Matador Cup Match 12 - Queensland v Victoria - North Sydney Oval

Remove this Banner Ad

I think you have a few factors to consider. One, the shocking treatment of Victorian players by CA. Brad Hodge woulve been Australias best test batsman over the last 10 years yet he was inexplicably dropped from the team and never given a fair go. But best stay away from the debate of Brad Hodge

Also its harsh to leave Wade out of that list. Just because hes from Tasmania, he couldnt get a shot down there and moved to Vic. He was developed here and played some cracking innings for Australia. Took him 9 matches to reach both Haddins and Watsons century tally, and he scored both centuries as the lone century scorer twice, something both Hayden and Watson never achieved.

Dave Hussey was another one. Couldnt get a shot at WA, moved here and became a fine batsmen for Vics, and for Australia. Would he have contributed to Australia if he rotted away at WA? And he was also never given a chance at test level?

Cam White has never ever been given a real go by Australia at tests, and was dropped from the ODI due to one bad season and has been in form ever since with no recall

You mention Rogers, but when he moved to Victoria, why did it take them so long to get him back in the side. Dominated since day 1 since he got back in the side, and once again its too late to forge a proper career

Klinger, test quality batsmen never ever ever given a shot by Australia.

My second point is, would any batsmen I just listed, have been given as many as 50 tests if they had scored 2 test centuries in a total of 50 tests like Watson and Haddin?

CA has shot themselves in the foot over victorian players just as much as CV has struggled

Theres a lack of young developing crickets in the country right now, not just in Vics. Look at the batsmen next in line for Australia, Do any of them excite you?
You're preaching harshness by CA, but there's a reason why none of them were very successful: because they have so many obvious flaws that contribute to them not being able to succeed at test level.

Hodge didn't get along with anybody. Both Ponting's camp and Clarke's camp hated him. That never allows you to succeed at test level.

Wade is a terrible wicket keeper. That's why he's not playing test cricket. Pure and simple. Most of his development was in Tassie.

Dave Hussey possibly has the worst batting technique I've seen. It allows him to play more aggressively but he would be lucky to average 15 at test level.

Cameron White is possibly the biggest * up on CV's part in its history. He was given captaincy way too early and it affected his batting and his bowling. It was as bad a decision as Melbourne appointing Trengove as captain. Although it's a fair point about the ODI's.

Rogers should have been in and stayed in the test side long before he came over. Irrelevant to Victoria.

Test quality batsman? Give me a break. Bloke was a poor FC player for Victoria (o hai CV development in capabilities) and became a solid FC batsman for SA. Nothing more

They weren't given 50 tests for the flaws I mentioned above.

And when I look at the potential future of Lynn, Burns, Silk, Handscomb, M Marsh, Warner, Smith and Whiteman I'm very excited by our future batsmen if developed properly.
That's an indictment on Victorian cricket

Hodge didn't get get a game because they wanted to bring back Damien Martyn and Michael Clarke and then get obsessed with an allrounder.
He was competing with Mike Hussey for the one spot available and you'd have to say the selectors made the right call.
If Hodge's bowling was a bit better at first class level he probably would have been ahead of North.

Rogers didn't get a game because unfortunately there was always someone better until they thought he was too old.
First Langer, Hayden with Hussey as the backup opener. And then Jaques came in after several dominant seasons and later Katich. The next time a position opened up, there was a young whiz kid in Phil Hughes scoring century after century and once Hughes got dropped the selectors were back in love with the idea of an allrounder.

The other guys didn't get a run because they weren't good enough

Haha you cant be serious about Hodge. His FC record was very good and he deserved his shot just like Mike Hussey did

The selectors got it spot on with Hussey
And they got it so wrong with Hodge
He took like a duck to water when he entered test cricket and was dropped after a 200 against a very good bowling attack
His treatment was the worst ive seen of a player. He wouldve been a 10 year test batsmen at a very high level if he was given a chance

And some of the players that got in ahead of him made it even more extraordinary. Andrew Symonds, recall of Martyn at the end of his career, Marcus North

There is no excuse for the treatment of Hodge and its quite sad to see such a talent miss out on such a promising career

The whole squad selected for that 2010/11 ashes was one of the biggest blunders in test match selection history. How some of those players were in ahead of Hodge is beyond me

As for the technique argument, fair enough what you say, but you cant seriously justify Watsons inclusion on technique. 2 centuries in his first 50 tests, from a top order batsmen, and one of the worst techniques I have ever seen in a top order batsmen. The amount of LBWS is just testament to that

Steve Smith is another one with horrendous technique. But he was given a shot. And since that shot, hes worked on improving it and you can see the improvement. But other batsmen have not been given that same chance

Remove this Banner Ad

Back