Martin or Luey?

Mar 27, 2006
Bribie Island
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Aussie Cricket Team
I think Martin taking the main duties could be the support that Leuey needs to finally flourish and avoid injury. Now we just need Martin to stay injury free too. Maybe together they can help each other stay fit.

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk
You ARE the Voice and I agree.

Agree with most of the thoughts on here. We're light up forward so playing both seems logical. Both are excellent players when they're on. Can't drop Martin when he's in this kind of form.

As POBT said, given we were nearly forced to give Archie a debut earlier than you'd hope, it'd be a nice 'problem' to have. I hope seeing Martin's form does spur Leuey to his best when he's fully ready, although I imagine he'll probably be managed for the last few games and might just be put on ice this season.

I don't see it as an 'or' choice really. Worst comes to worst throw Martin in as a ruck rover like WC do with NicNat :p

Robbo18!

All Australian
Nov 24, 2013
Perth
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
My call is Steff Martin.
He moves fantastically well for a big fella. He's winning clearances off his own bat!
Few games now with even scores on hit outs but also taking contested marks and picking up 20 plus touches in games as well.
To me he looks much more robust and gives more grunt in the guts which is what we need.
We get out muscled a lot at stoppages and at the centre bounce so I reckon his mobility and strength is working for us and will only get better.
My next pick is Trent West for similar reasons but not so much in the robust capacity.
I think Leuy is getting too proned to injury and this stage of his career is where he is in his prime years.
I reckon if you tucked Martin head to head with Leuy, Martin would win.

Big Lion

Club Legend
Aug 10, 2012
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Can't believe i'm saying this but Martin.

Leuy is the new Josh Drummond. Talent yes, an able body no.

Martin has beefed up heaps as well, Danks not his training partner is he?

acuguy

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 31, 2000
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
If Martin managed to keep this form up for the next 6 weeks, he will be talked about as someone in All Australian form without being selected.

To be honest, it is the likelihood that next year we will be able to play Merrett, Close, Martin/Luey up forward which makes me inclined to take the best available mid if McCartin is not available.

Martin is the most improved player in the competition. Let's hope Richy, Redden and Luey all come back from LTI with this rate of improvement!

Dec 1, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
If Martin managed to keep this form up for the next 6 weeks, he will be talked about as someone in All Australian form without being selected.

To be honest, it is the likelihood that next year we will be able to play Merrett, Close, Martin/Luey up forward which makes me inclined to take the best available mid if McCartin is not available.

Martin is the most improved player in the competition. Let's hope Richy, Redden and Luey all come back from LTI with this rate of improvement!
This week should have told you that we need a key focal point desperately. While the intent was there we didnt even get 10 goals. Martin/Leuy might get 1 goal a game and that is a BIG might as they don't look like kicking goals when stationed there.

As others have said, you can get mids everywhere but you can only get a good forward in the top 5/10 picks.
This seems like the year when we could have got Lynch but we chose Polec instead.

Martin will eventually lose form for you guys, most likely when you try and play him with Luey. He was only ever good when given first and only ruck duties at Melbourne.

We'll take Luey off your hands if you don't want him though...

QLDatHEART

Team Captain
May 27, 2014
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Martin will eventually lose form for you guys, most likely when you try and play him with Luey. He was only ever good when given first and only ruck duties at Melbourne.

Your First pick and he's yours

QLDatHEART

Team Captain
May 27, 2014
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Ok.... maybe a bit cold on a good club man.... but it kinda makes sense

carnthemlions

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 19, 2012
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
San Francisco 49ers, Hertha Berlin

This x1000
Great as a no.1 ruck when given the opportunity. But it's just not sustainable, and he can't play like this with another ruckman in the team.

This has all happened before.

Aug 17, 2012
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
This x1000
Great as a no.1 ruck when given the opportunity. But it's just not sustainable, and he can't play like this with another ruckman in the team.

This has all happened before.

Simple solution.

Every time Martin is about to ruck, we send Leuenberger off the ground for blood rule. (Get Rockliff to punch him or something)

Patch him up, and bring him back on after the ruck contest.

Why is this so hard?