Martial Arts Enthusiasts

Remove this Banner Ad

Jan 27, 2007
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Blackpool FC Perth Glory FC
Any one here practice any form of Martial Arts or combative sports? Thought I just make a thread up to see if anyone trains in any style, so we can have a nice little conversation. I want to mention that I'm going to be lucky enough to meet UFC Legend Royce Gracie this week, when he visits my club.

Any one here practice any form of Martial Arts or combative sports? Thought I just make a thread up to see if anyone trains in any style, so we can have a nice little conversation. I want to mention that I'm going to be lucky enough to meet UFC Legend Royce Gracie this week, when he visits my club.

Used to train abit of BJJ in osborne park at a place formelly called West Coast Brazilian Jiu Jitsu but since changed the name to Heske Fight Club..Was a MMA addict for a few years untill i f*cked my knee up twice. Do u train?? Do u know why Royce is in Perth, seminars??

I train, funnily enough, at Beston Gracie West Coast BJJ & MMA in Rockingham [not sure if my club is related to the one you mentioned]. I don't mind the MMA. I don't my training take it too seriously, just like to train with the lads, have a laugh and a bit of fun and keep fit and [try] have good technique.
Yeah, Royce Gracie is doing a few seminars around Perth this week at a few clubs and he's dropping by our club tonight. I'm really looking forward to watching him in action.

Well freo4eva, had the pleasure of meeting & watching Royce Gracie first hand. The technique is phenominal. He wrapped up all our instructors.
For or a nondescript average build and size, he is a machine.:thumbsu::thumbsu:
Displayed some really good techniques and to me it was very interesting to hear him speak on how his father developed BJJ and what his vision of it is and how the schism between pure fighting/self defence and competition/points style BJJ has evolved. Spoke a little on Gi & no Gi training and comps as well.

deshi-do martial arts for 13 years.
Started when i was five
Best junior 1998
Third place at shito-ryu karate championships in both kata and sparring held at moonee ponds in 1998
Trained by Kong Wing Lo's student

To give an idea of the standard of where i train, 6 blackbelts from around the area moved to my dojo to learn our style because their "sensei" knew nothing about the artform.
1 of the people whom i trained with was junior national champion

I Love Karate

Well freo4eva, had the pleasure of meeting & watching Royce Gracie first hand. The technique is phenominal. He wrapped up all our instructors.
For or a nondescript average build and size, he is a machine.:thumbsu::thumbsu:
Displayed some really good techniques and to me it was very interesting to hear him speak on how his father developed BJJ and what his vision of it is and how the schism between pure fighting/self defence and competition/points style BJJ has evolved. Spoke a little on Gi & no Gi training and comps as well.

Thinking of going to his Melbourne seminar, but it is a bit expensive. Luis Heredia who is one of Rickson Gracies first black belts is coming to our club in Richmond so might do that one instead. Also had the chance to train with Carlos and Jean-Jaques Machado and Bob Bass.

Thinking of going to his Melbourne seminar, but it is a bit expensive. Luis Heredia who is one of Rickson Gracies first black belts is coming to our club in Richmond so might do that one instead. Also had the chance to train with Carlos and Jean-Jaques Machado and Bob Bass.

It's a little pricy [$130.00 at my club], however I have never met him so I was happy to splash out.
I feel I got something out of it and it should help my game.
Hit me with a link for your club if you have a page.
Here's mine http://www.gracie.com.au/ obviously West Coast School

deshi-do martial arts for 13 years.
Started when i was five
Best junior 1998
First place at shito-ryu karate championships in both kata and sparring held at moonee ponds
Trained by Kong Wing Lo and his student

To give an idea of the standard of where i train, 6 blackbelts from around the area moved to my dojo to learn our style because their "sensei" knew nothing about the artform.
1 of the people whom i trained with was junior national champion

I Love Karate

Sounds good man. Do you have any links for your dojo?
I've trained in TKD Hapkido & Ninjutsu (very similar to Ju Jitsi & Hapkido) since 88. I really enjoy Hapkido. I try to blend it in with BJJ. Never really trained in karate but have admired it.

Sounds good man. Do you have any links for your dojo?
I've trained in TKD Hapkido & Ninjutsu (very similar to Ju Jitsi & Hapkido) since 88. I really enjoy Hapkido. I try to blend it in with BJJ. Never really trained in karate but have admired it.
I'll try to get the details for you. Martial Arts in general is such a beautiful artform. I've taken time off it because i can't afford it now that i'm at uni, hopefully will get back into it soon enough. Hapkido sounds very interesting where do you train for that?

