MARRARA STADIUM (TIO Stadium) DARWIN - DISCUSSION

Remove this Banner Ad

yeD94f292d14af74a.jpg

Main Grandstand at Marrara (TIO) Stadium
BUILT: 1991
CAPACITY: 15000 (4500 Seated)
GROUND RECORD: 17500, Indigenous All Stars vs Carlton, 2003 [Premiership Season record: 14100, Dogs vs Port 2006]
FIRST HOSTED AFL: 2004 (Premiership Season),
MAJOR EVENTS HOSTED: AC/DC Concert 1996, Australia vs Bangladesh Test Match 2003, Australia vs Sri Lanka Test Match 2004, Home ground of NT Thunder in the NEAFL Northern Conference and home of AFL NT competition
GAMES SCHEDULED 2012: R8 (20/5) Dogs vs Gold Coast, R17 (21/7) Melb vs Port, NRL Game between North Queensland and Syd.Roosters in April (Rd7, Date TBA)

This is the northern most venue that hosts a Premiership season match (slightly more northern than Cairns IIRC). Much over the years has centered on the lighting and drainage issues that the ground has suffered and hopefully it will be rectified (as well as the outdated scoreboard!).

I think the Force play a pre-season game vs. the Brumbies here this year. Not sure on the date and all I know is that the game is being played in Darwin.

Think that was played at the Rugby ground which is in the same complex as TIO is located in. The complex also has a World Game stadium which has hosted pre-season A-League games, hockey fields which Australian teams have trained on in the past, an indoor arena and a proper running track which I once ran on.

Think that was played at the Rugby ground which is in the same complex as TIO is located in. The complex also has a World Game stadium which has hosted pre-season A-League games, hockey fields which Australian teams have trained on in the past, an indoor arena and a proper running track which I once ran on.

yeah you're right but I'm pretty sure the rabbitohs will play a home game here during the regular season.

This is the northern most venue that hosts a Premiership season match (slightly more northern than Cairns IIRC). Much over the years has centered on the lighting and drainage issues that the ground has suffered and hopefully it will be rectified (as well as the outdated scoreboard!).

any ground bar Etihad with the roof closed would have had issues. it had 3400mm of rain in 4 months with 3 nights a week training and 6 -8 games played on it. no hope, of course it struggled.

lighting is OK, hard to control the power infrastructure. Even the NFL found that this year when Candlestick went black twice in the middle of a MNF game.

[YOUTUBE]IpurQM8iRbo[/YOUTUBE]

The lights fail so often there has to be something has to be something seriously wrong.

Rugby league would be better off playing at richardson park the lights never failed there.

and o'yeah

Hot and dusty except when its raining
gd help you if its raining
lousy view of the game where'ever you are sitting or standing
horrible food choice of hotdogs or stale meat pies.(bring your own food)

playing surface is pretty good these days compared to 10 years ago

bulldoze it please
bulldozer.jpg

The Michael long centre is in the process of being built at
the mcmillians road /nth suburbs/ahmat gate end of the ground, behind the goal posts
the rest of the article (along with the picture) is pie in the sky

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The stadium is an absolute shithole I would know as I have played there for St Marys in NTFL and I saw Fremantle vs Melbourne. I sat in the Maurice Rioli stand. The changerooms are very small as well I know this from experience.

recently visited this stadium and went to a NTFL game... its in need of a massive upgrade!!
the NT government should invest and fix it up.. make it look like spotless stadium or metricon..
maybe they would attract more events if they did this. its a craphole right now. and those light towers! wow are they the old VFL light towers? lol

recently visited this stadium and went to a NTFL game... its in need of a massive upgrade!!
the NT government should invest and fix it up.. make it look like spotless stadium or metricon..
maybe they would attract more events if they did this. its a craphole right now. and those light towers! wow are they the old VFL light towers? lol

How many times a year is it used, and does it justify that kind of spend?

