Roast Match selection committee

Remove this Banner Ad

I know we've won 4 games and they do have some credits in the bank but they are quickly disappearing. At some point Will had to come in. I was also very disappointed in selection on Friday when Macrae didn't make the cut. It was like 2014 all over again. I looked at the first centre square yesty. Cordy, Jong, stevens and Wallis. Not exactly awe inspiring. Our midfield depth is shot and when u have Cordy in the ruck, teaming up with B midfielders and you make a constant decision not to tag opposition midfielders....well that about summed it up for me. I hope the match committee see the light this week.

I believe we should be ready to play deep into the finals next year

Liber, wallis, Dahl and jj , talia, Roberts, Jong Stevens fully mature
Stringer, macrae, hrovat, hunter just about
Bonty thereabouts

If we could sneak an 8th possie this year it would be a great foundation

Aside from the hawthorn game it seems bev is hyping the side against the better teams and not so much against the lower teams

Melbourne effectively played a bye the week before and set themselves to beat us

We went all out to test the ladder leader and left ourselves flat v Melbourne ditto with Sydney to st kilda

In the long run this is probably the better plan but some easy wins go begging

The GWS game is now a monster for us to regain confidence and credibility

I think Goodes gets a game because he helps relieve the stress on our younger bodies. Cannot - just cannot - have a team of mids with young bodies who get continually pushed around and ridden into the ground when the tough stuff has to be done. Not week after week after week. He provides a ruck option in case our rucks go down. He provides a big bodied mid as a shield and enforcer for our younger players. Do we expect them to play without such protection? Confidence would be smashed without some player stepping up for that role. He is flexible enough to be played in different positions and strong enough to be able to take heat. Because if he is not taking it, someone else is....and that will wear them down....

We have to look after and nurture our budding stars of the future. I reckon Goodes is part of that, because, really, who else is there?

Do you think Goodes was actually doing that though? I watched him and he doesn't even make it to a lot of contests to help out.

I think Goodes gets a game because he helps relieve the stress on our younger bodies. Cannot - just cannot - have a team of mids with young bodies who get continually pushed around and ridden into the ground when the tough stuff has to be done. Not week after week after week. He provides a ruck option in case our rucks go down. He provides a big bodied mid as a shield and enforcer for our younger players. Do we expect them to play without such protection? Confidence would be smashed without some player stepping up for that role. He is flexible enough to be played in different positions and strong enough to be able to take heat. Because if he is not taking it, someone else is....and that will wear them down....

We have to look after and nurture our budding stars of the future. I reckon Goodes is part of that, because, really, who else is there?
Goodes may have the mature body but not the mature football mind at the quicker AFL level. Sets up and runs in wrong positions allowing his opponent break away from congestion forcing the younger bodies to put their bodies on the line to compensate for him

useless thread about everything covered already is useless
Come on mate...why do you have to rip in to my thread...dont like it dont read it ffs

Last edited:
Can't help but feel that ex-Bulldog legend Ed Barlow would be the ultimate mobile post-rucker right now.

#bringbackthecheese

I'm on my lonesome - but Cordy's work around the ground is clearly superior to Will's at the minute.

Disagree with selecting Jong (clearly not ready) and with Honeychurch out we need a replacement mosquito with annoying energy (hi Hrovat).
Macrae BOG last week should have come in.
Goodes was woeful in the first half, much better in the second half until his injury.

Dale has had his taste, must make way now for someone with a few pre-seasons under his belt.
What has he actually been doing around the ground. Watched his game intently yesterday and other than run around .... he did nothing to influence the game at all. Even the commentary team were critical of him when he was sent to the forward line!

Come on mate...why do you have to rip in to my thread...dont like it dont read it ffs
come on mate, this has already been covered in different threads last year and also covered in the clay smith injury.

We don't need tons of threads about the same topic

ffs ;)

come on mate, this has already been covered in different threads last year and also covered in the clay smith injury.

We don't need tons of threads about the same topic

ffs ;)
well pardon me

Ffs :)

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm on my lonesome - but Cordy's work around the ground is clearly superior to Will's at the minute.

Disagree with selecting Jong (clearly not ready) and with Honeychurch out we need a replacement mosquito with annoying energy (hi Hrovat).
Macrae BOG last week should have come in.
Goodes was woeful in the first half, much better in the second half until his injury.

Dale has had his taste, must make way now for someone with a few pre-seasons under his belt.
Nah, you're not on your own. Not by a long shot.

What has grant done wrong....his 1% have been great this year
I thought initially that it was a 'horses for courses' change for the SCG game in the wet then back in the next week. Not sure why he didn't come straight back in for the saints game. A massive error. Beveridges style works so much better when our mobile speedsters; he, Jong, Stringer etc are transitioning the ball from half back/wing when we're attacking. Has to come back in this week.

Would love to bring Mick Malthouse back here next year as an assistant. Has Footscray history and would have invaluable experience for our young side. Money shouldn't be too much of an issue as he has been on huge money for a long time now. Could be a good get.

What has he actually been doing around the ground. Watched his game intently yesterday and other than run around .... he did nothing to influence the game at all. Even the commentary team were critical of him when he was sent to the forward line!
Yeah, I think he was pretty bad this week, but has been better in earlier weeks. Gets to a lot of contests and takes some nice grabs. Kicked a few goals.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back