We're a Jill Machado affiliate: http://www.dominance.com.au/main/ . Do you guys compete at the Nationals in Melbourne?

I'm not sure to be honest. Our top guys and Instructors do go all over the place, so they might just.
I reckon our east coast schools would enter some people.

Nice site btw. Looks like a good club with good instructors.:thumbsu:

I'm amped about a no-gi bjj comp I'm going in next month. Just a small local perth ametuer comp for the local clubs, but it's my first one, so I'm excited.
I just hope I don't get owned too early.:D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nice vid here..
[youtube]j5Lsbs7JTaM&[/youtube]
The kimora is one of my favourites.... though I never have sparring partners like this

I'm not sure to be honest. Our top guys and Instructors do go all over the place, so they might just.
I reckon our east coast schools would enter some people.

Nice site btw. Looks like a good club with good instructors.:thumbsu:

I'm amped about a no-gi bjj comp I'm going in next month. Just a small local perth ametuer comp for the local clubs, but it's my first one, so I'm excited.
I just hope I don't get owned too early.:D

Yeah it's a good school. We got 3 black belts a brown belt and heaps of purples and blues. I've competed a few times and had some success. Let us know how you go, and pop your head in the combat sports page if you don't already. Would be good to get the info on seminars etc there. Spose I should get of my arse and do some myself.

I train, funnily enough, at Beston Gracie West Coast BJJ & MMA in Rockingham [not sure if my club is related to the one you mentioned]. I don't mind the MMA. I don't my training take it too seriously, just like to train with the lads, have a laugh and a bit of fun and keep fit and [try] have good technique.
Yeah, Royce Gracie is doing a few seminars around Perth this week at a few clubs and he's dropping by our club tonight. I'm really looking forward to watching him in action.

Just been browsing through some old pages. I live in Rocko :)() and was looking for a new club to start out at. I've heard about 2 places in the Rockingham area, is the one you go to on Day rd in Rockingham? I've heard its pretty good there, I'm interested in learning some BJJ and a bit of Muay Thai... I'm not looking to become the next BJ Penn so if its all ********s who think they are bigshots I'm not interested but if its a friendly joint with guys willing to help out beginners I'd be keen... Let us know any info. Cheers.

Just been browsing through some old pages. I live in Rocko :)() and was looking for a new club to start out at. I've heard about 2 places in the Rockingham area, is the one you go to on Day rd in Rockingham? I've heard its pretty good there, I'm interested in learning some BJJ and a bit of Muay Thai... I'm not looking to become the next BJ Penn so if its all ********s who think they are bigshots I'm not interested but if its a friendly joint with guys willing to help out beginners I'd be keen... Let us know any info. Cheers.

They do both at my club as well as a few other things. Here the link. http://www.thearenamma.com.au/
It's a good friendly environment I find and team orientated as th club enters a lot of comps from BJJ throught to shooto and MMA.
They do beginners classes which are a gentle intro to grappling, throws & takedowns. We do Muay Thai & Boxing as well for fitness and self defence and if you want to take it a little further. Come down and have a look at the Fundamental Classes (beginners). PM me if you keen for a look.

For anyone who is interested, in the last few months my older brother has started a business importing MMA gear in from overseas.

Online store: http://www.westcoastmma.com.au/

Also, West Coast MMA is open every weekend at the Wanneroo Markets. I'll be there helping out this Sunday until about 2pm.

This is all legit stuff straight from the manufacturers including Tapout, Venum, DeathClutch, Punishment Athletics, Hayabusa, UFC and Silver Star.

Worth checking out.

Only 2 years late, spewing I never found this thread.

I started MMA training in April 2011 and more or less moved onto BJJ from the start of the year. I competed in my 1st comp in June this year and loved it, ended up pulling in a silver for my efforts. It's becoming an obsession, I'm always sore but I don't care. Training in Wangara at The Armoury/Submission factory.

Nice, so this will be you then..

Michonne_the_walking_dead_thumb.jpg

What kind of full contact stuff did you do?

Nichonne is a chick so not quite.

Bob jones kickboxing
TKD
Jujitsu
Jeet Kune Do
Bujinkan
Little bit of wing chun

The tkd and jkd not so much contact. The jkd was great though. I preferred to do the combat oriented stuff at the time as I was a copper and you really can't kick box with someone when you're wearing a uniform...hence the bujinkan for a while. You have to find the right instructors for that though...most of them are a bit wushu washy.

The aikido instructor I have at the moment is great as he's more into realism and not just jumping around the place which you see with a lot of aikido.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back