Martin or Luey?

Remove this Banner Ad

Will Leigh get involved?
deanmartinjerrylewis.jpg

O.K. that's not Leigh, here's a picture of him in his playing days.
th

Last edited:
A friend I know is telling me he has heard from within the club the Leuy will be traded this year. Don't think I believe him.

A friend I know is telling me he has heard from within the club the Leuy will be traded this year. Don't think I believe him.

I wouldn't believe him either. Why would we do that now? We re-signed him just last year and would be trading him out at his lowest value after an injury riddled year.

I wouldn't believe him either. Why would we do that now? We re-signed him just last year and would be trading him out at his lowest value after an injury riddled year.
Unless a team with a top 10 pick is in need of a ruckman. I could see Collingwood (if they manage to get Moore with a 2nd rounder), WBD, or even Carlton all in need of one. WBD and Carlton only really have one decent ruck with Minson career almost over and Kreuzer is just not going to make it imo. Saints have left too much to kids and Grundy can't ruck solo as a 19 year old.

Unless a team with a top 10 pick is in need of a ruckman. I could see Collingwood (if they manage to get Moore with a 2nd rounder), WBD, or even Carlton all in need of one. WBD and Carlton only really have one decent ruck with Minson career almost over and Kreuzer is just not going to make it imo. Saints have left too much to kids and Grundy can't ruck solo as a 19 year old.

I don't think any of those teams would offer their top 10 pick for Leuie as much as I like him.

This question has become a lot more clear as Martin comes up against a really good tap ruckman who can also win his own footy at ground level. With 3 useless key forwards we could also do a lot worse than having one of Leuey and Martin resting forward.

Last edited:
Firstly for the record I think it would be silly to trade leuenberger, we have seen first hand how much ruck depth can play a huge hand in a clubs fortune throughout a season.....But if we are entertaining the idea of trading the Berger, perhaps with him being a WA boy, and cox retiring, and with lycett possibly returning home, then maybe the eagles could offer up the first rounder, or if they were really nice jack darling!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Apparently Martin has just bought and moved into a new apartment up here, which probably suggests where his intentions lie.

He loves the Brisbane city lifestyle as well, I dont think we need to worry about convincing him to much. He'll get a solid 3 year deal from us now.

I do hope we cotton ball Luey though. Martin can match McIntosh and well, no one can truely say they can beat Sandilands, but he will certainly be competative.

How much a year does anything think he will get? He has played half a season of elite games but didn't show much prior to that. Good time to go out of contract for himself personally.

Depends entirely on how he wants to structure the deal. Could easily get a one or two year $500k deal, but with the big question marks over his durability if he wants a longer term deal I'd think he'd be closer to $300-400k

I love Leuey. He was my first 'sponsor child' and the signed pic hangs in the wall in my office. But I'll admit that I've never seen him do the things Stef has done in the past few games. Stef is cleaner with the ball, better below his knees and infinitely more mobile between the arcs.

I can see the possibility of a Hawks or Eagles situation though, with Leuey in the David Hale / Dean Cox role, taking a few centre bounces and pushing forward, while Stef runs amok until the red cordial wears off - when Leuey moves up to give him a chop out.

Trent West is a 'break glass in case of (inevitable) injury', and hopefully Archie develops to move up in a couple years.

When we finally actually have a key area of the ground covered, we shouldn't immediately think about weakening that area.

Footy Classified mentioned Hawthorn and Collingwood are into Stefan, but Lloyd suggested he'll re-sign with the Lions.

No other info save for the above.

Can understand the Pies....But the Hawks seems a bit weird... Hale retiring? Not happy with McEvoy?... Lowden not coming along?

Even though they were up against a couple of very ordinary ruckman tonight I think we got a good taste of what's to come.

Although hopefully Stef won't play as a ruck rover when we get our midfield back.

After last night, I am really looking forward to this combo next year, Martin led our disposals with 32.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back