Why ask, clearly the poster would have considered this .... surely ... its a craphole suggests they are across ALL the issues ...

http://www.austadiums.com/stadiums/stadiums_events.php?id=69

DATE

SPORT EVENT
09/07/16, 7:10 PM Australian Football AFL: Melbourne d Fremantle
11/06/16, 5:00 PM Rugby League NRL: Eels d Titans
08/08/15, 7:30 PM Rugby League NRL: Eels d Panthers
04/07/15, 7:10 PM Australian Football AFL: West Coast Eagles d Melbourne
09/08/14, 8:30 PM Rugby League NRL: Eels d Raiders
05/07/14, 7:10 PM Australian Football AFL: Fremantle d Melbourne
20/07/13, 7:10 PM Australian Football AFL: Brisbane Lions d Melbourne
06/07/13, 7:00 PM Rugby League NRL: Panthers d Titans
01/06/13, 7:10 PM Australian Football AFL: Western Bulldogs d Port Adelaide
01/02/13, 7:30 PM Rugby Union Super Rugby Trial: Brumbies d Force

That could be the exact problem... the current infrastructure isn't luring the 'big' events they need. If it gets a re-furbishment - perhaps not a total re-development as has been suggested, it could start to lure those big events... An extra AFL match a season, Extra NRL match, A-League match? Concerts, big local events?
Take Ballarat for example, how many events did they have prior to the re-development? Even now with the dogs playing two to three games in the long term they're still hoping it'll attract other events that it wouldn't previously had the chance to host.
It could be more than a sports stadium, but a community hub.

That could be the exact problem... the current infrastructure isn't luring the 'big' events they need. If it gets a re-furbishment - perhaps not a total re-development as has been suggested, it could start to lure those big events... An extra AFL match a season, Extra NRL match, A-League match? Concerts, big local events?
Take Ballarat for example, how many events did they have prior to the re-development? Even now with the dogs playing two to three games in the long term they're still hoping it'll attract other events that it wouldn't previously had the chance to host.
It could be more than a sports stadium, but a community hub.

Who do you think will sell another game up north?

Also darwin has a small population. Concerts and other events need bums on seats, and what demand is there for them?

No point building a 30k stadium that is barely used outside a.handful of games

Who do you think will sell another game up north?

Also darwin has a small population. Concerts and other events need bums on seats, and what demand is there for them?

No point building a 30k stadium that is barely used outside a.handful of games
I'm not saying a 30k stadium but a re-furbishment. Although similar it has a bigger population than Ballarat...

I'm not saying a 30k stadium but a re-furbishment. Although similar it has a bigger population than Ballarat...

How many people are within 90 mins of darwin?

How many people are within 90 mins of ballarat?

Ill start with the light towers. They are designed for wind loads that you'll never see down south. They have to be engineered to withstand at least a Cat3 cyclone and probably more. So 200kmh speeds and they are probably engineered up to 250.

It actually gets used a lot. NTFL, NEAFL, the AFL game, the other one in the NT is in Asp, 1 NRL game.

Its hard to use it for cricket because the climate isn't cricket friendly in the southern cricket season. Ie. we've had 400+mm of rain, this week. The climate also stops it being used for anything other than footy in the wet and even then sometimes the footy has to move too. Just too rough on the surface.

It would have to be a huge concert to not have it at the DEC, Convention Centre, Amphitheatre. Territory day is at Mindil Beach and that gets 20K+ and the fireworks off the water work better so that's out. V8 Supercars dont really work at Marrara.

Darwin is about 135k all up including the rural area out to about 100km.

Also its a really really really long way from pretty much anywhere else in Australiaof any size. Flight times to sydney and melbourne get us to Singapore, KL, nearly all the way to Manila, etc. its less than 2hrs in the air to Bali.

Yeah. Its not great and needs a bit of work on the lower levels. The upper level is pretty nice. They could put seats around the ground pretty cheaply but usually there just isn't the demand/justification.

Maybe one day. What it really needs is to be put in a dome and air conditioned. Lol.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back