Review Match review v blues.. The good, the bad and Caleb Daniel

Remove this Banner Ad

Good teams find a way to win even when not playing well. These last two weeks have been a learning curve. Bevo will be working very hard to fix up the issues with our game plan. Hopefully we get Boyd back to cover (somewhat) for Roughie.

Kids are playing so well, shame for McLean but Rat is ready to come back in. Webb and Dale can come in and play a job too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vo
i was always confident (plus i had drunk the gin and popped the last vallium last week)
i think CD will do a Barlow and demand selection in 2015
his poise kicking and decision making were outstanding
8-5 and entrenched in the 8
GO DOGS
vodka and Valium are numbing the pain from a s**t game of football for me

Well another lackluster performance, Mclean very good, everyone else bobbed up here and there, rather 'Meh' overall though. Was not happy at all with the keepings off from last week making a return, but 8 minutes before time... is this a tactic, because it will bite us in the ass 100%. Need to throw that crap out the window, 1- it is ugly 2- it allows opposition to come at us and build momentum 3- we need %age atm, making the 8 may come down to the numbers in the end. just silly football.

The helmet? oh yeah, we have a player here. or Abracadaniel as my wife has named him.

Edit: feel Redpath deserves a mention, i thought he did more then many out there, but not sure the forward line looked any more potent tonight, hard to tell though, stringer was a shadow, Dahl and dickson out of character also. SHeesh even murphy was kickinng awry..

Last edited:

It's concerning the number of times we go for long periods without scoring. But a win is a win and Carlton have probably been the most improved side in the last month. Next week's game is no better than 50:50 however :oops:

It's concerning the number of times we go for long periods without scoring. But a win is a win and Carlton have probably been the most improved side in the last month. Next week's game is no better than 50:50 however :oops:
Hopefully the odds are worse, we play really good footy when we aren't favourites :p

I know it's hard to get ahead of ourselves with the way we've played the last couple, but I'm starting to think twelve wins could get us to finals.

A miserable game in a fairly miserable week for football. Our defensive structure is superb but we have lost some of our forward press and manic pressure from earlier in the season. Stringer has been carrying little niggling injuries but still performs, but what of Bonts? He can't get involved in the game.

Sometimes you don't appreciate a player till he's out and so it is with Toyd. He straightens us up so much and provides a focal point. Redpath laid a few big hits and grabbed a couple, but he doesn't help our structure as he pops up all over the place.

We were very lucky with Carlton's injury woes, losing Everitt and Cripps and maybe others, a better team with accurate finishers would have had us done like dinner tonight.

Though yes to Daniel & McClean. Toby triple effort and tackle by boundary line game highlight for me.

Toby McLean awesome showed confidence and comfort at
the level, shame he got hurt. Caleb Daniel had a similar
impact to Andrew Hooper in the final versus the Swans in
2010 in that his introduction WON us the game. Apart from
that happy to bank the four points in what has been a
very numbing week.

Enough said !

Not a game for the purists but congrats for the win. Really showed maturity in out muscling us when the game was up for grabs and then keeping us out of it when we could of had a crack at the end.

Wasn't a showcase of skill but it was of guts and I reckon both teams can be proud.

Hope you play finals. You will give your opponents a serious contest if you do.

Suns, Geelong and Collingwood over the next 3 weeks. We could win them all yet lose them all.. Its really hard to predict with the way we play week in week out

* yeah! A win's a win, very happy with that, 8 and 5 is a great place to be. Won three that we were expected to win, so that monkey's off our back now.

Boyd was massive in his 250th. Never expected anything less. What a gun and superstar.

Great debut from Caleb Daniel too, instant favourite, and looks to have the determination and intensity that has made Boyd's career so good.

McLean injury sucked, really hope it's not too bad. How awesome is it that last year we thought we had a great crop of youngsters, and with five picks lower than 25 we look to have added another 3-4 best 22s, as well as possibly a couple of stars as good as the top 10 picks. Must hit the draft hard again next year.

Lastly I thought Redpath was really good tonight, but never had anyone to kick to when had those marks 70 out. Red and Boydy double act take 2 please.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'll take the win but if we were playing top four sides we'd probably be getting hammered.

Positives tonight for me were Daniel, Mclean, JJ and Redpath's marking. We are finding a way to win which is good. Thankfully Stringer is a freak.

Negatives were Honeychurch and Dicko had a barry crocker. I'm worried about Bonti's form and it wouldn' surprise me if Dahlhaus is playing sore.

We looked tentative and uncoordinated for much of the night. Some of that has to do with Carlton's pressure, but a lot of it was to do with scoring chains failing due to poor decision making or poor skill execution. Until we fix this, we are only a middle of the road team.

Caleb made us look so much better because he brought energy to the contest and created space. He restored the balance that we had wrong when we had too many slow movers on the ground. I don't think Redpath, despite his many attributes, is good enough to be in ahead of Boyd. He is prone to fumbling and has a slow turning circle. Minson is slow to get rid of the ball which sometimes means the opposition end up with it.

When we lose clearances it appears to be because we don't defend all sides of the square. Difficult to tell on the tele but it seems we are on one side only? Not sure if this is the case or even why we would be doing it.

We seriously need one more player with elite speed / decision making and elite disposal. Either that or for the current players to more energised, and learn to kick under pressure.

Redpath actually looked ok in the ruck. If next week was at etihad I'd like to see red and Boyd, not sure how the trip up North and likely dewy conditions impact this. Maybe give Boyd another week.

Highlight of the day actually came from the commentary box, which is remarkable given the flogs that were in there.

Richo (talking about Caleb Daniel): He certainly looks little out there."
BT: "He is, Richo."

Did McLean do his shoulder? Would be pretty crap if he did. He's already cemented a spot in the team.

Caleb Daniel is now confirmed AFL standard. Too short? Not a chance.

Mitch Honeychurch was garbage.

I'll take the win but if we were playing top four sides we'd probably be getting hammered.

Positives tonight for me were Daniel, Mclean, JJ and Redpath's marking. We are finding a way to win which is good. Thankfully Stringer is a freak.

Negatives were Honeychurch and Dicko had a barry crocker. I'm worried about Bonti's form and it wouldn' surprise me if Dahlhaus is playing sore.
Dickson didn't get much of it, but he seemed to be one of the few to really apply forward pressure.

If Stringer didn't pop up with his freak goals, he might have been playing VFL next week. Unsighted in the 1st half.

Redpath was very very ordinary in the first half and didnt make enough effort at ground level.. Improved his output in the second half. Both Mclean and Daniel were the sparks in otherwise a very ordinary game.
I thought red path was pretty good in the first qrt and a half. Took some strong grabs which would have been dropped by other young forward prospects.

That was Minsons best game of the season by a mile. We won the clearances (unlike last week) and Wood and Krueger didn't do that much. His decision making is dubious prefer he sticks to the easier options when disposing of the ball. Still not sure what Roughys role in team is- has anyone got any idea what his injury is? On 3 AW they said lower back.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back