FTA-TV Masterchef 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

Couple of points from the last couple of episodes and where I see it going.

1. Shannon Bennett comes across as a w***er. Half the time it didn't even seem like he wanted them to be there.

2. My god I'm sick of desserts in pressure tests. I know that they often contain a lot of technical aspects, precise measurements and techniques, but SURELY somewhere out there a chef in Australia has come up with a main or an entree that's technical, unique with some very difficult individual elements. It couldn't be that hard to find with the connections the show has.

3. The next challenge I reckon Brent will go. Laura and Emelia are the clear two best cooks, with Laura you know she will pack flavour into the main course and you know Emelia will nail the dessert tonight. Brent is probably the most improved over the competition but he's more of a risktaker which can tend to backfire in these last challenges. Laura will stick to what she knows which 9/10 times the judges adore her dish.

4. George wants to bone Emelia.

5. I really hope Laura wins, at her age she has so much time ahead of her she could make a great career out of the food industry. I just have a feeling though that it will be Emelia who takes the title. It wouldn't be undeserving, but I don't think she's very well liked by the public.

Agree with a previous post that the restaurant challenge showed how far they have to go. Very good home cooks that will need years & years of experience to work at a place like that.

Also agree with the cutesy names - Brenty
puke.gif

Emelia for the win

And now finally Laura and Brent has the house to themselves to really "celebrate".. ;) Yes I'm aware that Brent has a missus.

Brent has also finally won me over too with his massive improvement, happy for either of them to win it. This is coming from someone who wrote off cpt topknot out of the top 20!

Interesting to see that Emilia and Laura faced similar problems. Laura sacrificed presentation and texture for flavour, whereas Emelia sacrificed flavour for presentation and texture. Emilia is very hit and miss with her desserts. Can make an amazing dessert but is as equally likely to screw it up.

Not really surprised George offered Emilia a place at The Press Club, he really seemed to get attached to her throughout the series. TBH I'd be happier with the apprenticeship than winning Masterchef. Though, having both would be nice. ;)

Damn I missed the episode where Emelia finally gets eliminated!!!! Will be happy either way with whoever wins tomorrow.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting to see that Emilia and Laura faced similar problems. Laura sacrificed presentation and texture for flavour, whereas Emelia sacrificed flavour for presentation and texture. Emilia is very hit and miss with her desserts. Can make an amazing dessert but is as equally likely to screw it up.

Not really surprised George offered Emilia a place at The Press Club, he really seemed to get attached to her throughout the series. TBH I'd be happier with the apprenticeship than winning Masterchef. Though, having both would be nice. ;)
Apprenteship vs winning.

Depends, if you get yourself a good manager and they market themselves or their cookbook well theres potential to make a lot of cash quicker. Theres also tv gigs and guest appearances which will earn you a lot more than being a pastry chef apprentice will, if you play it well.

Damn I missed the episode where Emelia finally gets eliminated!!!! Will be happy either way with whoever wins tomorrow.

I'll say it lol

You should have missed more, maybe she would have left earlier!

And Emillia stuffs up another dessert, she isn't that great and she goes to water in a kitchen setting. She would prob be great somewhere like Zumbo or Burch & Purchase, where there isn't that pressure to get customers meals constantly.

Also hasn't George given out jobs fairly regularly to either 2nd or 3rd?

as soon as they showed how good Brent's crackling was on that pork I said to my wife 'He's through, the judges love crackling.'

Pretty decent night for all really. Laura had some service issues because she picked a time consuming dish preparation wise and was fortunate that her mousse served just as well as a base than a topping. Emelia could have done a smear of mandarin around the outside of the dessert instead of diluting the acidity by turning it into chantilly cream. She knew she stuffed it. 6 great dishes, 1 with less balance and that was the difference ... that and the fact that Laura was always going to go through.

This wrapped up a coupla months ago IRL didn't it? Tipping Laura is now preggo and the sprog comes out with a top-knot.

And congrats to the sook nailing an apprenticeship. Massive difference between pottering around the home kitchen to impress a few mates, and cranking out 17 hour days for $10/hr. Cooks are hard, she's not. There'll be tears before her first service.

And Emillia stuffs up another dessert, she isn't that great and she goes to water in a kitchen setting. She would prob be great somewhere like Zumbo or Burch & Purchase, where there isn't that pressure to get customers meals constantly.

Also hasn't George given out jobs fairly regularly to either 2nd or 3rd?

as soon as they showed how good Brent's crackling was on that pork I said to my wife 'He's through, the judges love crackling.'

No surprise George gave her the apprenticeship as he referred to her as the best pastry chef the competition had seen a few times. She was no where near as good as Julia (runner up from 2012) but George did not like her because she would get the tears out in times of trouble.

No surprise George gave her the apprenticeship as he referred to her as the best pastry chef the competition had seen a few times. She was no where near as good as Julia (runner up from 2012) but George did not like her because she would get the tears out in times of trouble.

There was a better one last year as well, forget her name off the top of my head.

Brent has really surprised me, could be a dark horse to go the whole way... he takes things in, he is reading books he is learning things off the other contestants and doing it better than them... major suprise for me as I never saw him in the top 15 let alone top 7

Get around me :cool:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back